• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Game company kidnapped dev's sister to stop them from working with Nintendo

The story is taken from John Szczepaniak's book The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers Volume 2. Obviously, the game company (described as a 'leading Japanese game company') is not named, nor are the developers. Also, this alleged kidnapping story happened like 20 years ago.

The interviewee - speaking under the catch-all pseudonym Hideo Nanashi (the interview in question is in fact an amalgamation of several interviews with different people) - talks to Szczepaniak about cancelled titles and other topics before addressing what has to be one of the most explosive stories in the entire book - his sibling's abduction by gangsters at the behest of a leading Japanese game maker, which shall remain nameless:

My younger sister was kidnapped. [REDACTED] hired some gangsters to do it. They did it to make me stop cooperating with Nintendo.

While this all sounds stranger than fiction, a little context is called for. In Japan, the arcade industry had links to organised crime - namely the Yakuza. Nanashi explains:

In Japan, you have these evil companies that always crop up, and unlike the West, in Japan there's a perception that "play" is bad, the opposite of hard work. So amusement-oriented industries inevitably become infested with evil companies and ties to the underworld. Take arcades, for example. In legal terms, they're covered under laws regarding the entertainment and amusement trades. So they're managed under the same laws that regulate the adult, or "pink", industry. Because of that, the underworld gets involved. The only companies that have been able to do business while staying clean are probably Nintendo and Namco.

Nanashi then recounts the amazing kidnapping story in more detail, explaining that he hired a truck-mounted crane to drop an arcade machine in front of the company's offices to show he meant business:

It was one of their game machines. I dropped it in front of their offices, smashed it. And I told them that one of their employees would be next. To show them that I was serious. That way they would feel ashamed of their actions, you know? It was easy for me to get a [REDACTED] arcade cabinet cheaply, so I bought one from a distributor. I thought about robbing a [REDACTED] arcade, too, but that's much more difficult, and that would make me a criminal. With what I ended up doing, I could have been charged with something like unlawful dumping of garbage, but that's a minor offence. Whereas if I had robbed a [REDACTED] arcade, I would have been arrested. [REDACTED] was well-versed in using the underworld to get what they want, so if you're going up against them, you have to be smart. They're a big company, so if you try to fight them with ordinary methods, they'll work with the police and get the legal system to come after you. They might even pay off a politician, like a member of the National Diet. Who knows what they're capable of?
nintendolife.com claim they were able to "verify such claims and are aware of the identity of the company in question and the person being interviewed, but like Szczepaniak we are withholding names as not doing so could trigger legal action."

More details here: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ister_to_stop_them_from_working_with_nintendo

[REDACTED] me if old

Moosichu

I think I have a good guess who [REDACTED] might be. #fuc[REDACTED].
Although that is assuming this story is true, which I really, really, really, really hope its not. However, it wouldn't be that unbelievable if it was.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
damn kojima is metal as fuck

kojima a thug fo sho
53271a94795fa70f96881a0b7a3d0ad0.jpg

Real talk

Eolz

Yeah it's Sega.
Happened probably more than 20 years ago though, and wouldn't be that surprising sadly.

How will we ever comb through the enormous list of heavy hitters in the Japanese arcade scene who aren't Namco and had a vendetta against Nintendo 20 years ago

Yep I'm stumped

So the Yakuza games are roughly based on the actions of SEGA?

Sammy (the company that owns Sega) is one of the largest pachinko companies in Japan.

I heard someone offhandedly mention once that the fact that the Yakuza series began shortly after Sammy bought Sega wasn't a coincidence.

Eolz

Oh yeah and neither was Sega was the only one to use isolation rooms, neither it's a japan-only thing or something that happened in the past.

Kuraudo

Banned
Sammy (the company that owns Sega) is one of the largest pachinko companies in Japan.

I heard someone offhandedly mention once that the fact that the Yakuza series began shortly after Sammy bought Sega wasn't a coincidence.

Yeah, I remember some people being pretty adamant that Sammy was a Yakuza company.

Did any other manufacturers run their own arcades other than [redacted]?

Namco probably did, right? Shit, they ran arcades in the UK of all places for a good while, I'd be gobsmacked if they weren't doing it in Japan. But the article says Namco is clean (which doesn't really surprise me), so yeah.

It's totally SEGA.

Top Bottom