• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polylgon: Rise of The Tomb Raider - 2 hours of gameplay (exploration & collectibles)

dc89

Rise of the Tomb Raider, the sequel to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot, comes out next week. We've been playing it for review, and today we're sharing two hours of footage from our playthrough.

The video above shows off two early areas from the game: the Prophet's Tomb and the Soviet Installation hub area. Square Enix asked us not to show off any cutscenes in these areas, so you won't get much in the way of story spoilers outside of some incidental dialogue. However, there's plenty of gameplay, including showing off the sequel's new side mission system.

Watch it for yourself above, and stay tuned for our full review of Rise of the Tomb Raider next week.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/3/96...ours-video-walkthrough-exploration-sidequests

Currently playing the prequel thanks to Games With Gold and I am pretty interested in picking this up!
I searched and found nothing. Bury me in a tomb if old.

Edit: NeoGAF member v0mitg0d has also played the game. Here is a video he has created:
https://youtu.be/FtHdcIrBD8k

I haven't watched this myself yet so I am unsure if it includes content that some would deem as spoilers, cut scenes or dialog etc

So what's the marketing plan here? To jus show off the entire darn game? I swear its a new video every week. Kind of funny actually when you've got fallout which comes the same day being extra quite lol

orochi91

So what's the marketing plan here? To jus show off the entire darn game? I swear its a new video every week. Kind of funny actually when you've got fallout which comes the same day being extra quite lol

The plan is probably to ensure RoTR stays in the spotlight to some extent, since it's already dangerously close to falling off the radar, largely due to other holiday releases around the same time.

Either way, this game is destined to bomb hard.

The plan is probably to ensure RoTR stays in the spotlight to some extent, since it's already dangerously close to falling off the radar, largely due to other holiday releases around the same time.

Yeah, between cutting out 3 of the platforms that the previous title launched on, and coming out on Fallout 4's release date, I predict another "sales weren't as high as we wanted" from Square Enix.

blakep267

People have only shown off the same first 2 hours. Unless people think that's all there is to the game then I don't know what to tell you

I couldn't get into the original Tomb Raider games because of their controls. I wanted to and tried, but they just weren't for me. Even some of the last-gen games...

But Tomb Raider 2013 was fantastic and blew me away. I beat it twice and loved it. So this is one of my most anticipated games (probably top 3 with Fallout), and I expect good things.

Looks epic

JayB1920

Well they are just allowing people to show the same areas over and over so I don't think they are showing to much necessarily. Yeah there are a lot of videos but its all of the same 2 areas.

shandy706

Didn't watch Halo 5, not watching Fallout 4 videos, not watching these.

Look good guys?

I'm reading good reactions.

dugdug

Banned

I keep forgetting this game is even coming out. So, I guess these reminders are kinda helping?

Well they are just allowing people to show the same areas over and over so I don't think they are showing to much necessarily. Yeah there are a lot of videos but its all of the same 2 areas.
Ah thank you for such a kind response. That makes sense. And like a poster above me said they need to keep it fresh in people's minds constantly to because of what's coming out around and on it's release date

This still just looks like an expansion of the first game. Awaiting the real sequel tbh.

What would that entail? I can't imagine wanting anything more out of the series than a lot more tomb raiding, which they seem to have addressed. And then otherwise, it's the same basic gameplay in a new setting with a new story, which is what sequels usually are.

orochi91

Dude playing in the video is much better than some of the other ones who've demoed this level.

I keep forgetting this game is even coming out. So, I guess these reminders are kinda helping?

Lol, yup.

Marketing department: "Mission accomplished!"

Yeah, between cutting out 3 of the platforms that the previous title launched on, and coming out on Fallout 4's release date, I predict another "sales weren't as high as we wanted" from Square Enix.

I badly want someone to leak how much money SE was given for this timed exclusivity lol

Who knows, it might have been enough to cover the lost sales on other platforms.

Game looks beautiful.

And its cool that they let you turn off the hints/shimmering interactions. Make the player feel smart when they solve the puzzles in the tombs. Might have to pick this up sooner than I thought.

bcterps

Neo Member
Have any of the videos shown dual pistol wielding? Would love to see that back in the game
besides the cut scene at the end of the last game

I certainly think it's going to underperform unless MS and SE have very moderate expectations. They're probably going to do the 'RotTR is selling in line with expectations and consumers have defeated over 2,000,000 enemies in the campaign within the first week of sale' obscure PR nonsense.

zsynqx

One complaint is how gamey it all looks if that makes sense. The constant collectibles and xp popping up is not something I am that fond of. I actually laughed at loud when Lara looked at an old Russian sign and the game popped up with "foreign language now at Level 2."

BatSu

http://i.imgur.com/y9o8jKg.gif

giphy.gif

reKon

Banned
I'm sure it looks great, but how does the gameplay hold up. If it's just similar to Tomb Raider (2013), I'm not going to bother playing this until I get it for under $10 in a steam sale. I wanted to see the kind of improvement in AI and combat that we're getting from Uncharted 2/3 to Uncharted 4...

Megatron

We live in the era of lets plays where the whole game will be up on YouTube by launch anyway. Might as well come from the developer. This way we don't have a transformers devastation scenario where all the videos are of people who don't know how to play the game.

Arklite

Many streams up, presentation is on point with lots of small details and effects, especially on Lara. The tomb shown on a French stream was a big step up over the last game, at least.

lordy88

Popped in for second, jumped ahead to moment where a tooltip appeared stating "Missing rope arrows, Item needed to progress ahead".

Don't know about you guys, but I hate that. I want the feeling of "Oh cool Rope Arrows! Hmmmm, maybe I can use them in that area I came across before?"

Telling me where to use them before I even get them just makes it feel like I'm going through the motions instead of progressing due to my own abilities.

Same goes for telling me an optional tomb is nearby. For the love of god, let me discover something on my own. Why are they trying to remove that incredible moment of feeling like a badass when you go exploring and uncover a giant hidden area? That may be one of my favorite feelings in all of gaming.

Harlequin

Popped in for second, jumped ahead to moment where a tooltip appeared stating "Missing rope arrows, Item needed to progress ahead".

Don't know about you guys, but I hate that. I want the feeling of "Oh cool Rope Arrows! Hmmmm, maybe I can use them in that area I came across before?"

Telling me where to use them before I even get them just makes it feel like I'm going through the motions instead of progressing due to my own abilities.

Same goes for telling me an optional tomb is nearby. For the love of god, let me discover something on my own. Why are they trying to remove that incredible moment of feeling like a badass when you go exploring and uncover a giant hidden area? That may be one of my favorite feelings in all of gaming.

Even without any hint pop-ups, the freaking glow-in-the-dark rope and paint make it painfully obvious where you can use an item and where not so it's not like there'd be a real sense of discovery the way you describe it, anyway. If there's three layers of ugly, unnecessary, immersion-breaking white rope wrapped around something, that means you'll be able to go there sooner or later.

Arklite

For the most part, you often are just going through the motions. Modern TR is very focus tested and measured, made to have wide appeal, cool action, and relatively low stress. This game is obviously in the same vein as the previous, though there's certainly value in a highly polished action adventure. Personally, if I could, I'd be playing this over the inevitably janky Fallout next week.

Catdaddy

Just bought the Best Buy XB1 TR bundle this morning so I've been in total blackout mode since they started releasing all the videos.

FYI... the BB bundle is $399 with 1TB HDD and throwing in a $50 BB gift card - not sure how long that'll last.

CHC

Their marketing is becoming ridiculous haha....

Next trailer: "Tomb Raider - final hours of the game + end credits"?

Jobbs

Banned
Looks good overall. I like Lara's model very much but some of the animation transitions are pretty jarring/weird. Looking forward to playing it. It'll have to wait until after many hours of Fallout 4, though.

Harlequin

Their marketing is becoming ridiculous haha....

Next trailer: "Tomb Raider - final hours of the game + end credits"?

Well, to be fair a lot of the recent videos basically jus show the same three areas over and over again (most of which had already been shown off before that, at least in parts). It sounds like a lot when you keep reading the thread titles "30 minutes of gameplay", "Two hours of gameplay", "Watch the first 20 minutes", etc. but all of those basically just show different people playing the same parts of the game.

Looks good overall. I like Lara's model very much but some of the animation transitions are pretty jarring/weird. Looking forward to playing it. It'll have to wait until after many hours of Fallout 4, though.

Yeah, a lot of the animations look really "arcade-y" and unpolished (especially the climbing animations) which looks especially jarring when they're played on such a realistic and detailed character model.

CHC

Is that WTF in response to the 27 Mb gif or what?!

Well, to be fair a lot of the recent videos basically jus show the same three areas over and over again (most of which had already been shown off before that, at least in parts). It sounds like a lot when you keep reading the thread titles "30 minutes of gameplay", "Two hours of gameplay", "Watch the first 20 minutes", etc. but all of those basically just show different people playing the same parts of the game.

I know, I'm just being facetious. It's not like I'm going to watch all two hours anyway - a few minutes is sufficient to decide if it's something you're into or not.

Yeah, I agree. It was the same in the first game with the big popup saying 'SECRET TOMB NEARBY!' Gee, thanks game; I was worried I might have to think for myself for a minute there.

Top Bottom