• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue hits Amazon devices, price drop announced, Chromecast coming soon

jwk94

We’re excited to announce that the family of supported devices for PlayStation Vue just got bigger. For those of you wanting to access PlayStation Vue on additional TVs in your home, you can do so starting today on Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, with Chromecast support soon to follow. This brings the availability of PlayStation Vue to a total of seven devices: PS4, PS3, Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, iPhone and iPad, with Chromecast coming soon.

Also, just in time for the holidays, you’ll see new reduced prices for PlayStation Vue’s Core and Elite packages. Core is now available for $54.99 (from $59.99) and Elite is now available for $64.99 (from $69.99) in select markets where Vue is available. If you’re a current Vue subscriber, you’ll receive the new price in your next billing cycle.
With your existing PlayStation Vue subscription, you’ll be able to access PlayStation Vue on Chromecast via the PlayStation Vue Mobile app from compatible iOS devices later this year. We’ll have more information on launch timing soon for Chromecast. We’re pleased to extend PlayStation Vue to additional devices to give you more options on how you want to Vue your favorite TV content.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/11/12/playstation-vue-coming-to-amazon-devices-today/

Credit goes to Loudninja for the quotes n' stuff.

Chromecast support coming later this year for iOS devices.

Man this service needs to come to Canada. I would cut the cord right away with my cable company. But hey, they're making progress step by step.

Starting to get serious. Gotta give it a fair shake now.

Sony should really just drop the Playstation moniker and call it "Vue"

Guevara

I mean, it's cool but I'd still rather just pay $50-60 for cable. Better quality, better channel selection, and no buffering/cap weirdness.

Don't understand why it's so market limited. For different countries I'd understand, but it doesn't make sense to limit it to like 5 cities.

I mean, it's cool but I'd still rather just pay $50-60 for cable. Better quality, better channel selection, and no buffering/cap weirdness.

Yeah especially since you need to usually pay the same provider for Internet and can save on a package deal.

You gotta be one of those "cable companies are evil" guys to really think this is a good deal. You can brag about it to everyone how you are sticking it to the man by "cutting the cord".

Don't understand why it's so market limited. For different countries I'd understand, but it doesn't make sense to limit it to like 5 cities.

Possibly local affiliates? It's one thing to get ABC and CBS on board in general (gets you the prime time shows), but it's another to get the specific ABC or CBS affiliate in, say, Cleveland (gets you the actual live stream of the channel, and the local news).

Yeah especially since you need to usually pay the same provider for Internet and can save on a package deal.

You gotta be one of those "cable companies are evil" guys to really think this is a good deal. You can brag about it to everyone how you are sticking it to the man by "cutting the cord".

Nine times out of ten, that "great package deal" is a promotional offer that goes up in a year. And it doesn't include equipement renting prices (like the $5-10 a month for your HD DVR cable box).

In response to the OP, interesting that it's hitting Amazon devices and Chromecast, but not actually hitting the Android OS proper.

jwk94

Or PlayStation Vue is cheaper and more convenient. You don't need to rent anything from the cable company and there aren't any hidden costs price hikes after X months/years.

Is there any kind of discount for being PlayStation plus for this?

PlayStation Plus subs get small discounts on the ala carte stuff, but not the packages =/

Reckheim

Man this service needs to come to Canada. I would cut the cord right away with my cable company. But hey, they're making progress step by step.

As someone that watches sports it sucks that they don't have the TSN/Sportnet channels but I would definitely cut the cord as well. Sick and tired of Bell.

Jeels

Still not in Houston even though they have heavily intended on it. The fire stick add is great because that's what is in the other rooms in the house and I really didn't want to have to lug the PS4 out of my room anytime someone else would want to watch TV.

MisterR

Love you know who you all get cable through. If you want anything more than the most basic of cable it's at least 70-80 a month in my area.

Love you know who you all get cable through. If you want anything more than the most basic of cable it's at least 70-80 a month in my area.

I am in one of the Vue's service areas and I am at $100 after all the fees a month for cable and Internet. So if subtract the $70 for Vue that stilll has less channels that leaves me $30 to get Internet. I got get Internet for $30. So it is the same for less channels?

AmuroChan

I didn't have cable before nor do I have any qualms with them. So your assumption is invalid.

It's a good deal for me because my work pays for my internet. The only channel I subscribe to is Showtime, for $9 a month. That's a better deal than any cable companies can offer me.

Saro

Why is this not on Android yet? I have a Z2 and I'm still asking myself as to why Sony hasn't, atleast, let people who have Sony phones/tablets get PS Vue.

vin-buc

I wonder how they're doing subscriber/business wise overall. I see PS Vue ads inside of trains going the length of the entire car here in NYC.

GodofWine

I am in one of the Vue's service areas and I am at $100 after all the fees a month for cable and Internet. So if subtract the $70 for Vue that stilll has less channels that leaves me $30 to get Internet. I got get Internet for $30. So it is the same for less channels?

I wish, check this out. I pay $140 a month for internet, 225 channels, HBO and stars. If I drop the TV part, my internet goes to 80 dollars, its absurd. My only option is 3mb down DSL.

Shenmue

Banned
Or PlayStation Vue is cheaper and more convenient. You don't need to rent anything from the cable company and there aren't any hidden costs price hikes after X months/years.

PlayStation Plus subs get small discounts on the ala carte stuff, but not the packages =/

Darn I would consider it if the package got a discount as I can't get a cable line down to the first floor of my home.

Arttemis

How the fuck did they not push this with the Playstation TV box!?!?

If that little box had Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and PS Vue streaming capabilities (on top of the existing PS Vita and PS Classics game support), Sony could have had a direct Roku 3 competitor with actual games support... Holy fuck at that missed opportunity.

jwk94

If that little box had Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and PS Vue streaming capabilities (on top of the existing PS Vita and PS Classics game support), Sony could have had a direct Roku 3 competitor with actual games support... Holy fuck at that missed opportunity.

They don't really care about the PlayStation TV.

MrBenchmark

I had the service till a month ago when they updated the program and it started working like crap stuttering and not working well. The basic package was $49.99 they refused to answer support threads with anything other than we are working on it and nothing happened the whole while still charging.

I cancelled and went back to sling on my Amazon Fire devices which works perfect.

This was my expierience on a wired gigabit network with a nighthawk router and 105Mbps connection. It had many issues and their support was horrible.

Yeah they fucked up big time.

Dragon

Banned

Man defending companies like Comcast and Time Warner by shitting on a growing group of consumers... Nice one.

As someone that watches sports it sucks that they don't have the TSN/Sportnet channels but I would definitely cut the cord as well. Sick and tired of Bell.

I guess the service will eventually come to the great north. This is the future of TV imo, the cable companies are making it harder for this kind of service to take off but they will have no choice one day or another.

Pretty sure if Sony bring PS Vue to Canada, they will have to cut deals with the big boys, TSN, RDS (french), Sports Net, YTV, Much Music, Radio Canada... so you're pretty much all covered.

Briarios

Can't wait for Google to get their lines in here ... Hopefully by then, Vue will be in my area and we can ditch Verizon.

Kill3r7

I wish, check this out. I pay $140 a month for internet, 225 channels, HBO and stars. If I drop the TV part, my internet goes to 80 dollars, its absurd. My only option is 3mb down DSL.

This is the case still for most people. Internet by itself is still expensive.

MrBenchmark

Sling has less channels, but for $20 and being on a lot more platforms makes it vastly more useful.
I supplement my sling for 20 with HBO now at 15 and it's perfect. And HBO now is super solid service.

I really really wanted VUE to be good but Sony support stepping on their own dicks ruined it for me and many others that have cancelled.

Afrikan

That thing only did 720p. It was basically a no screen Vita.

so they just tried to get as much out of the Vita R&D investment as they could.

Really want this in Canada, has all the stations I would want, assuming they would add CBC if they came here.

Cheaper than cable in my area doesn't come with a box, or the DVR fee, installation fee, don't have to deal with contracts or cancellation fees.

Afrikan

With Sony finally getting ESPN NETWORKS (Disney Content) and on many more devices, and slowly lowering the price..

man if they could just start providing internet...or buy an existing ISP.

PlayStation Vue, PlayStation Internet.. .bundle

with add-on services like PlayStation Now, Plus, etc.

jwk94

With Sony finally getting ESPN NETWORKS (Disney Content) and on many more devices, and slowly lowering the price..

man if they could just start providing internet...or buy an existing ISP.

PlayStation Vue, PlayStation Internet.. .bundle

with add-on services like PlayStation Now, Plus, etc.
PlayStation Security is the next logical step. now you can protect your family with the power of PlayStation.

Top Bottom