• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 version of Black Ops III has scaling/dynamic resolution?

Warxard

Banned
I mean they aren't gonna drop the framerate for Campaign. At the same time B Ops 3 isn't really as good as AW's gfx...

Did AW have 1080/60

If the game never drops below 60 FPS then I think this is a good compromise, especially if the resolution drops are kept to a minimum.

Did AW have 1080/60
I believe on PS4 resolution was locked at 1080p but the framerate occasionally dipped below 60. XBO resolution was dynamic but had better framerate.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is 4 player co op really so strenuous?

AW was 1080p solid 60 on PS4, with no dynamic scaling.

What i'm hearing here is the game is dynamic res and still producing drops to the 40s randomly, sometimes when completely out of fire fight scenarios that would prelude framerate issues. How optimized or unoptimized is this game exactly??

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is 4 player co op really so strenuous?

AW was 1080p solid 60 on PS4, with no dynamic scaling.

What i'm hearing here is the game is dynamic res and still producing drops to the 40s randomly, sometimes when completely out of fire fight scenarios that would prelude framerate issues. How optimized or unoptimized is this game exactly??
AW was not completely solid on PS4

nib95

Banned
So basically, between something very similar to 900p and 1080p? That's not too bad tbh, though I'd have preferred 1080p the entire time obviously.

Inuhanyou

AW was not completely solid on PS4

By solid, i don't mean locked, i mean that "perceptual 60fps" term you guys at DF always used to use for COD games last gen. The one where drops to 50s and very high 40s still produce a smoother and consistent 60fps like gameplay

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
By solid, i don't mean locked, i mean that "perceptual 60fps" term you guys at DF always used to use for COD games last gen. The one where drops to 50s and very high 40s still produce a smoother and consistent 60fps like gameplay
Oh, I know. That's the thinking behind it, I'm sure, but "perceptual 60fps" doesn't actually work for me. I can see every drop and it's jarring.

Inuhanyou

Oh, I know. That's the thinking behind it, I'm sure, but "perceptual 60fps" doesn't actually work for me. I can see every drop and it's jarring.

For me personally, the level of acceptability is the standard of 360 level FPS stability. AW adhered closely to that. And that's what i'm expecting out of BO3, but it seems that is not the case.

Kayant

dark10x what do you think of their analysis tool? It's quite similar to yours at DF in presentation.

The aggressive switching between vsynced? 30fps cutscenes and 60fps gameplay seems like it will get quite annoying.

The scene with performance capture from Christopher Meloni was pretty amazing.

Dynamic resolution scaling is the BEST. Everyone should do this to maintain 60fps.

The dynamic framerate of animations in Halo 5 sucks, though. If you're further away from enemies, their animations are at 30-15fps instead. It's obvious and sucks.

RyudBoy

Not a problem for me. I actually think it's a fantastic solution to keep the visuals looking good while maintaining a solid frame rate. It's funny how some people who talked crap about it on XB1 are now suddenly OK with it.

Dynamic resolution is great for achieving 60fps. More games should do it.

Card Boy

Banned
I got a feeling it does have a dynamic res. Often the game looks blurry as fuck but other times it looks gorgeous.

Not a problem for me. I actually think it's a fantastic solution to keep the visuals looking good while maintaining a solid frame rate. It's funny how some people who talked crap about it on XB1 are now suddenly OK with it.

Dynamic resolution is great for achieving 60fps. More games should do it.

You should quote them and post their old quotes instead of the nebulous "some people".

Bgamer90

Banned
Dynamic resolution is a good solution (sorry for rhyming haha) if an action game's framerate isn't solid. Seems like it's still not solid but at least it's an improvement in comparison to if they didn't use this technique. I'm sure the PS4 version stays in 1080p more than the XB1 version.

Lucifon

I've noticed on Xbone when the game takes control away from the player (ingame cutscenes etc) the framerate switches to 30 capped. It's really jarring.

TBiddy

Dynamic resolution scaling is the BEST. Everyone should do this to maintain 60fps.

The dynamic framerate of animations in Halo 5 sucks, though. If you're further away from enemies, their animations are at 30-15fps instead. It's obvious and sucks.

Didn't Uncharted do this as well? It's not uncommon.

Both the XB1 and the PS4 are underwhelming in terms of performance, and so they have to do certain trade-offs, unfortunately.

thelastword

Banned

This game does not maintain 60fps though, so I don't know how dynamic resolution is beneficial here. Even outside of cutscenes this game falls to 30-40 fps. AW fell around mid 50's at odd times, but the performance I'm seeing here is much worse. This has nothing to do with the hardware, just the developer.

This game does not maintain 60fps though, so I don't know how dynamic resolution is beneficial here. Even outside of cutscenes this game falls to 30-40 fps. AW fell around mid 50's at odd times, but the performance I'm seeing here is much worse. This has nothing to do with the hardware, just the developer.

This game is quite arguably doing more graphically than AW if the volumetric lights are to go by. Why do you assume a game dropping performance in certain scenes is a dev problem and not the fact that hardware cannot keep up for periods of time?

Are they so incompetent they leave 40% performance on the table all the time or something?

Because without it, it would measurably dip even further.

Mr Moose

The ms bar is flat while it shows screen tearing in the fps part. I thought tearing happens when it drops frames?

Agreed. The campaign had drops and even worse, this horrible stutter that would happen when advancing through an area.

I made this video to show the worst example of it that I experienced in my playthrough. Most were way shorter than this, but yeah, this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaECp7sVs7g

They had stutter in BO1 on certain maps for the PS3, and they never fixed it; was really annoying.

Not sure what to make of the issues being raised, might wait a while before getting it to see if it improves.

Whats the netcode like for UK players on PS4? Is it all P2P for us non-US players?

Top Bottom