• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't believe how crap quality the Rise of the Tomb Raider CE was.

levyjl1988

Banned
So I just got it in the mail. I was pretty excited about it. I waited a good 11 days for it to arrive. From La Vergne (US) to Toronto (Canada). I got it 7 days late even though I preordered once it was available.

The quality of it is shocking terrible despite watching the unboxings on youtube.
It's just as bad as the Dragon Age Inquisition CE.

First the unboxing. No padding in the box.
I open the crate, all card box, just wood printed.

OZXI1Ll.jpg

The statue paint box was clearly hand painted with the details stamped on. If anything quite inaccurate as the eyes don't match where they should be.

The steelbook is just bad with the thing to hold the disc cheap plastic as if it was holding a figure. It felt flimsy. The quality just wasn't there.

Then I got to look at the book, just cheap recycled paper inside a false leather binding.

The necklace is even worse with a flimsy plastic and the leather to hold it is just bad.

This truly screams scraping the bottom of outsourcing.

In the end the value I paid for it wasn't worth it. The statue was crap, terrible quality and paint job, the notebook was terrible. The necklace is cheap, you wouldn't catch me dead wearing it. In comparison the Tomb Raider CE Strategy guide has a better build quality than this shit they provided.

Just an overall terrible experience. Something tells me the game is similar to my unboxing experience.

Compared to the amazing Witcher 3 CE that had a lot of quality and thought put into it, this CE is worth avoiding at all cost.

Sorry for the crappy mobile photos.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Companies know that collectors will pay out the rear for CE's just because they can't fight the urge to resist buying them. So naturally, they will make products as cheaply as possible so they can profit more.

It's a shame on their part, but unless people stop buying them, this will continue. Gamers need to do their part in this as well.

jwk94

Exactly why I stopped paying extra for anything but a steelbook. After the Infamous 2 Collector's Edition, nothing else compares.

I bought it, thought the presentation of it was rad. Not sure what you expected after the unboxing video. I am pleased. Took my figure to my work cubicle.

hawk2025

Holy shit, lol.

Wait, the journal isn't even an actual in-game journal? Do you mean that the pages are actually empty?

That metal pack (it's certainly not a Steelbook) also looks like complete ass.

I've only bought one CE, Limited Edition Destiny
I was super satisfied, great build quality, nice feel, seemed like it had a good bit of love put into it

MCD

All the promotions for this game is a joke. At least the 2013 game had a good X360 controller.

hawk2025

Wow I've never seen a steelbook like that before.

I have, they are super, super shitty.

Those hinges go bad very quickly. Worse, they are also extremely sensitive to rust. If you live in any humid spots, they will be gone quite quickly.

I'm still kind of in shock at that face. It's not even that they messed up the painting, even the proportions look all wrong.

Yikes. Nothing will ever top the inFamous 2 CE for me. Still use the sling bag it came with to this day.

Love my messenger bag! Killzone 3's collctors edition for the states was awesome too!

On topic, this looks horrible, as far as i remember TR2013s edition figure was also crappy although i think it was from Play Arts Kai!?!

levyjl1988

Banned
Holy shit, lol.

Wait, the journal isn't even an actual in-game journal? Do you mean that the pages are actually empty?

That metal pack (it's certainly not a Steelbook) also looks like complete ass.

The in-game journal is all empty pages. It's recycled paper binded in excruciatingly cheap leather. I thought it would have good stock paper with printed pages. Fucking terrible. You don't understand my disappointment right now.

hawk2025

The in-game journal is all empty pages. It's recycled paper binded in excruciatingly cheap leather. I thought it would have good stock paper with printed pages. Fucking terrible. You don't understand my disappointment right now.

Holy shit, that's just... what?

I just saw that this cost $150 :O

As if poor sales weren't enough. Such a great game surrounded by shitty PR and bad quality extra content.

The few CE I've bought have been very good, fortunately. I was tempted in buying this, but I backed off, looks like it was a good call.

Please don't let this make your opinion biased, OP. Game's one of 2015 greatest

CEs always seem like the definition of a purchase that you should wait for. Very few are of any quality, much less a quality worthy of their pricetag. And with scalpers taking up all the stock anyways, you can see them plummet in price once they actually hit.

Shenmue

Banned
I have, they are super, super shitty.

Those hinges go bad very quickly. Worse, they are also extremely sensitive to rust. If you live in any humid spots, they will be gone quite quickly.

I'm still kind of in shock at that face. It's not even that they messed up the painting, even the proportions look all wrong.

I've never seen it where its just a cheap plastic tray inside. Every single steelbook or metalpak thing I've gotten has the disc holder secured to the metal case.

Shenmue

Banned
True, that's an extra layer of shit I had also not seen before.

I can't tell for sure but it doesn't even look like heavy duty thick plastic. It looks like the plastic that you usually find holding a skylander, amiibo or disney infinity figure? Like the soft bendy kind that you just throw away?

soultron

Banned
The real problem with special editions is that you often don't have any indication of quality until the day of release. My advice is that, if you're really set on pre-ordering to get a CE, wait until the day of release and watch videos that have really good HD footage. You can make the judgement then and there on whether or not you'll keep or return it.

Top Bottom