• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

killercow

Nintendo's new game console is scheduled to enter mass production at the end of the first quarter 2016 and despite the fact that the Japan-based company is targeting to ship 20 million units in 2016, the device's upstream component suppliers expect shipments to only reach around 10-12 million units. Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) reportedly has been chosen to manufacture the device, but the company declined to comment on its clients or orders.

The new console is estimated to enter mass shipments in the second quarter. In addition to Foxconn, suppliers such as Foxconn Technology, Macronix, Pixart Imaging, Coxon Precise Industrial, Nishoku Technology, Delta Technology, Lingsen Precision Industries and Jentech will also supply components for the device.

Digitimes Research expects Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 to achieve shipments of 13 and 18 million units, respectively in 2016, and if Nintendo's new console is able to ship 10 million units in the year, the company will then be able to maintain its competitiveness in the market.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20151130PD203.html

Turrican3

[restating my doubts of the previous (not-quite-in-topic?) thread]

I don't understand whether digitimes refers to business/financial year quarter or civil year quarter.

To be honest, a financial quarter reference (i.e. mass shipments in jul-sep, as they talk about Q2 and Nintendo's FY starts in april) seems more reasonable, if we assume they are targeting a fall/holiday 2016 launch, that is.

...and if Nintendo's new console is able to ship 10 million units in the year, the company will then be able to maintain its competitiveness in the market.

Shipping is one thing, getting people to buy it is another.

Euron

So it is a console then? Thought they'd go with the handheld first in 2016 then the console in 2017. Unless the two are one in the same...

I have a feeling at E3. Then a fall release maybe.
I'd assume some sort of reveal conference in either February or March. And that's if they don't simply reveal it in a Direct.

Miles X

Did they not learn with WiiU? WiiU in 3 years hasn't even hit 12m, so unless they believe they have a gamechanger (and I mean they're biased, why wouldn't they) I don't see how we'll see a different outcome.

Savitar

I'm quite curious to see how Nintendo does. Can they really reverse their fortunes? Or will it be the Sega situation all over. You can't ever fully rule out Nintendo but what can they do.

Compsiox

Banned
What about getting the word out. Shouldn't we have much more information by now if it's coming out in 6 months?

JordanN

Banned
Seems pretty optimistic.

Are they really expecting to sell them all or is just a contract to manufacture that many?

When Gamecube was doing badly, I recall they didn't even have to make new ones for a year, because they already had a ton of them in storage.

Iacobellis

What about getting the word out. Shouldn't we have much more information by now if it's coming out in 6 months?

I imagine Nintendo would have already given some details about the NX if it's coming out next year. Nintendo has always revealed new systems way in advance, even while Sony and Microsoft switched to the "Apple" style of product announcements.

Azure J

This upcoming year is going to be fascinating. I'm hoping Nintendo has the right cards and plays them well, but I remember "launch window" & wubstep launch Wii U commercials at the same time.

the Japan-based company is targeting to ship 20 million units in 2016

Nintendo thinks it'll need twice as many NXs on shelves in its first year than the Wii U has sold in its lifetime? Okey dokey Ninty.

udivision

More evidence that the handheld is coming first.

Id be right there with you guys saying this is crazy for a Wii U successor... Which is why I think it's the 3DS one.

Zalman

If this is referring to both an NX console and an NX handheld, I guess it's possible. Also, maybe it's the 2016 fiscal year, not the calendar year.

Shahed

Did they not learn with WiiU? WiiU in 3 years hasn't even hit 12m, so unless they believe they have a gamechanger (and I mean they're biased, why wouldn't they) I don't see how we'll see a different outcome.
If it's both handheld and console units counted separately then it's not really a problwm

True Fire

This thing is eventually getting new mainline Pokemon, on top of all of the HD Nintendo IPs. It'll do better than the Wii U for sure.

So seriously, how reliable is Digitimes?

Why is it so consistently called a "console" in every article if it's in fact a handheld? Is that common for unannounced systems?

"Handheld" is a substantive adjective standing in for "handheld console."

Top Bottom