• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Anyone With Those Star Wars PS2 Games On Their PS4...

KalBalboa

Banned
Are you able to SharePlay those games?

In a nutshell, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter and Star Wars Racer Revenge both have local multiplayer modes on PS2. With SharePlay on PS4 you can effectively emulate couch co-op over the internet with friends on any PS4 game, but no word has gotten out yet in regards to whether or not the PS2 emulator on PS4 allows SharePlay online.

Has anyone on GAF with these games given this a shot?

KalBalboa

Banned
Yeah, if SharePlay works on the PS4's PS2 emulator that would mean you could play PS2 games with local multiplayer online.

TimeSplitters 2, SharePlayed.

I'm surprised nobody has checked this out yet. Maybe I'm missing something but every Google search brings me back to GAF.

OmegaFax

Yeah, if SharePlay works on the PS4's PS2 emulator that would mean you could play PS2 games with local multiplayer online.

I'm surprised nobody has checked this out yet. Maybe I'm missing something but every Google search brings me back to GAF.

Added you on PSN if you want to try it out. Have the games, kind of curious about this myself.

OmegaFax

Noooo! "The host screen cannot be shared because the game didnt release in your region" :(

Awwwwww. I was wondering what was going on. The game kept pausing every time I unpaused it.

Did you see anything or did it totally black out for ya? Which region are you in?

Talax

I think that's the blanket message for anything shareplay that does not work.

In this case we can pretend it means "this title does not support shareplay"

Oh that would be a shame if it's the case. I'll hold onto the hope that his US psn works but I guess it might not be possible. Maybe sony will add functionality down the line somehow.

LAM09

I think that's the blanket message for anything shareplay that does not work.

In this case we can pretend it means "this title does not support shareplay"

It's a generic message for games that Shareplay doesn't work on. We won't know for sure until more games are available whether it's possible or not, for sure.

Vanguard

It is a weird error message but I would still suggest trying a diff region just to see. There was a case recently with a friend, both in the UK (with UK accounts) and was a UK copy of the game, but got the region error message. He swapped to a diff account (believe it was his US one) and it worked, so defo worth a shot. Shareplay is weird at times.

KalBalboa

Banned
It is a weird error message but I would still suggest trying a diff region just to see. There was a case recently with a friend, both in the UK and was a UK copy of the game, but got the region error message. He swapped to a diff account (believe it was his US one) and it worked, so defo worth a shot. Shareplay is weird at times.

Yeah, I wouldn't give up until a few region combinations have been tried.

OmegaFax

I never tried SharePlay before but I read that games that don't support it do say "SharePlay is blocked". It wasn't exactly the case because the system let me share the controller (and add in an invited guest to play as the second player).

On my end, it just kept constantly pausing the game.

Piccoro

Wow I'm using a US account and getting the region error still!
Battlefront only comes out in my country the 20th. Maybe its because of that? :/

OmegaFax

Wow I'm using a US account and getting the region error still!
Battlefront only comes out in my country the 20th. Maybe its because of that? :/

It's possible that it won't work until the game comes out. I guess SharePlay pings you directly and the system only shares with someone based off of IP regardless of account?

Piccoro

It's possible that it won't work until the game comes out. I guess SharePlay pings you directly and the system only shares with someone based off of IP regardless of account?
Maybe. Or Shareplay maybe doesnt work with games that cannot be purchased?
Thank you anyway, anybody that lives in US care to try?

Agent X

This would be utterly fantastic.

The potential for SharePlay would be a heck of a good reason to hope that PS2 (and PS1) classics could be made available on PS4.

OmegaFax

-UPDATE-

It looks like the dream is dead for now. Just tried it with KalBalboa and it gave the same "Not Available in this Region" message that Piccoro got.

Kal theorized and I totally agree with him that since this is a special release, it's not on Sony's whitelist yet. Sorry if I talked over you a bit, Kal, the game music was drowning out the Party Chat a bit. Didn't have the mix setup right.

Tried Super Star Wars at a suggestion and it worked fine over Share Play. That's the only one that's officially released on the PS Store.

Thanks guys for trying it out. Now we know.

Twisted Metal Black

REDSLATE

The PS2 "ports" in the Star Wars bundle are not actually ports and are actually running in an emulator that bumps the resolution and framerate

Really? Privateer/mod community get on this! If sony doesn't officially release this emulator, reverse engineering will be priority.

Top Bottom