• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yakuza 3 (2010) [PS3] - Wet hot Okinawan Summer

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Previously:

LTTP: Yakuza
LTTP: Yakuza 2

Before we get started, I'd like to contextualize my criticisms of Yakuza 3, since although I am going to sound very negative here, I still enjoyed the game. At times, everything that appeals to me about the series was firing on all cylinders and I was happy as a clam. For me, Yakuza is like pizza: even when it's bad, it's still good. I don't like the game as much as I like the other entries in the series, but I can still easily picture myself revisiting the beaches of Okinawa and shooting for 100% completion somewhere down the line.

Here's how I feel about the third Yakuza game, and the first to arrive on the Playstation 3 to those of us in the West.

yak3.jpg

Story
(SPOILERS)

Fair warning: this is where most of my complaints with Yakuza 3 lie. That's important to note, because arguably the series' story is not its strongest selling point. So don't get too discouraged! I'm going to try to not be too down on the game as we go.

I don't think the story of Yakuza 3 remains focused enough for its more dramatic sequences to resonate very well. In a telltale segment, Fuma informs Kiryu that Daigo is in Tokyo, and in danger. He's arranged a personal jet for Kiryu so that he can return to Kamurocho as quickly as possible, but he's interrupted by Taichi, one of the game's terrible orphans who tells Kiryu that the Sunshine Orphanage has been demolished. Kiryu understandably delays his return to Kamurocho so that he can make sure all the orphans he cares for are alright, and then he finds out that Nakahara, leader of a small Okinawa family, has been kidnapped. Kiryu then decides to chase after Nakahara who he's only known for seemingly a few weeks, which endangers Daigo and results in the (abrupt!) death of Rikiya. The bullhorn sequence makes for a memorable setpiece, but it seemed that the main narrative was starting to ramp up when it was AGAIN delayed by some orphanage dilemma. Rikiya's death feels completely forced here and Kiryu's emotional response seems really out of character. Really, the whole chapter left a bad taste in my mouth, but it also exemplified my main problem with Yakuza 3's central narrative: the orphanage. I don't care about the orphanage. I don't care that Taichi has asthma or that Shiro is being bullied. Not because I'm an asshole, I don't think, but because the game's hook - that Kiryu's foster father Fuma has risen from the dead and started assassinating yakuza chairmen - has hooked me, and I want to find out more about that stuff, and not about Taichi's asthma. You remember how I praised Y1 for Haruka never becoming the annoying kid character? This game has boatloads of the sort of character I was happy Haruka never was.

Regarding the hook, I don't think it was resolved in a very satisfying manner, either: the lookalike evildoer was done better with Kazuki in Yakuza 2. The game's villain remarks in the climactic conclusion something to the effect of "Kazuma, I wish we'd met sooner," and all I could do was agree. Think back to Yakuza 2, where the excellent character Ryuji Goda crosses path with Kiryu the same day he arrives in whatever the name of that city was. Here, the audience is introduced to Mine in cutscenes around a third of the way through the game, and Kiryu learns of him shortly afterward through Date. In general I think that the characters are decent to pretty good, it's a shame we only see the politician guy for like two scenes as I thought his character was being built up from the beginning of the game but he just drops off the face of the planet after he talks to Kiryu and we never see him again. I know I criticized Y2 for occasionally misusing its cast but here it's much worse! The story wraps up WAY too abruptly to the point where I threw my arms up in surprise when the credits began to roll. I would've liked to see some sort of wrap up between Daigo and Kiryu, since they've known eachother for so long and the game's climax involved saving Daigo's ass. Or Nakahara, who has sworn an oath of brotherhood to Kiryu.

I could go on nitpicking about little bits of narrative that rubbed me the wrong way but you get the idea. The story DOES have its strong points - there's an arc where Majima's loyalty is put into question and I feel that the game does this very effectively - but in general I found it to be disappointing, especially after Yakuza 2. Shoulda had more Daigo. Daigo is cool. Also Lau Ka Long coming back didn’t interest me too much given that he didn’t play that big of a role in the first game anyway.

Combat

Changes to combat from Yakuza 2 seem minor, honestly: you don't get as much heat off of weapon attacks, but enemies cower in fear when you pick stuff up or kill off all their friends. The "feel the HEAT!" super moves look cool but take a bit too long for my liking. I liked learning new weapons and crafting them as it was really the only way to spend the abundance of yen which I accumulated far too quickly and had no real use for otherwise. Same goes for material - man my pockets were always stuffed with charcoal! If there's a parry or a reversal in this game like those in the first two games I never found it, which is too bad because I loved those. I know there's a heat move which counters an incoming attack, but that's not the same thing.

Like Yakuza 2 I found the combat in Yakuza 3 to be pretty easy, save the last VR boss-fight (side mission) and I thought the game's endboss was more difficult than either 1's or 2's. I’m glad that 4 and 5 introduced new characters as I feel a bit tired of Kiryu’s movelist after 3 games, honestly.

Side content

One thing I feel is sorely missing from Yakuza 3 is the sort of massive side-quest like managing the club in Yakuza 2. There’s the 7 mysteries of Okinawa quest line, but those don’t really tie together in any way outside of you finding them all through the three school girls. There’s also the home-made ramen guy, who sort of seems like Granny White in Y2 or Luigi in TTYD in that you keep running into them here and there and learn their story intermittently. Anyway, there’s nothing that parallels managing the Marietta or playing host at Adam in terms of scope. Maybe the murder mystery quest would’ve become something big, but I was unable to figure out how to progress with that one and as I’ve done with every Yakuza game, I’ve avoided using a guide for anything during this playthrough. I also think there isn’t enough variety with the game’s missions, and too often the objective is to go to location X and beat up 3 or 4 guys. There’s an early quest in Okinawa where you have to cross the street holding ice cream without bumping into anything, it would’ve been nice if more missions broke the mold like that.

The minigames are better here than in either of the previous games, at least. My roommates really liked watching me play golf and pool, and I thought that both of those were rewarding. I liked bowling in Y2 better, but only because I found it easier to exploit spins! The doctor’s VR7 or whatever it was called quests were really fun, but I gave up on the last fight. Boxcellios is okay, I don’t love it, but it’s a lot more engaging than Y2’s YF6.

Generation leap

With the generation leap come all sorts of new stuff, like a first-person mode which is used to find locker keys (I missed a LOT more locker keys because of this - in the last game I got like 90% of them!) and the "revelations" which are a nice addition. The revelations supplement the humor of the series better than the side missions in Y3, as I feel the side-missions are a bit less imaginative but I'll get to that later on. Also, the revelations got us that one Kiryu gif that is posted in every Yakuza thread. Sometimes I felt that the ‘right answer’ for the revelations wasn’t obvious, and in one case (delivery guy on the bike) I had to watch the revelations 3 times to get it right. Overall they’re a great addition, though, and a cool way to unlock new finishing moves.

But, of course, the most obvious thing the Playstation 3 does for the series is give it a huge cosmetic overhaul, and almost everything looks great. The cutscenes especially look beautiful, I couldn't believe how good some character models looked. Oddly I felt that both Yuya and Kazuki look bad, but neither of them are really in the game very long. Seeing Kamurocho without fixed camera angles was novel, and the city looks amazing, especially at night. In general, side-quests are a lot more cinematic in 3 than in the PS2 entries: that one mission where you have to stand guard and use the first person perspective to find a peeping tom comes to mind.

Conclusion

What disappoints me most about Yakuza 3 is the story, easily, I think it’s not nearly as exciting as either of its predecessors and it’s too frequently interrupted by terrible orphans. Beyond that, I’ve got loads of nitpicks, most of which I’ve already complained about but while I’m at it, the pacing is off, too: chapter 3 (which leads up to you returning to Kamurocho) takes way, way too long and in many of the action segments there aren’t any save points (such as in the hospital at the end of the game) meaning that sometimes I’ll only ever save between chapters. Having that much time between saves can be nervewrecking and annoying, for instance yesterday I left the PS3 on for 2 hours while I went to the gym because I didn’t want to lose the progress I’d made and I had to leave. For the most part I think the new cast is fine, the best probably being Rikiya. Mine is alright as a villain but he doesn’t have nearly enough presence in the game to put him even in the same ballpark as Ryuji Goda. There’s not enough variety in the side-quests and I didn’t find the combat to have evolved meaningfully since Y2.

Now, allllllllllllll that bitching aside, I still liked the game enough overall that I wouldn’t tell people to skip it altogether, and I can see myself trying to 100% down the road. There were times the game was really growing on me, mostly when I returned to Kamurocho around chapter 4, and I do think some of the story segments are effective. It burns me a little bit that this is the game which most people will start the Yakuza series with, simply due to its low cost and since it’s on the PS3, because I think it’s actually the worst game in the series to start with as it does a poor job of representing how great the games can be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The numbers

Difficulty: NORMAL
Difficulty changes: 0
Retries: 3
Times knocked down: 18
Weapons broken: 57
Distance on foot: 42.195Km
HEAT action finishes: 50
Encounters: 105
Haruka’s trust level: F
Completion total: 31.52%
Play time: 28:48

Rymuth

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Get in the fucking robot, Shinji!

Yakuza 3
Get to the fucking Kamurocho, Kiryu!

oneida

Neon Geneis Evangelion
Get in the fucking robot, Shinji!

Yakuza 3
Get to the fucking Kamurocho, Kiryu!

Haha, basically! I liked Okinawa enough, it's more visually distinct than the city in Y2 was, but especially in terms of the game's narrative it seemed like nothing really noteworthy happens in Okinawa while all the cool shit goes down in Kamurocho.

Orphans were great. The scene at the orphanage near the end actually made me want to kick the villains' asses, and that almost hyped me up for who would be the final boss, despite finding that character totally lukewarm. By the time I got to him, the lust for vengeance died down completely, so oh well. No matter how excessive the ophanage stuff got, it captured a slice-of-life aspect that was missing because of the cut side content in the localized version — the series isn't about the Yakuza so much as it is about a few people who get mixed up with them. Kiryu deservedly got a chance to move away from all that crap for a while, and after 1 and 2, the orphanage was a great respite.

But you just KNOW
Mine pulled off the sickest izuna drop in the world

Also, the cover art for Japan was way better than US's, which was awful. I'd love to see a color version of the Japan art, with lights/people in the background, all bokeh'd out.

Finally caught up on Yakuza 1/2. Wish I could find a copy of this game that wasn't over £30.

Man. Wish I was exposed to this series sooner.

oneida

Orphans were great. The scene at the orphanage near the end actually made me want to kick the villains' asses, and that almost hyped me up for who would be the final boss, despite finding that character totally lukewarm. By the time I got to him, the lust for vengeance died down completely, so oh well. No matter how excessive the ophanage stuff got, it captured a slice-of-life aspect that was missing because of the cut side content in the localized version — the series isn't about the Yakuza so much as it is about a few people who get mixed up with them. Kiryu deservedly got a chance to move away from all that crap for a while, and after 1 and 2, the orphanage was a great respite.

But you just KNOW
Mine pulled off the sickest izuna drop in the world

Also, the cover art for Japan was way better than US's, which was awful. I'd love to see a color version of the Japan art, with lights/people in the background, all bokeh'd out.
I think Mine is an interesting enough character in his own right, really distinct from both Nishiki and Ryuji, but the story really doesn't do enough with him. I was honestly expecting him to be a herring, not the real villain, and was let down when it turned out to just be him.

Finally caught up on Yakuza 1/2. Wish I could find a copy of this game that wasn't over £30.

Damn. Wish I was exposed tot his series sooner.

Given that the PS3 has no region lock, any reason you can't just grab a NA copy? It's really cheap here, I got mine for $5.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I love Yakuza (have beaten 4 and Dead Souls, and played the first two a long time ago), but I've been struggling to get through 3 for like four years now. The lackluster story and those damn orphans just kill my enthusiasm for it. =/

oneida

I love Yakuza (have beaten 4 and Dead Souls, and played the first two a long time ago), but I've been struggling to get through 3 for like four years now. The lackluster story and those damn orphans just kill my enthusiasm for it. =/

It really ebbed and flowed for me. Some segments were a crawl, like chapter 3.

Dead Souls is the only game in the (localized) series I haven't hit. Not sure I'll have time before Y5 drops! I'll probably take the breather and just play it afterwards.

I don't understand how you have been able to finish the eternal drag of mediocre gameplay that is Dead Soul but have problems enjoying Yakuza 3 o_O.

But in general I agree with the OP, Yakuza 3 is not the best title to start the series. I actually started with Yakuza 4, which I absolutely loved (and I still love), then played Yakuza 3 out of pure fanboyism. I enjoyed it greatly, but it felt like a step down from Yakuza 4.

Then I bought Dead Souls and...man that game is bad even for hardcore fans like me...

Matty77

My only issues are the cut side content in the western release and the meandering beginning, other than that I love it.

And I don't hate the orphanage stuff I just wish you had gotten the choice to go to the mainland earlier and the orphanage stuff would still be there just more spread out.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't understand how you have been able to finish the eternal drag of mediocre gameplay that is Dead Soul but have problems enjoying Yakuza 3 o_O.

I honestly have no idea. And to be fair, there was a good two years between when I first got Dead Souls and when I finally finished it. That game is just an awful slog and I know Y3 is infinitely better. Why I can't finish it, I have no idea.

Hell, maybe I'll finally get around to that while I'm waiting for 5. If it's this hard going back to 3 after 4, it'll be damn near impossible after playing 5.

Glad to see this lttp. I'm not playing fallout 4 right now so that I can be fresh and ready when they'll announce at PSX: "and you can download Yakuza 5 from the PSN store... right now!".

Out of the 4 main Yakuza games I've played, I always found 3 the weakest. It takes a little while to get going and the story isn't as good as the others. I know a lot of people really like this installment in the series because it was their first Yakuza game.

for me:

2>4>1>3

Amazing title Oneida. Behind again! At Act 6 so it'll be a hot minute.

Thoughts so far:

Love the lower camera perspective, really highlights all the detail put into the game and boy did this game transition to HD gloriously.

Karou
must go now. America needs
her
Boo

Was odd to start the game, and then have you do essentially 3-4 hours of flashback to get back to where the game started, but the pacing would have been glacier otherwise so I understand why they did it.

Really enjoyed the orphanage...at first. Once we got to dogs and fashion offs I was ready to leave. Especially after Kazuma says, "Time to go to Kamurocho!"...but not for another hour or so.

Revelations are the best thing ever full stop.

The small fine tuning to combat is just noticeable enough to make a difference. Enjoy how the boss fights feel more like boss fights now.

Not sure how I feel about the new bads but I haven't seen much of them yet.

Date
ace reporter
seems a bit forced but I'm down.

Looking forward to reading your write up when I beat the game!

oneida

Also, Yakuza 5 when???????
soon, translated version is playable and they're working on a bug or something.
Glad to see this lttp. I'm not playing fallout 4 right now so that I can be fresh and ready when they'll announce at PSX: "and you can download Yakuza 5 from the PSN store... right now!".
Haha, we should be so lucky. there probably won't be an announcement, i'm betting it just becomes downloadable in the next few weeks with a blog post from sega or something.
Out of the 4 main Yakuza games I've played, I always found 3 the weakest. It takes a little while to get going and the story isn't as good as the others. I know a lot of people really like this installment in the series because it was their first Yakuza game.

for me:

2>4>1>3
I agree with this but maybe
2>1=4>3

Looking forward to reading your write up when I beat the game!

yes pls don't read OP until you finish it as I don't want to spoil the plot twists or have my own opinion influence yours at all. Enjoy! (there's 12 chapters, so you're further than you think!)

Sgblues

Yeah the story of Y3 does have a lot of downsides,
everything from Shintaro having a younger, identical brother who is in the CIA, to the whole Black Monday thing even though I like Andre Richardson in all his Wesker/Master Miller looking glory
and of course the major cuts they did to the localized version which took out some good substories. While its slow to build up, I didn't mind hanging out with the kids at the orphanage and getting to know them but yeah I could see how the whole thing can be annoying when dealing with them sometimes. Y3 is for the most part the weakest of the mainline titles and the second game in the series written by Masayoshi Yokoyama after he did Kenzan(which was better written) after Hase Seishu(writer of the first two games) had left and while he has gotten better at writing for the later games, I kinda miss Seishu's style even though he himself isn't perfect.

I did like Mine's character being cool and collected(for the most past) and having his reason for wanting to join the Tojo clan but he really needed more development, so too did Hamazaki who I guess had some in Y4 but definitely not enough. Tamashiro is just a stock bad guy who is there to be a bad guy, and so is Kanda (even though I like the scene he slaps all his guys to get them ready) likewise how Nakahara is there to be a cool old guy, Rikiya really supposed to be a stand in and a reminder of Shinji from the first game but unlike him, Rikiya actually had character and some development also more of a presence just too bad it didn't go further.

All in all Y3 is decent, sure it might be rough starting off on it if you are getting into the series for the first time but if you get into it, I'd say stick with it and if you can't, no problem can just go to Y4 if you wanted to.

deadfolk

I liked the orphanage stuff. For me, the biggest problem with Yakuza 3 is that it seemed really oddly paced.

It felt to me like everything before Kamurocho was just a lead in, but once there it seemed to end really quickly. I think the back and forth worked better in 2.

I finished 4 about a week ago, and despite being very sceptical about the whole 4 protagonist thing, each of the new guys really won me over. I ended up loving it.

SephLuis

I played all console Yakuza games and this is the only one I can't remember shit.

It's the worst one, but I want to replay it. Someday. Far. Far away.

Gacha-pin

No, you are an asshole and heartless. What else can be more important than caring orphans (´・ω・`)

The whole point of the story is how big the influence Kazama did Kiryu and how Kiryu is following his back and trying to be like him, not kicking & punching bad dudes around.

I can see why people hate the orphanage, but personally I liked those parts of the game. It probably helped that I had no real notions of how a Yakuza game should play (Y3 was my first), and so didn't mind at all that the heavy clan warfare/political maneuvering/arms dealer stuff only arrives much later in the game.

It was just such a different vibe, and something you don't see much of in games. I liked taking care of the orphans and dealing with their dumb problems and hanging out with Haruka in Okinawa.

I was actually surprised by how much I did like Yakuza 3. I guess I had lowered expectations but I had a great time playing it and got way into the story.

Seeing what was going to happen to
Rikiya
coming a mile away somehow didn't stop me getting heaps emotional over it when it happened.

And now I can almost taste Yakuza 5!

oneida

I am glad people found the orphan bits enjoyable, because Yakuza is rad and I want people to enjoy it. But I didn't like these parts and would have enjoyed 3 more without them.

Stuart444

Y3 was my first entry in the series, only one I've not played (not including spin offs that are JP only, Ishin I have but haven't started, the rest of the JP spinoffs, I don't have) is Y2.

I loved the Y3 stuff with the Orphans and that and Kiryu trying to be responsible and take care of them while also dealing with all the serious Yakuza stuff (and the wacky side stuff he just ends up getting involved in).

Also on a side note: Dead Souls might be the worst entry but is easily worth it for Majima alone. His reactions are awesome. Majima FTW

oneida

Y3 was my first entry in the series, only one I've not played (not including spin offs that are JP only, Ishin I have but haven't started, the rest of the JP spinoffs, I don't have) is Y2.

It's expensive, but worth it! best game in the series IMO.

oneida

Yeah, when 2 is brought up. It's usually followed by something about Tiger and Kiryu punching one? (if I'm not mistaken...)

The tiger bit is meme-able I guess but really 2's story and cast of characters is just terrific, I hope you get a chance to play it because it's really special. My write up on it is spoiler free IIRC so check it out if you want.

Yeah, when 2 is brought up. It's usually followed by something about Tiger and Kiryu punching one? (if I'm not mistaken...)

Yeah, that's pretty much the most famous moment in the second game. Its also got the best antagonist in the series (in my opinion) though I really loved what they did with Yakuza 0. Its well worth the cost of tracking it down, especially as it improved on the original in pretty much every conceivable way.

Stuart444

The tiger bit is meme-able I guess but really 2's story and cast of characters is just terrific, I hope you get a chance to play it because it's really special. My write up on it is spoiler free IIRC so check it out if you want.

Heh, I will get it at some point. Probably sometime next year since I've had a big break since my Y5 JP playthrough and I'd rather not get burned out before Y5 comes out in English. Ya know... whenever that is lol.

oneida

Haha, I get F for both 3 and 4.

Haruka was never on my list of priority.

I accidentally ran into a sequence which raised her appreciation, and nosed around Kamurocho for a bit looking for another, finding nothing. Didn't really care so I just progressed the story, depending on how long the wait for 0 is I might go back and max out Haruka's favoritism :D

All right! All caught up and time for my mini LTTP in the real LTTP. The actual LTTP covers everything wonderfully, so I'll just be throwing my thoughts in here. Like Oneida, I liked it but it's not going to sound like that initially.

Story (Spoilers)​

Usually I try to focus on how a story does things right and how it makes things it's own, since you're bound to run into the same tropes more often then not. Yakuza 2 handled this brilliantly by utilizing tried and true story beats by injecting them with great characters and good writing and pacing that built off the previous game's. Yakuza 3 felt like bad fan fiction. A Fuma look alike!? Lau Ku Long is alive!? Majima working for the enemy?! All of these are introduced out of nowhere, and are then wrapped up just as quickly. (Although the scenes with Majima are great and feature some awesome shots).

Initially I didn't mind the orphanage, it was setting up it's importance and was giving us some fun characterization for Kazuma. But then it doesn't end, and then when the story should be ramping up, the game comes to a dead halt and gives us more orphanage stuff to do. Also I hate when a sequel takes every newly established character from it's previous entry and then throws them out of commission immediately. After Karou left and Daigo was shot I immediately started to get the feeling we had a new writer, and turns out that's the case. I know it's hard to pick up where someone else left off, but it was sad to see so much good foundation throw away like that. (Also note to oneida, I also thought Kazuma's reaction to Rikiya was over the top, but it also made me remember that we had jumped ahead an year and a half after they met. But even then I felt it was really out of character.)

I have more nitpicks, (Yakuza 2's fake out ending gave me chills, 3's made me wonder if they forgot that Kazuma has been stabbed before and survived just fine that time), but I've gone on way too long. Some small moments aside I just couldn't get into it. It was a weak and often needlessly convoluted story that started strong, and then just didn't know what to do with itself, including forgetting a villain they spent multiple cutscenes building up, just to bring him in at the last second to do...absolutely nothing. I honestly thought maybe something happened with the budget and they had to cut his gameplay section out of something.

Combat​

I like the small refinements to the combat system. The four unlock paths give you more to play with faster. Maybe it was just me though, but I didn't like how heat worked this time around. In 2 I could get a few Heat moves out before I ran out, I least that's what I remember. Here, you get all these heat gauges, and they deplete right away. Granted this time around I only got to level 8 in each stat, so maybe this changes later. The revelation moves, and the abilities you get from "Doc Brown" add some needed flavor to everything. I'm also really looking forward to the multiple characters in 4 & 5 though.

Side Content​

Admittedly, this is the first time I haven't dived too far into the side missions, mostly because the story wasn't grabbing me and I wanted to get to 4. I liked the dynamic camera angles, and they added a lot to what just used to be static birds eye shots. I also really enjoyed that they added a little more to what were mostly, beat up x guys, although those are still there. But I'll remember talking the guy off the ledge and the hitman ledges, (missed that murder mystery one though!).I loved how learning moves worked this time though. I stay away from guides, but after having not learned one move near the end of Yakuza 1 because I never met Kamaki, I always look those up periodically. Kamaki has you fight pupils where you immediately learn 3 moves, (all reversals! Sorry you missed them oneida! This is how I beat the last VR fight haha) The "Doc Brown" missions were fun as well, and Mack is my new favorite side character which brings me to...

Revelations. I LOVE these so much. Something about PS3 era models doing ridiculous slapstick apparently does something for my funny bone because I couldn't get enough of them. Also the Kazuma gif we got out of it. I can agree the answers are sometimes obtuse, but it never got to the point of being annoying. Plus having over the top situational moves gave me something to look out and work for during combat. Can't wait to see more of these in the future.

Overall I really liked the side content I did experience and how it was presented, and I can see me coming back to do more in the future, especially given how little I did.

Generation Leap: (Yes I am stealing this)​

Gorgeous. Kamurocho has never looked better and it is insane how much detail they put into EVERYTHING. I can't remember another game where it's word has felt so alive. I've become a big fan of smaller and more detailed worlds over big and empty ones since I've started this series. Big worlds have their place, but I would love to see more of this in the future. I agree that locker keys could not be harder to find now that they are not just on the ground. A completionists nightmare if I ever saw one.

I honestly can't believe how good the cut scenes looked. Sega hit the mark in avoiding the uncanny valley, and making memorable looking characters that also look like they could be real people. (Except for Yuya...yikes)

Conclusion​

As I was playing Yakuza 3, I remembered people mentioning to people who asked where they should start the series to start here. I could not disagree more. The pacing and story offer very little of what made me fall in love with the series in the first place. While the side content, visuals, and combat might be the best they've been; I only ever cared about them because the main game drew me in so much. Save points being spread too thin, (I also had to leave my PS3 on when going to dinner more than once because of this). The cutscene with the defense chairman went on for what seemed like almost an hour and even though it was expounding every plot detail you had been working towards, (another unfortunate writing sin 3 has), I felt like I was about to fall asleep. Mine was a cool villain, I was impressed they were able to construct a sympathetic foil where it led him to destroying an orphanage haha. But it really worked, and had he been given more time like it's already been mentioned before, he could have ben great. Mine was a character that deserved to be in a better story. (Also Kazuma, you could have probably ran over to help him with Richardson. Didn't need to just watch him slowly throw himself off a building buddy!)

Overall I did enjoy my time with the game though. The transition to HD was a blast, and made everything feel new and fresh, even though I had just beaten the first 2 games in the last few months. That's an incredible feat, given that I am usually burnt out on a series for a while after beating a game, let alone 2 that closely back to back. I will definitely revisit 3 sometime, but for now I am more excited to reach what a lot of people consider to be just about as good as 2, Yakuza 4. Which I will be starting tonight!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The numbers​
Difficulty: NORMAL
Difficulty changes: 0
Retries: 2
Times knocked down: 9
Weapons broken: 100
Distance on foot: 42.195Km (uncanny I know)
HEAT action finishes: 46
Encounters: 169
Haruka’s trust level: F
Completion total: 19.06% (past games were closer to 70-80% so I admit I rushed a bit)
Play time: 20:46

Jimrpg

Impressed you're still playing thru the Yakuza games. I think I would have burnt out by the third one as they are all pretty similar.

I thought Y3 was my second least favourite. My order is Y4 > Y1 > Y3 > Y2 (didn't really like the story). The first half of Y3 is really slow, but the second half is great. And finally in HD and mahjong is actually playable. Graphics while basic are pleasing in their own right with lots of detail everywhere.

Y4 is one of the best games on the PS3 from a gameplay and story perspective.

Normally with these games I just blast through the story, but for Y5 I think its time to do more of the side quests and mini games.

SephLuis

Impressed you're still playing thru the Yakuza games. I think I would have burnt out by the third one as they are all pretty similar.

I thought Y3 was my second least favourite. My order is Y4 > Y1 > Y3 > Y2 (didn't really like the story). The first half of Y3 is really slow, but the second half is great. And finally in HD and mahjong is actually playable. Graphics while basic are pleasing in their own right with lots of detail everywhere.

Normally with these games I just blast through the story, but for Y5 I think its time to do more of the side quests and mini games.

I am surprised, I think Y2 is still one of the best.

If you liked Y4, you're probably going to like Y5 a lot too. The sidequests, or rather the Another Story, has an entire story line for each of the characters. I completed both Kiryu and Saejima.

Kiryu driving a taxi is just soooooooo fun =D

Mubbed

The Hitman quests are excellent. The final battles in the main story are subpar but the Hitman missions more than made up for it.

Jimrpg

Well, that's a new one. You really didn't like 2?

Haha I know I might be the only one that puts Y2 last. I liked it, just not my favourite, it might have just been the timing of it all. Came really late in the PS2 cycle and the graphics were really low res. Y3 was a huge improvement on this front.... in terms of story I didn't really understand what was going on till halfway through the game. When I caught on it was fine. It's a lot less personal to begin with than Yakuza 1 which immediately hooked me in.

If Y2 ever gets a HD release I'd like to go back and play it again.

Oh and I totally dig the english dub in Y1, that dub could have been way way worse. :D

Ravage

I know there are many here who dislike the Okinawa section but it is a nice change of pace imo.

The part where Kiryu dresses up the boy is still one my favorite moments in the series.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm surprised I am as well. I burn out after beating one game in a series, and need time before moving forward. I've been playing through them at the same pace as oneida and I've only been wanting to play more and more. I think they've just been filling a void I didn't realize had been empty for so long. Giving me smaller but more detailed open worlds in a time where everything is just needlessly big, a story that doesn't hold your hand as much as other AAA games, and is most interested in telling a story than grabbing newcomers. It's a unique series that is quickly become an all time favorite.

Also surprised about your feeling towards Y2 as well haha but I understand where you are coming from. I hope they do an HD rermake someday like they are with 1 right now.

Jimrpg

I am surprised, I think Y2 is still one of the best.

If you liked Y4, you're probably going to like Y5 a lot too. The sidequests, or rather the Another Story, has an entire story line for each of the characters. I completed both Kiryu and Saejima.

Kiryu driving a taxi is just soooooooo fun =D

You can drive a taxi? LOL... I saw that screenshot on the PS Blog - I didn't realise it was him driving.

I really like those movies where they have a number of short stories or vignettes which tie into one main story and loved how Y4 handled it that way in terms of characters and story. Especially how the series had followed the formula up to that point of just being about one main character. More than that, it was how well they seamlessly integrated each story. Easily my favourite and I would have played it a lot more if not for Y5 coming out so soon. The only bit I didn't like were those rooftop chases, probably Nagoshi trying to piss us off. I thought Y4 would bother me slightly that it was all set in Kamurocho again, but again the story kept me playing through.

One thing I remember from Y2 which is all but gone from Y4, was sometimes the story trigger points did not show up on the mini map and it was basically impossible to know what to do next. I think there was one where I had to go to a noodle shop and wait for someone and there'd be no way to know to do this without help. Of course for these bits I just used a FAQ.

SephLuis

You can drive a taxi? LOL... I saw that screenshot on the PS Blog - I didn't realise it was him driving.

I really like those movies where they have a number of short stories or vignettes which tie into one main story and loved how Y4 handled it that way in terms of characters and story. Especially how the series had followed the formula up to that point of just being about one main character. More than that, it was how well they seamlessly integrated each story. Easily my favourite and I would have played it a lot more if not for Y5 coming out so soon. The only bit I didn't like were those rooftop chases, probably Nagoshi trying to piss us off. I thought Y4 would bother me slightly that it was all set in Kamurocho again, but again the story kept me playing through.

The taxi part is Kiryu another story. Won't say much because it's fun discovering what you can do with it.

My only issue with Y4-Y5 is pacing. Once you change characters you go back to lvl 1 and to a slow build. They did this much better in Yakuza 0, where both storylines advance together.

Jimrpg

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm surprised I am as well. I burn out after beating one game in a series, and need time before moving forward. I've been playing through them at the same pace as oneida and I've only been wanting to play more and more. I think they've just been filling a void I didn't realize had been empty for so long. Giving me smaller but more detailed open worlds in a time where everything is just needlessly big, a story that doesn't hold your hand as much as other AAA games, and is most interested in telling a story than grabbing newcomers. It's a unique series that is quickly become an all time favorite.

Also surprised about your feeling towards Y2 as well haha but I understand where you are coming from. I hope they do an HD rermake someday like they are with 1 right now.

Yep I like the focus on the story compared to other AAAs. I don't even see this really as an open world game rather the city is there to add richness and personality to the story. Most open world stuff is just travelling from A to B anyway, but letting the player roam around the city itself and trigger random things and go sightseeing really helps the story.

They already did a HD release for both 1 and 2.

And obviously, it wasn't and probably will never be localized

I might get it and put it alongside my unplayed copy of kenzan. Learning Japanese is on my bucket list.

Jimrpg

The taxi part is Kiryu another story. Won't say much because it's fun discovering what you can do with it.

My only issue with Y4-Y5 is pacing. Once you change characters you go back to lvl 1 and to a slow build. They did this much better in Yakuza 0, where both storylines advance together.

Yep it took me by surprise that when I was finally allowed access to all 4 characters in Y4, it was practically the end of the game. By that time I just wanted to finish the game as I'm a busy guy.

I think it would be better if they allowed you to use any character you have already unlocked and go wandering around as you please. The only way to move the story ahead would be to use the character required.

SephLuis

I might get it and put it alongside my unplayed copy of kenzan. Learning Japanese is on my bucket list.

Try the kenzan guide in KHH Subs. Not gonna lie, Kenzan is a tough one regarding japanese. A lot of old and unused terms, but it's story is awesome.

oneida

All right! All caught up and time for my mini LTTP in the real LTTP. The actual LTTP covers everything wonderfully, so I'll just be throwing my thoughts in here. Like Oneida, I liked it but it's not going to sound like that initially.

(snip)

Good stuff man! have a blast with Y4, it's a real treat.

It's something I meant to do for a long time, play through the yakuza series I mean. It was a blast playing through the other games, but sometimes 3 took some effort to boot up. Next up... Phantasy Star!

The Hitman quests are excellent. The final battles in the main story are subpar but the Hitman missions more than made up for it.

I think I missed these.

Top Bottom