• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moto G 2014 boot loop. Recover data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamma

Hey guys, I have a Moto G 2014 thats stuck in a boot loop after applying a software update. It's running 5.x and doesn't get past the round Motorala logo at boot. What's the best way to either fix the soft-brick or recover data (mainly photos, no ext sd) and reset?

Saiyan-Rox

Have you boot into the recovery and tried erasing cache etc?

Unfortunately unless you've unlocked the bootloader any proper fixes may result in a complete wipe.

Does motorola have any PC software fixing tools?

gamma

Have you boot into the recovery and tried erasing cache etc?

Unfortunately unless you've unlocked the bootloader any proper fixes may result in a complete wipe.

Does motorola have any PC software fixing tools?

Yeah I've tried wiping the cache but it didn't help. The Motorola softwares only purpose seems to be to update the software.

If you can enter fastboot, you can try unlocking the bootloader and flashing TWRP, from there you can access your files and should be able to flash CM or the complete Motorola Software if you can find it. I have a 1st gen Moto G so I don't have specific instructions but XDA should help you.

Saiyan-Rox

If you can enter fastboot, you can try unlocking the bootloader and flashing TWRP, from there you can access your files and should be able to flash CM or the complete Motorola Software if you can find it. I have a 1st gen Moto G so I don't have specific instructions but XDA should help you.

Unlocking Bootloader completely wipes the userdata on the phone though.

It's weird Moto doesn't provide a software fixing tool on PC :S i'm not clear on how Moto devices operate so i'll do some digging now.

Unlocking Bootloader completely wipes the userdata on the phone though.

It's weird Moto doesn't provide a software fixing tool on PC :S i'm not clear on how Moto devices operate so i'll do some digging now.

Ohhhh that's bad, sorry didn't remember that, nevermind what I said then.

Saiyan-Rox

OP some info

Was this an update from an older Lollipop to a Newer Lollipop or from Kitkat?
You've never unlocked the bootloader?
You didn't disable any apps did you?

From what i'm reading here your only option may be to perform a factory reset :(

gamma

OP some info

Was this an update from an older Lollipop to a Newer Lollipop or from Kitkat?
You've never unlocked the bootloader?
You didn't disable any apps did you?

From what i'm reading here your only option may be to perform a factory reset :(

The phone was running 5.x already.
I've never unlocked the bootloader. I found this reddit thread where people seem to have had the same problem.

Also, before the update some app was constantly crashing and making the phone unusable. I kept getting an error message like com.android.googlequicksearchbox has stoppen responding or something similiar. But as soon as you pressed ok it popped up again.

Saiyan-Rox

The phone was running 5.x already.
I've never unlocked the bootloader. I found this reddit thread where people seem to have had the same problem.

Also, before the update some app was constantly crashing and making the phone unusable. I kept getting an error message like com.android.googlequicksearchbox has stoppen responding or something similiar. But as soon as you pressed ok it popped up again.

Honestly I think the only thing you can do is unlock the bootloader and use fastboot to reflash a stock image which of course means your whole phone will be wiped.

If you used Google Photo's all your pictures should be backed up online but everything else will be gone.

gamma

Honestly I think the only thing you can do is unlock the bootloader and use fastboot to reflash a stock image which of course means your whole phone will be wiped.

If you used Google Photo's all your pictures should be backed up online but everything else will be gone.

Is there no way to get data off the phone from fast boot or recovery? If I go to apply update from sd card in recovery I can see the file system so there must be a way to access it?

Saiyan-Rox

Is there no way to get data off the phone from fast boot or recovery? If I go to apply update from sd card in recovery I can see the file system so there must be a way to access it?

With the bootloader locked i'm afraid not pal :(

Lollipop also comes with Encryption too so it's very possible the data is encrypted which makes it worse.

gamma

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh FeelsBadMan

I don't get why it has to wipe everything. Why can't you just repair the OS installation without deleting user data.

gamma

Okay so I let the battery run out and then deleted the cache yet again and booted it. This time it gets past the boot logo and shows "Android is upgrading - Starting apps" with a spinning circle. However I am not sure if it's actually doing something or not. I'm gonna let it sit like this for a while but does that help in any way or am I still boned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom