• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 media player was updated last night

dealer-

Yeah saw this earlier.

Version 1.50

- Arabic is now supported
- The closed captioning feature for videos has been improved
- [Display Mode] has been added to [Videos]
- The location of media in [Recently Played] and [Favourites] can now be displayed
- Stability during use of some features has been improved

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I hope it actually works now. I have no idea why this one was so terrible when the PS3 media player was so good.
For me it works better than the PS3 one. I don't understand the volume of complaints about this media player. It's flat out better than the PS3 media player in a few things that actually matter:

- Plays MKVs without transcoding
- Plays 1080p videos through network (from Kodi etc) without a hitch, even when you rewind and fast forward. On PS3, even when I played (transcoded) MKVs with surround sound from the locally attached usb drive, the rewind feature was just hopeless. You rewind, and then wait for ten seconds for the playback to continue. Rewinding such file played through network would result in some kind of error 50% of the time, so I gave up on the networked storage pretty quickly, as it was useless on PS3.

Andrefpvs

It's great that they're implementing the features from that survey. I hope DTS support and trick play are next.

I wonder what this means. Can anyone with a couple of fansubbed MKVs test the subtitles?

For me it works better than the PS3 one. I don't understand the volume of complaints about this media player. It's flat out better than the PS3 media player in a few things that actually matter:

- Plays 1080p videos through network (from Kodi etc) without a hitch, even when you rewind and fast forward. On PS3, even when I played (transcoded) MKVs with surround sound from the locally attached usb drive, the rewind feature was just hopeless. You rewind, and then wait for ten seconds for the playback to continue. Rewinding such file played through network would result in some kind of error 50% of the time, so I gave up on the networked storage pretty quickly as it was useless on PS3.

It actually just doesn't work for me. It can't play any of the files that I can play on my PS3. I use a MacBook to stream, so maybe that's the problem.

vvise

Occasionally items that fail to play in Plex or stutter will run like butter in the media player (if im on the local network).

The ui is basic but works well.

It actually just doesn't work for me. It can't play any of the files that I can play on my PS3. I use a MacBook to stream, so maybe that's the problem.

I'm also using a Macbook. Try putting your files either directly on your desktop or in a folder on your desktop. I noticed that if the filepath is too long, the app will say "unreadable file" (or something alike).

- Plays 1080p videos through network (from Kodi etc) without a hitch, even when you rewind and fast forward. On PS3, even when I played (transcoded) MKVs with surround sound from the locally attached usb drive, the rewind feature was just hopeless. You rewind, and then wait for ten seconds for the playback to continue. Rewinding such file played through network would result in some kind of error 50% of the time, so I gave up on the networked storage pretty quickly as it was useless on PS3.

Second this...The PS4 media player is way better than the PS3. As you stated the 1080p playback is seamless. No hiccups while scrubbing either way and quality is not lost.

I do have issues with playback of some 1080p files but I have no clue why.

liquidtmd

Banned
Yeah saw this earlier.

Version 1.50

- The location of media in [Recently Played] and [Favourites] can now be displayed

giphy.gif

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Have they improved the fast forward and rewind? The PS3's media player was awesome for that.

I hope it actually works now. I have no idea why this one was so terrible when the PS3 media player was so good.

What? It's been amazing for me. MKV support and the ui has been great

Ahh bummer. So worth it for the MKV support for me though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I use that too. I use Kodi as a media streamer, and Time Capsule for media storage (but obviously, any usb drive plugged into Macbook can be used as well). Even through this seemingly convoluted setup (TC -> MBP with Kodi -> PS4) it plays MKV files flawlessly, and far better than I ever could from a local usb drive attached to PS3.

BouncyFrag

I just ran a 5k and can verify that the stability update is for reals as I was able to shave off a few seconds from last year's run.

fvng

yup

bargeparty

No dts support.

Dio

Banned
It's great that they're implementing the features from that survey. I hope DTS support and trick play are next.

I wonder what this means. Can anyone with a couple of fansubbed MKVs test the subtitles?

EDIT: Never mind. It works through stuff like UMS but is still not working with, say, USB sticks.

muteki

Only thing I don't like about it is the lack of ability to seek/reverse transcoded videos.

Otherwise its fine.

Can I use the media player to play songs from a flash drive while I play games, similar to what I can with Spotify?

If so, that'd be awesome.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just tested it with the Outlaw Star BDs and their fansubs. Everything appears to work perfectly fine font/color wise, including the special stuff.

Wow thats awesome.

For people who want to change audio tracks on PS4 for anime or movies, I recommend MKVTollNix GUI. It sounds like a hassle but it is so easy and quick to just delete the audio tracks you don't want on a video file so it defaults to the one you want. Works on mp4 too (although it make output as an mkv)

Wow thats awesome.

For people who want to change audio tracks on PS4 for anime or movies, I recommend MKVTollNix GUI. It sounds like a hassle but it is so easy and quick to just delete the audio tracks you don't want on a video file so it defaults to the one you want. Works on mp4 too (although it make output as an mkv)
Well even better you can just change the default audio and subtitle track.
In case you would like to listen to the other language later.

Banned
Yeah saw this earlier.

Version 1.50

Mmmmmm there it is.

Andrefpvs

I just tested it with the Outlaw Star BDs and their fansubs. Everything appears to work perfectly fine font/color wise, including the special stuff.

Sorry about the phone images, I can't do screens with the PS4 internal function here and I don't have my capture setup ready.

Whoa, awesome! Thanks for testing, Dio!

Are the subtitles .srt or are they embedded in the .mkv?

EDIT:

:(

Second this...The PS4 media player is way better than the PS3.

Not a chance. The decoder is horrible. I loaded up my Down by Law (Criterion) DVD on the PS4 and its gorgeous black & white visuals are a smeary, washed-out mess. It looks like the quality you'd see from a $50 DVD player. They have a ton of work to do to get back to the PS3 player's image quality (which is admittedly better than it should be for a console).

Dio

Banned
Whoa, awesome! Thanks for testing, Dio!

Are the subtitles .srt or are they embedded in the .mkv?

They're embedded, but they're not hardsubbed. They're ssa/ass.

If they were hardsubbed that would destroy the entire point, lol.

Well, I might have to give the Media Player another try. Last time I did, it was during its launch and it was for from glorious. Nothing worked for me.

My PS3 is still connected to the TV mainly for the NDLA (and occasionally for some PS+ games).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They're embedded, but they're not hardsubbed. They're ssa/ass.

If they were hardsubbed that would destroy the entire point, lol.

Are you sure that whatever you're using to stream from your PC isn't "burning" the subs into the image as it transcodes? Can you actually control them on the PS4? Unless you're playing it from a drive plugged right into the PS4, of course.

Dio

Banned
Are you sure that whatever you're using to stream from your PC isn't "burning" the subs into the image as it transcodes? Can you actually control them on the PS4? Unless you're playing it from a drive plugged right into the PS4, of course.

I did a bit of testing and it looks like you're pretty much right. I can't get the same MKVs to run at all from a USB stick, it just can't play them even though it sees them.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its still crap. Can't play files that have anything symbols in them, can't play 99% of MKV's even though it sees them, can't recognize basic HDD's without reformatting the entire thing, and even then can barely run them right.

Shit shit shit.

My Infernal Affairs Trilogy (.avi files with soft subs) doesnt work anymore after the update arrrg. This loading circle thingy keeps spinning on a black screen and only the audio still works. Not 5 days ago it was working perfectly too damnit.
I'm using serviio btw.

My PS4 has never been able to play any of my mkvs on a flash drive formatted through either of the FAT file systems and placed in a folder. I don't get why, but it makes the media player completely useless for me. Maybe it will work now?

Nyx

In combination with UMS it's been great for me, without it I couldn't play half of the files I have.

Top Bottom