• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki considering Dark Souls 3 to be the "big closure on the series"

hydruxo

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-3-interview-it-wouldnt-be-right-to-cont/1100-6432425/

Hidetaka Miyazaki says he’s ready to close the book on Dark Souls. In an industry where it’s commonplace to stretch the popularity of franchises across annual iterations, that may be hard to believe, but he thinks it’s critical to the future of his studio, From Software.

In May 2014, Miyazaki was appointed as the head of From Software. And yet the father of the Souls series appears to have little interest in stepping away from design and settling into a management role. Possibly the best testament to this is that our interview took place in a sound-dampened studio where Miyazaki had just finished work on some Dark Souls 3 audio. Really now, Miyazaki-san, you can delegate this stuff.

Such actions speak for themselves, but his words are just as illuminating. In our interview, Miyazaki discusses his ambitions to move away from Souls, along with the recent beta, the advent of many other Souls-like titles, and a surprising new obsession.

Q: Over the last few years we've had a lot of Souls games: Dark Souls 2, Scholar of the First Sin, Bloodborne. Is there a worry that people may be over-exposed to the franchise?

A: It'd be a lie if I said I have no concerns about that. I don't think it'd be the right choice to continue indefinitely creating Souls and Bloodborne games. I'm considering Dark Souls 3 to be the big closure on the series. That's not just limited to me, but From Software and myself together want to aggressively make new things in the future. Dark Souls 3 will mark the last game where the development project began before I became president. The next title will be a game that was conceived while I was president. I believe that From Software has to create new things. There will be new types of games coming from us, and Dark Souls 3 is an important marker in the evolution of From Software.

I think making a different type of game would be great for From and I hope that's what they do next. Keep things fresh and go back to Souls / BB later on when people have had time to take a step back from the series.

Dio

Banned
Good. I personally think Dark Souls has kind of run its course by now, I want a new Otogi or something else.

ElFly

given Bloodborne also has a theme of cycles, do not get angry if in the end the flame cycle is perpetuated

im fine with dark souls 3 being like, the end all be all of dark souls.

the souls series is just super replayable as it is. ive dipped back into DS2 a few times.

Greddleok

Fantastic. I'm worried it'll turn into a bi-yearly franchise that gets run into the ground because they've got no more ideas.

Hopefully it'll end on a high note and the team can move on to something new. They've garnered a lot of good will and support, and I'm sure their next project will be successful if it's good. FROM have moved from niche to mainstream.

213372bu

Banned
With Souls games becoming bigger and bigger, I don't doubt DS4 or Bloodborne 2 after maybe a short departure.

If not, they might just pull a DS2.

I'd love them to make another game every 1.5 to 2 years just to keep it fresh every time.
Really hope they use all their skill and passion with anything new they decide to make next.

Dark Souls was my game of the generation but once Miyazaki is out, I'm out too. I don't ever want to play another non-Miyazaki "souls" game.

So it sounds like DS3 will certainly be the closure of the series for me.

Frodo

Does it mean we will get a satisfying, Hollywood all ends well ending?

Or everything was just a bad dream?

Fitts

So conflicted... I could play these games forever, but I certainly don't want them to become the typical homogenized AAA franchise bullshit.

Nere

This is sad and good at the same time. Sad because I absolutely love Souls series but good because we are getting a bit too many souls games lately. The best thing they can do is follow a middle road release a souls every 3 years or so to keep the formula special and not tire the audience.

levyjl1988

Banned
I wouldn't mind an ending to Dark Souls. I don't want it to suffer from franchise fatigue. I got the most out of it from 1 and 2 anyways.

poncle

Brave decision, but thankfully we all know that sooner or later we'll get a new IP with similar mechanics. They've been working on that kind of game for 20 years after all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
is it gonna have some mgs4 shadow moses thing where you wander across old forgotten firelink shrine and a meloncholic version of the theme starts to play

emb

Good.

I'd rather get a new Dark Souls every 5 or so years as opposed to every 1 year (or quicker). Should be something special, and in the past couple years has felt too saturated.

BigDes

Bandai Namco will undoubtedly farm some developer to soullessly fill the gap if From bows out. I'm okay with Miyazaki's decision.

I suspect that this is what Lords of the Fallen was intended to be

A back up Souls just in case

Of course, it was pretty bad.

Luigiv

Praise the sun.

This is exactly what I want to hear, don't stretch the series thin. If they (or more likely Namco) do want to make another sequel in the future they should start fresh again.

I saw this coming from a mile away. When Namco said it was the end of the series, then From said it was just a turning point for them. Im glad 3 will close out the series, best not to run a great thing into the ground.

Give it a break, give us something completely new with those incredibly talented gameplay designers, artists, and story makers you have From. I'll buy it day 1.

Top Bottom