• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sleeping Dogs. Beware The Spoilers.

Mexen

I just beat the story with 50% trophy completion. I was blown away by this game, it's fun to play and I intend to 100% that sumbeech this weekend.

The combat is truly well done imo and it's so good to perform timely counters and retaliate with combos of your own. The gunplay isn't bad either, you could even say that the aiming system maybe a little too easy (most of my shots were head shots and I don't recall running out of ammo).

The car system is good and the balance of job-to-purchase-vehicle/anything-really is expertly done. You raise enough money without feeling like it's a grind. This game knows how to give you just enough for you to go the extra mile with detracting from the fun aspect.

I loved the plot (as predictable as it was from the synopsis). Great characters and VA all around. I had moments when I felt I was in the middle of a John Woo movie! What a rush!

This game is now a favourite of mine.

If you haven't played it, I recommend it.

For those who played it, share your favourite moments, what you would want in an official sequel, what you disliked etc?

Donos

Good game but street fights against gangs became to easy. Not enough thugs with knifes/weapons etc.later on. Thought they would progress like in the Rocksteady Batman games but they didn't.

Love this game. Wei Shen is a badass motherfucker, and the melee combat is some of the most enjoyable in any game. The plot is great and really well told, and I found the missions and side activities to be very enjoyable. Honestly, for a first attempt at an open-world game United Front did a brilliant job and I would love to see them get the chance to make a proper sequel (
not that awful Triad Wars shite
).

Great game, and a seriously awesome protagonist.

caleb1915

Wei Shen takes up close shotgun blasts to the stomach and keeps on going.

BOSS.

His screams are always the appropriate intensity related to how painful it is to get shot tho.

I remember when
Winston got Red Wedding'd, I drove around the most densely populated part of Hong Kong leaning out the driver's side door screaming,"MY BROTHER'S DEAD!!" taking out everyone on the sidewalk in the process.

I felt like I really had to double down on the whole undercover triad thing.

Dr. Buni

Fantastic game, pretty much the only GTA-like game I enjoyed (other than Chinatown Wars on the DS, underrated game btw).

That non-ending ending, though... I was expecting a lot more and then suddenly the game ended.

Lulubop

No lie, my favorite open world game. I really dug the atmosphere and the game played great. Definitely needs a sequel =(

One thing I really dug was how relatively compact it was for an open world game. It felt big enough to convey a believable sense of a modern city, but wasn't huge for the sake of it.

down 2 orth

I remember the remaster getting a bad rep. Is that because it's not 60fps? If that's the only reason, then I'll definitely buy this...

Rymuth

Good game but it has two missed opportunities.

- the surveillance minigame could have been something fun if implemented right

- the Cop/Criminal meter should have had some impact on the storyline

Softly radio station is the best radio station. Shanghai Nights <3

I remember the remaster getting a bad rep. Is that because it's not 60fps? If that's the only reason, then I'll definitely buy this...

I bought the remaster for a measly ÂŁ9 and had a great time with it. Looked gorgeous at times, particularly at nighttime when all the neon signs were on.

caleb1915

Good game but it has two missed opportunities.

- the surveillance minigame could have been something fun if implemented right

- the Cop/Criminal meter should have had some impact on the storyline

Im honestly glad it didn't, during some of the missions involving cars it's nearly impossible to avoid collateral damage which brings your cop score down.

I'd hate to get the bad ending because i took out too many street lamps during the last mission.

Five

Banned
I like the game a lot. My favorite part is probably taking out gangs by driving a car into whichever alley they're hiding in and running them all over.

The only part I thought was poorly done was all of dating side missions. Each of the (4?) girls you meet barely scratch the surface. I would have preferred to go steady with one of them for the whole game or just have more content/missions with each of them. Like, going up to the vista with Emma Stone's character and then never seeing her again was a bummer.

Such a good game. I got it for free on PS+ and loved it so much I bought the definitive edition just to support them. I also want to point out that in a lesser game, the game would present the cop and triad sides as a choice, but this game is brilliant in that it's totally possible and encouraged to level up both of them at once - being a good triad is all about sick combat shit, whilst being a good cop is all about not fucking up and avoiding collateral damage. The lack of mutual exclusivity is perfect for a game all about Wei Shen balancing the two sides of his character.

Also this game had a side mission where I had to sing Take On Me as bad as possible in order to help a dude in a club prove that tough guys sing badly.

down 2 orth

Softly radio station is the best radio station. Shanghai Nights <3

I bought the remaster for a measly ÂŁ9 and had a great time with it. Looked gorgeous at times, particularly at nighttime when all the neon signs were on.

Thanks for the info! Looks to be a must-buy game then.

The remaster is nowhere near as bad as some people make out. It looks really gorgeous with a reworked lighting engine (especially gorgeous at night), and the frame rate sticks to 30 about 95% of the time. I only noticed particular slowdown a few times during the campaign when things got especially hectic. I bought it from PSN in a sale for about ÂŁ9 I think and it was well worth that much.

Honestly, I suspect those people who suggest it's one of the worst remasters probably haven't played it.

Mexen

I like the game a lot. My favorite part is probably taking out gangs by driving a car into whichever alley they're hiding in and running them all over.

The only part I thought was poorly done was all of dating side missions. Each of the (4?) girls you meet barely scratch the surface. I would have preferred to go steady with one of them for the whole game or just have more content/missions with each of them. Like, going up to the vista with Emma Stone's character and then never seeing her again was a bummer.

Yeah, I agree! The dating part could have been more fleshed out. I remember taking photos of Amy and thinking, "so do I get to keep her as my waifu till the end of the game?" But just like that, she was gone. I thought I did something wrong because I called Amy and Tiffany around the same time. Lol

Jimrpg

Top 10 game for me, everything I wanted from an open world game. The best thing about the game is the gameplay and going from a fist fight to a gun fight and car chase seamlessly.

Yeah, I agree! The dating part could have been more fleshed out. I remember taking photos of Amy and thinking, "so do I get to keep her as my waifu till the end of the game?" But just like that, she was gone. I thought I did something wrong because I called Amy and Tiffany around the same time. Lol

I thought the thing with Not Ping and Tiffany calling you out for cheating sort of implied that Wei was a hit 'em and quit 'em sort of guy. He convinces himself that it's because he doesn't want to draw them into his dangerous life, but really he's just a dog who sleeps around.

At least that's how I role played it.

Five

Banned

I thought that too on my first play through, and I thought it again for the next couple girls. It probably wouldn't have bothered me in a lesser game, but these women all seemed so interesting and worth exploring, not your typical videogame reward women. They had their own motives and were quite feisty.

Wei Shen singing "i fought the law" was the best.

I love self-aware singalong sessions in games. Saint's Row 3 (and 4?) did this too a couple of times, and there's also the part in GTA V where Michael and his son squabble over the radio.

Consumer

I liked how it didn't try too hard to be a GTA clone and went its own direction with melee as its core focus, and other things like faction XP, outfits yielding bonuses, and other fun wacky things like car-jumping and slow-motion.

I didn't like how the parkour system was so limited, and there weren't as many combat moves as I'd like to see. A sequel should expand on both these areas. (think The Saboteur parkour with Godhand melee abilities).

It was a fun platinum trophy to earn, but it took me way too long to discover that the game's collectibles appear on your map after dating every girl possible. Not just the minimap, but the actual pause screen map.
One last tip that I unfortunately discovered right as I got the platinum:
If you bail out of your car with a pistol equipped, Wei auto-locks onto the gas tank. Take a shot to blow it up!

Jintor

fucking love sleepy dawgs.

the first act is incredible and the second and third acts have great plot points but are way too fucking rushed. but the story is so hong kong blood opera, i love it.

also the only game where I thought they had a really good reason to have a crime game not devolve into cover-based shooting

Forkball

It's a great game for sure. One of my favorite open world titles. I really enjoyed how it focused on melee combat. It takes some inspiration from Arkham, but it also has a good combo system and the counter move isn't completely broken (well until you upgrade it). The arcade feel of driving and the fast-paced shooting were also good elements. I highly recommend it, and the DLC isn't too bad either.

At the start I always used cars to run over gangs since I was getting destroyed by them.

I also like how few guns were involved in the game considering how difficult they are tÂś obtain and carry in Hong Kong

Corpekata

Banned
It feels like a game that had stuff cut to me. The stuff with Winston is great, it takes its' time. After that story arc you blow through everything way too fast. And I never really bought Wei's struggle too much. Almost all of the stuff with the cops is pretty weak.

Jimrpg

Whatever they doing with triad wars is such a waste of the sleeping dogs fan base...

Just give us Sleeping Dogs 2: Gangs of Shanghai

vypek

I love the game. Ridiculously fun and it was really enjoying to get the platinum. I went for it twice. And paid for the DLC when I played the PS3 version. And there was only one moment in one of the DLC that was not fun but otherwise I really enjoyed the whole thing. A sequel would be nice. Or prequel since they could tell plenty of stories. Even races were easy if you found the right car in eash class for you. I'm still stunned that Triad Wars is being put out.

It feels like a game that had stuff cut to me. The stuff with Winston is great, it takes its' time. After that story arc you blow through everything way too fast. And I never really bought Wei's struggle too much. Almost all of the stuff with the cops is pretty weak.

Yes, I agree. I think the political chess between the the Triad leaders was really interesting, but it also feels quite rushed after Winston is killed. Big Smile Lee is implied as the main villain quite early on (I think during the first conversation with Dogeyes?), and I felt like there was supposed to be a late game twist which never happened. Instead it was kind of like 'Oh, so Big Smile Lee is the main villain after all?' Maybe that's just my own incorrect assumptions.

UrbanRats

This, Dragon's Dogma and Hotline Miami; 2012 was better gaming year than 2013, despite it having massive heavy hitters.

purg3

slept with Malkin
How is the "remaster" or re-release on xbox one? A couple of places are going to have it dirt cheap for black friday sales, still have never played it.

Bittercup

One of my favourite open world games. The story wasn't that great at the end but gameplay is fun and Wei Shen is awesome. Especially when he's shirtless.

Digital Foundry did an analysis and comparison of the changes in the Definitive Edition.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-face-off

Top Bottom