• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: Halo 5 digital sales are in line with other AAA game releases

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know some people were debating this prior, so I thought we could have a thread.

GameSpot said:
Bartel went on to say there is no reason to believe Halo 5's digital sales were higher than what they were modeling, based on conversations with Microsoft. "We are in constant discussions with all publishers and platform-holders and we believe that all major full-game titles launched in this quarter were in line with previously announced digital download levels," he said.

"We are in full understanding and full belief that there is no game that was launched this quarter that was materially above a normal digital percent at launch."
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5-star-wars-battlefront-assassins-creed-syndi/1100-6432535/

For reference, that'd be about ~20%.

MCC fucked Halo up so bad. It doesn't help that the MP feels plain as fuck compared to CoD.

I honestly think the series will be dead if halo 6 doesn't drastically do better.

I thought digital was taking over.......

But seriously when it comes to buying new games for consoles digital is straight scam imo. Deals like GCU makes its really hard to buy a thing that i may or may not even own for a higher price. Digital market for consoles need someone like GMG to keep up with physical releases for new games.

Hero

Glad to hear that so we can stop this digital sales nonsense.

343 and Microsoft really damaged Halo.

The more interesting part of that quote is seeing that a b&m retailer is in constant discussions with platform holders about digital sales. It's almost as if retailers still have a big influence on digital games on console, even though they theoretically wouldn't have anything to do with them! :p

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but from the NPD thread Halo seemed to be doing a third of what 4 did.

not surprising xbox doesn't have the audience it used to have anymore this gen. I would think a lot of their userbase moved to ps4 this year. Thus any exclusive on xbox one is not doing good. TR and Halo5 both failed to live up to their predecessors sale wise.

Iorv3th

not surprising xbox doesn't have the audience it used to have anymore this gen. I would think a lot of their userbase moved to ps4 this year. Thus any exclusive on xbox one is not doing good. TR and Halo5 both failed to live up to their predecessors sale wise.

The xbox one has a higher install base than the 360 did when halo 3 launched. Halo 3 sold much better.

The more interesting part of that quote is seeing that a b&m retailer is in constant discussions with platform holders about digital sales. It's almost as if retailers still have a big influence on digital games on console, even though they theoretically wouldn't have anything to do with them! :p

doesn't surprise me if retailers have a huge influence on console digital pricing. These retailers are distributing your machines. if you undercut them they will just stop selling your console. GG. You can't just do good prices on console digital space. There are many factors involved imo.

pastrami

10 out of my 9 friends bought it digitally. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but surely there's some truth to it?

I'm going to guess the real digital ratio is 50% based on hopes and dreams.

Jinaar

If I was MS I wouldn't tell GS the factual numbers/percentages.

MS - "Ummmm .... the numbers... yahhhhhh.... oh ya at best 20%, Gamespot. You have nothing to worry about."

*Looks at the chart on the computer monitor which shows higher sell percentage digitally. Starts to laugh uncontrollably*

GS - "What was that laughter I just heard?????"

*MS keeps laughing*

But I know of 9 friends with 9 friends who each bought 9 copies digitally... D:

QXAFNK8.gif

:p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The xbox one has a higher install base than the 360 did when halo 3 launched. Halo 3 sold much better.

Halo 3 was when Halo was the premiere console FPS though. Times have changed drastically. Fan reception to 4 and MCC certainly didn't help either.

the guy who's company is under threat from losing tons of business from digital says digital sales were normal and no real figure?

hmmmm.

no reason to believe its 9:1 but no reason doubt this guy a little too. he has no idea what the digital sales are lol

GAMEPROFF

Banned
the guy who's company is under threat from losing tons of business from digital says digital sales were normal and no real figure?

hmmmm.

no reason to believe its 9:1 but no reason doubt this guy a little too. he has no idea what the digital sales are lol
EA just recently said it were still about 20:80. I dont see why it should be different here.

RibMan

I thought this would be the case. The claim that digital sales for Halo 5 were on par or higher than the physical sales was just terribly misguided.

Unlike the PC market, the console market is still dominated by physical software. This will absolutely change in the future, but in the present reality, there is absolutely no evidence that digital sales of physical first/physically-released console titles are anything to write home about.

Top Bottom