• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Ace Combat 7 to be announced at PSX2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyS

o9XsaSP.jpg

Acecombatskies might wanna get their site back up soon :p

MechaX

Ace Combat 4, 5, and to a slightly lesser extent, 0, were the absolute pinnacle of this series. Six was cool too, I admittedly bought a 360 just to play 6 back in the day and I was not disappointed.

I do not see a cheesy-as-fuck story like AC5 working that well today, but if they channel AC4 in a prospective sequel... holy fuck, the world needs this (with the original OST team too, since I think the guy left Namco since AC6 and Assault Horizon).

Also, more Strangereal universe. Assault Horizon's psudeo-real-life-verse is boring a shit.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
oh man, if this happens i am willing to forgive every poor decision namco ever made in the last few years.

i would dance with the angels for strangereal, locked 60fps, and no dogfight mode.

4 was the highest rated/scoring AC ever, followed by 5 then 2.
If they want to get their base attention this gen they need to focus on what made 4-5 so good, recapture that goodness and sell that shit. Core fans of AC hated the 7th gen direction the series took.

It scored that good becuase it was the first doing an amazing work on ps2. I dont think 4 passed the test of time that well. The menus are also super clumsy.
5 is a much better game that tried to do the same thing, only bigger and better. Some scores at the time said it was more of the same, and they lowered the score, but is a much better game in all aspects, gameplay included.

Maybe some people like the simpler story elements, but simpler is not always better, and playing 4 and 5 back to back, 4 story is sometimes a mess because, even being super simple, is not well executed, and theres no real characters becuase most of the things that happen in the cutscenes are not really tied to the gameplay. Its like if someone is reading a storybook nearly desligated from what is really happening.

And even with that, 5 has the arcade mode that follows that simple story if you like more what AC4 did with little mission variety, gameplay and little story.

Ace Combat 4, 5, and to a slightly lesser extent, 0, were the absolute pinnacle of this series. Six was cool too, I admittedly bought a 360 just to play 6 back in the day and I was not disappointed.

I do not see a cheesy-as-fuck story like AC5 working that well today, but if they channel AC4 in a prospective sequel... holy fuck, the world needs this (with the original OST team too, since I think the guy left Namco since AC6 and Assault Horizon).

Also, more Strangereal universe. Assault Horizon's psudeo-real-life-verse is boring a shit.

When I played Zero the first time, up until the middle end, it didnt catch me, and i thought I was goign to love it. But from that part and a repeat, the game is fucking great. Theres some problems with the knight/neutral/mercenary bar but its really cool you see different rivals and stories by changing it.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No you! I'd kill for a proper Ridge Racer!

KILL!!!!

I'm with you bro, used to be a great series. Part of me is still waiting for proper a Ridge Racer Type 4 sequel. Though at the same time I would easily sacrifice the series for a new Ace Combat in the same vein as AC 4/5/0.

Shoeless

I think even if this rumored AC isn't the one that's PSVR enabled, one will eventually come. Cockpit games are a natural fit for VR, and since it was Bamco that was messing around that Summer Lesson VR tease, it probably means they've already been experimenting with an AC prototype.

While we're at it, can we get another Over-G Fighters? Or at least some game that fills the gap between Ace Combat and DCS/Falcon BMS sort of like what Warthunder does for WW2 Flight Sims. I am excited to see what a next gen Ace Combat looks like because their presentation is always impressive. Hopefully it won't have the scripted Dog Fight Mode from Assault Horizon

oimori

I really love this series, but I don't know whether this series would do a World Premier in such a huge conference.

Ordinarily, its unveiling is done on famitsu or something, not in a conferences as far as I know.

Xater

I'd take another Ace Combat if it's also a return to quality. Also please be 60fps.

A real new Ridge Racer would also be alright.

Hikami

Please be true. I used to play 4 all the time at a friend's house. Tried Infinity when I finally got a PS3 and it was eh.. not the same.

REDSLATE

...I've seen the grave Namco dug for Ace next to Ridge Racer. RIP :-(

Could always be worse...

[nods toward unmarked drainage ditch where the weathered remains of Breakdown reside]

Thanks.... Microsoft... well done.

It's not Microsoft's fault the fans didn't buy the game. Even going back to the OG Xbox, Japanese players have generally resisted buying into a foreign brand. Microsoft put forth a genuine effort.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Dude? Go play 4-6! You honestly don't know what you've been missing. Assault Horizon is AC's bastard child.

i'd say that ac3 (japanese version) is up there with 4-5-0 as essential playing. definitely above 6 at least.

luckily the fan translation is starting to make good progress and you can play through one of the routes completely in english now.

I can't begin to express how happy I would be if the next Ace Combat returned to strangereal, had a sick doomsday weapon, and was VR compatible. God it would be wonderful.

REDSLATE

i'd say that ac3 (japanese version) is up there with 4-5-0 as essential playing. definitely above 6 at least.

luckily the fan translation is starting to make good progress and you can play through one of the routes completely in english now.

Haven't played much of the PlayStation AC games. What's significant between the Japanese and North American release of 3?

Chobel

One thing I don't get! Why tease the place and date of the reveal? In update note nonetheless?

Teasing the next installment? OK I get that. Teasing where it will be announced? It doesn't make any sense.

Glowsquid

Haven't played much of the PlayStation AC games. What's significant between the Japanese and North American release of 3?

The JP version of AC3 was an extravaganza, featuring multiple animated cutscenes by production IG, branching storylines with their own endings, and 52 missions.

The western version removed all the cutscenes and replaced them with half-arsed text infodumps, changed the game to al linear sequnece of missions (cutting out many of them entirely), and entirely removed the voice acting and wingmates from (most) missions.

I can dig it (assuming its true). I played a decent amount of 3 and loved AC5. I'd love to start playing the series again. Always meant to pick up 6, but this will be even better.

Glowsquid

http://nozomi.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/gamestg/1447844850/371

this response written in november 19th is the oldest I can find. no sources, just claiming "you could see that message within 30 minute after (the latest) update". No other people in the thread seemed to notice such massage.

my hype is now going to FOX4.

who would use a random 2chan post as a...

Rumor comes from dualshocker

oh

(they linked to this wiki talk but only one guy is talking about it and one of the response say it's fake, based on what google translate spews out???)

Assault Horizon Legazy, the remake of AC2 for 3ds, needs more love. Not as good as the ps2 trilogy, but is super fun to play and more similar to those 3 than any of the modern games.

I'm not sure if I could get passed a PS2 game nowadays :(

The still look good if graphics are your problem, they aged pretty well.
The gameplay from those 3 is still better than modern ace combats (aircraft menus is 4 are a little bit iffy though).

And even if i have stated that AC4 has aged worse than 5 and Zero, is still a game that needs to be played. If only for the improvement you will see when you jump from 4 to 5.
Play 4, then arcade mode in 5 (continues the story of 4), then story mode in 5, then zero.

BadWolf

The JP version of AC3 was an extravaganza, featuring multiple animated cutscenes by production IG, branching storylines with their own endings, and 52 missions.

The western version removed all the cutscenes and replaced them with half-arsed text infodumps, changed the game to al linear sequnece of missions (cutting out many of them entirely), and entirely removed the voice acting and wingmates from (most) missions.

So many years have passed and I'm still so damn pissed about this.

I was so excited for AC3 because I got to see a little of the Japanese version by pure chance but what we ended up getting was nothing short of tragic.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
PLEASE A PROPER ACE COMBAT GAME ;__________________________________;

ALSO NAMCO I WILL GIVE YOU UNGODLY AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR ACE COMBAT 4-5-Zero HD COLLECTION!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom