• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Rise of the Tomb Raider sells <60k units at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
Different release dates though, no?

edit:

EU Tomb Raider release was November 13, Fallout 4 worldwide was November 10.

//DEVIL//

This is horrible and the game doesn't deserve this low sales. No matter what console the game was on. But 60k only ? Something is not right

I think it's been revised down to:

04 (NE) RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) < 56,700

Xbox One (85%) < 48,200
Xbox 360 (15%) < 8,500

So even worse.

Badly thought out deal for a war that it didn't need to be part of. It got thrown under a bus and it's going to be left to rot for a year.

danmaku

How much did TR2013 sold at launch?

edit: Fallout 4 audience shouldn't overlap too much with TR but with less AAA releases than usual I guess people buy whatever the next big thing is.

Single platform (looks like noone bothered about the 360 one) and two years in the generation opposed to 8 years in, with a much smaller installed base. I'm sure they were expecting this kind of numbers.

Ratrat

I was thinking the OT looked kinda slow compared to other games. Might get it on 360...
I think it's been revised down to:

So even worse.

Badly thought out deal for a war that it didn't need to be part of. It got thrown under a bus and it's going to be left to rot for a year.

A year?! Is that confirmed?

Releasing the same day as Fallout was a real terrible idea.

I hope Crystal Dynamics comes out OK after this. After all those comments Square made about TR2013 being a sales disappointment and then taking the money for a exclusive deal I am worried SE doesnt have much faith in them. That would be a shame because they are a talented bunch and this exclusive deal was always going to screw the game over.

Taker34

Banned
Who would have thought that launching between Assassins Creed, Black Ops III, Fallout 4 and Star Wars Battlefront could be an issue? I mean... I... what were they thinking???

Congrats Crystal Dynamics, now please start with a new LoK and we're all happy.

oti

Banned
Sorry Square Enix, but the money is on another platform.

I tried.

I actually bought an Xbox One for Tomb Raider and I enjoy it quite a bit.

Would've done alright if it was given some room to breathe and released at a time when all the big-hitters weren't piling in.

AHA-Lambda

Seems such a silly idea.

Ignoring the exclusivity, which meant it would always sell less in the long run due to a staggered launch (which the exclusives money should make up for), what really killed it was launch the same day as FO4.

Whoever decided that needs a bollocking.

Fuck man, that's awful. All the more-so given that it's apparently a really great game, with a lot of folk in the OT saying it's their game of the year. I personally really enjoyed TR2013 and I'll get this one... but I'm waiting for it to release on PS4, as a lot of folk on the forum seem to be.

evilr

Banned
Said in the other thread that this would bomb. Tomb Raider is an EU game that's released on a console dead in the EU.

A great game does not make great sales, and the executives who made this Xbox One exclusive should be reprimanded, including Phil Spencer for his apparently flawed decision.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
They probably should have just held it until December or even January. Judging by it's critical response it would have cleaned up if had released with nothing around, just like Dying Light last year.

Single platform and two years in the generation opposed to 8 years in, with a much smaller installed base. I'm sure they were expecting this kind of numbers.

If they were expecting such pitiful numbers, then why do the deal at all. It's done zilch for the XBone. MS would have been better putting more money into Fallout and securing timed DLC to help push that further, afterall, they only really cared about Fallout in the end anyways.

Auctopus

- Launched exclusively on the less popular console.
- Launched on the same day as Fallout 4.

Very unfortunate 'cause it seems like it's a strong game.

JordanKZ

Platform exclusivity and launching it the same week as Fallout 4 was basically suicide. Personally, I'm waiting for the PC release next year and I really like the franchise.

Hasney

Who would have known that launching between Assassins Creed, Black Ops III, Fallout 4 and Star Wars Battlefront could be an issue? I mean... I... what were they thinking???

Congrats Crystal Dynamics, now please start with a new LoK and we're all happy.

Ass Creed probably wouldn't have been an issue at least seeing how much it sold on XB1, but Fallout did close to 4 times the amount Tomb Raider did on XBox 1 alone. It needed to be away from that.

Ploid 3.0

It should be fine no matter how it sells, as I'm sure Microsoft gave SE enough to cover lost sales if they were to launch on all platforms. Like Sunset Overdrive, I think if the game sells lower than expected it will probably only be bad for Microsoft.

Didn't Microsoft also publish it?

Dremark

Banned
I had a feeling this was going to bomb because of the deal with MS, but when it got the level of reviews it got I reconsidered and thought it would sell well for an exclusive

Guess it really got kneecapped by being Xbox only.

I'm not interested in the game regardless but it sounded like they did a really good job with it, maybe it will pick up when it gets released on other platforms.

evilr

Banned
Both are to blame here. Microsoft and Square Enix made a BAD DECISION in signing the exclusivity deal.

Fully agreed. Not one person saw the positivity out of the deal when it was announced. Made no sense at all and it was clearly going to bomb hard.

LewieP

Coming out alongside Fallout 4 and doing timed Xbox exclusivity was always going to result in lower sales. I don't think anyone is going to be too surprised by these numbers.

I guess it will probably do OK on the other platforms when it hits them, but I can't help but imagine SE regret doing the deal with Microsoft. Unless MS paid up big big money, I imagine they have done badly from this deal.

I think it is also the case that the contractually agreed misleading information regarding the exclusivity (pretending it was a proper exclusive rather than simply stating it was a timed exclusive deal when it was first announced), and indeed having previously announced it as a multiplatform title, has done a degree of harm to this title in terms of negative association from the game buying public. Not enough to massively hamper sales, but I think it will have had some impact.

Edit: Personally I hope it does not so badly for SE that they shut down/scale back the studio, but badly enough that they give the series a rest and resurrect Legacy of Kain instead.

AHA-Lambda

MSFT will pay/buy any missing copies anyway. SE has nothing to worry.

Will they? We don't know details of the deal, I imagine they paid for marketing and whatever the estimated loss in PS4/PC sales would be.
Doubt MS will pay for XB1 bombing, no?

How is the exclusive deal a dud? The point of the exclusivity is to sell less copies but have the cost subsidized by a company.

Yeah, I doubt the XB1 version selling like shit was part of the plan.

Would've done alright if it was given some room to breathe and released at a time when all the big-hitters weren't piling in.

Yep. I reckon early December would have been a more favourable window. Plus, from MS' perspective, launching just after Halo 5 and in the same week as their biggest marketing deal of the year is completely idiotic.

King_Moc

Banned
Both the exclusivity and the launch date have combined to completely fucked this game over. Let's hope the blame isn't taken out on the developers, and that Square and MS have the brainpower to figure out that they did it themselves.

If this had been on PS4 as well I would have bought it instead of Fallout 4.

You hear me, SE/Crystal Dynamics!? I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT YOUR DAMN GAME INSTEAD!!!

Edit: It doesn't help that FO4 has failed to really deliver that "Wow" factor that I so often find in the really great games...I'm a little bored with the "been there, done that" formula. Something linear like RotTR would have been a welcome breath of fresh air. I fucking LOVED TR2013 so much I bought it TWICE (PS3, PS4).

They screwed themselves.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to release at the same time as Fallout 4?

And then they shut down amazing studios like Crystal Dynamics.

Fucking hell this industry.

I hope nothing happens to CD and they get to work on more awesome Tomb Raider games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom