• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rooster Teeth berate Jeff Gerstmann/Giant Bomb's Fallout 4 review while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...having done Fallout 4 ads and wearing Pip Boys and praising it for dozens of minutes ("it's super responsive, I'm really impressed with how well it works") as they go on their rant. Talk about corporate fanboys. They literally sound like paid shills on this The Patch podcast. I know this is a few days old, but it's painfully hilarious.

Apparently these Rooster Teeth people were complaining about how someone could review Fallout 4 so low.

Video: https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/667376775177990144

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbymQuSJmwI&t=48m44s

Meg Turney: "Ok, so I have a bone to pick. And it's people who review shit low. Because I feel like people do that to be 'eh we're different'. Everybody gave Fallout 4 90s and up. 70. You're not different or special because you review a game low!"

Ryan Haywood: "'Look, we have legitimate things to say and if we don't rate it low, you know how legitimate we are.'"

Meg Turney: "Yeah, no one will come to our site to look at it."

Gus Sorola: "I feel like the bugs and negativity is really overblown. And that's what people are making a stand on. Trying to stand out like 'oh we're different, we have a more keen eye than the average reviewer'. Like people were jizzing over Jeff Gerstmann and Giant Bomb because they called out all the problems in the game."

Meg Turney: "They were like, 'It's a technical mess'." (she says this while completely forgetting she just had a whole segment about how buggy the game was earlier in the podcast)

Gus Sorola: "Yeah like, 'Thank you Jeff Gerstmann for keeping it real'."

Ryan Haywood: "We sit and wine on cheese and crackers as we wrote our review."

Meg Turney: "Yes, on my Mixlr."

Jeff Gerstmann's response is some lovely ether:
huSXJj0.png

C3D4TYY.png

WXmE9jE.png

ZxnKUQf.jpg

08lytvB.png

Has Rooster Teeth always been this bad? Although I think I stopped bothering with their content once they became a big media company many years ago (Fullscreen, Inc.) and haven't found them to be a relevant source of anything related to gaming :p

Ryan doubles down lol:
Probably worth mentioning the founder of RT seems to have a lot of respect for Gerstmann, and they've been on each other's panels. This looks like an uninformed cosplayer said something dumb, and the other guys went with it.

Even the RT community savaged them over it. Here's Ryan's response in their subreddit where he doubles-down (check the downvotes)

PqDn1iR.png

Tripling down?
This guy...

kJcWHgV.png

dude really thinks he has a point but the internet is doing him wrong

shira

I didn't even know this company existed.
ZxnKUQf.jpg

But yeah gaming review sites like to shit on each other and call each other out all the time. I don't think there is any actual hate or bad intentions

I saw this on twitter earlier..

Do they have some problem with GB/Gerstmann? This seems way too hostile. I only saw the short 30 second clip but I can't believe this is real

antitrop

I finished Fallout 4 on PS4 and share the same view on overall technical performance as Gerstmann does. It's the worst I've seen in a console game this year, for sure.

LiK

I like some of their videos but their podcasts are unbearable to listen to. Glad to see this reinforces my opinion about it. Also, people disliking a game for technical issues is fair game. They're acting like children about it. Jeff had issues with it on consoles and that was his call to make. They sound like those dumb fanboys in review threads.

FStop7

Banned
no point in fanning the e-flames.

that said I do think it's funny that a grown adult wearing a giant pip boy thing while recording a podcast for an audience of thousands(?) unironically used "jizzing all over" in a sentence.

xJavonta

Banned
Meg Turney is enough of a reason for me to avoid RT

I finished Fallout 4 on PS4 and share the same view on overall technical performance as Gerstmann does. It's the worst I've seen in a console game this year, for sure.

60 hours in on PS4, while it's bad, it's definitely not the worst.

So how have they responded to the fallout from this? Sheepish apology? Silence? Crocodile tears over being "attacked for voicing their opinions"?

I don't get how they're like "everyone else is giving this 90's" as if every person needs to have the same opinions. Reviews are subjective.

Onaco

I feel like I'm looking at hipster reviewers when I look at Rooster Teeth. That is terrible. You don't need to jump on a bandwagon, RT. You're not making yourself look better by drinking their Kool-Aid.

I love when journalists get upset at other journalists for having an opinion on a game.

You do realize you're just falling into marketing's hands, right? You're doing exactly what they want you to do – try to invalidate more critical reviews and push for the 7-9 scale.

Nibel

Shoutouts to Steve Kim, saw someone retweeting his tweet about this, and yeah - not much to say here.

Never cared for Rooster Teeth anyway.

KarmaCow

I remember there was a point before they started ramping up with stuff like The Know and this podcast where they said they weren't going to do reviews because of stuff like this.

It's kinda funny that they don't see how short of literally having Todd Howard drop off money in the middle of the podcast, they couldn't look more like shills.

I love Rooster Teeth, been listening to them for about 10 years now. I can't listen to any of their new segments because of some of the ridiculous shit they say. It really grinds my gears.

105.Will

This is hilarious. I can't believe they think Jeff Gerstmann would write a bad review for attention. The man has been not giving a fuck about other people for years, why would he care now?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What is rooster teeth?

Machanima creators. Red vs Blue. Big when Halo was still big.

In any case, Jeff is right: Why should anyone care about them being annoyed by his low review when they were paid off by Beth to advertise the game.

DR2K

Banned
Of course they did. Integrity and honesty doesn't pay any bills in the AAA critique landscape. Fallout 4 is nothing short of a 6 on PS4. Anything higher is a joke. No other game or series can get away with being so janky.

Seriously, this is gold.

"Why would you give a 7/10 to something that is getting all 9/10s?!"

"Also, I hate when there's just 9.1s, 9.2s, and 9.3s, why isn't there more variation?"

Like, haha, the cognitive dissonance is just blowing my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom