• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 Backer Update for December

N.A

Banned
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1433395

CHUAPPX Expo Review & PayPal Rewards Poll

Greetings Backers,

There are two items on the agenda today. The first is question for you regarding the availability of Kickstarter rewards on PayPal and the second is a recap of Mr. Suzuki’s lecture at CHUAPPX Expo.

KICKSTARTER REWARDS ON PAYPAL Rewards labeled as “Kickstarter Exclusive” have not been offered on the PayPal site because we felt it was unfair to offer them after the Kickstarter had ended. There have been many requests, however, for certain rewards like the S3 World Telecom to be offered on the PayPal site. We would like everyone to weigh in and tell us what you think. If there is a strong consensus either way, the rewards will either remain as Kickstarter Exclusive, or will be offered on the PayPal site. Keeping our promise to you is very important to us; but at the same time, the PayPal site was set up precisely because fans could not back the Kickstarter and they feel they should not be penalized for that.

We have tweeted a poll so you can vote on the question. Please let us hear what you think! CLICK HERE for the Tweet Poll.

Next up, we have an abridged version of Mr. Suzuki’s talk at CHUAPPX.

rJwiA4P.png

Hello Everyone,

As you may know, I have recently spent a little time in China to promote and do research for Shenmue 3. I was able to give a give a presentation at the Chuapp X 2015 on the beginning of how I first started making Shenmue, the changing of the times along with the changes in technology, and the work flow of Shenmue 3’s production. I would like to share a portion of that presentation with you here.

XOnM6TH.png

PthsTTZ.png

jLWIp3F.png

uAxaNs0.png

xD6sCiK.png

There are eleven chapters that make up the story of Shenmue, and those chapters are the basis for the games. Shenmue 1 comprised of Chapter 1, and Shenmue 2 focused mainly on Chapter 2, but also incorporated parts of Chapters 4 and 5. The composition for Shenmue 3 has been finalized, and will begin with Chapter 5 as the continuation of Shenmue 2, to move on past Chapter 6. The story has been written to align with this structure; and the planning for the game elements that will go along with the story have been completed. This project was conceived to be scalable, since the game would necessarily need to be adjusted based on the Kickstarter. Once the Kickstarter was complete and the budget for the project determined, a detailed work flow was produced to fit within those constraints. Following along with the game work flow, we have now begun our baseline research work with UE4. I find this to be the most exciting phase of the game development. Having completed the baseline research, we will then move on to the GDD (game design document) and TDD (test-driven development) processes. Once these steps have been completed, actual production will begin.

m43Afef.png

Scenes from the prototype. The forest in Shenmue 2 was created using the Magic Maze System With UE4, weather changes and forest density will be improved.

vZb0rTq.png

A test model room within UE4. A shadow resembling Ine-san’s is present. Why do you suppose that is?

ggIRJXn.png

The basic systems have been put in place and we are currently testing the Destruction (when objects break) and High Ground (environmental interactivity) effects. Unlike the development from 15 years earlier, we have assets already available to us and we are in an era where we can create prototypes even without a programmer. Programs, artwork and planning have become more closely related, realizing a new type of work flow for a new age. This new work flow utilizes both game engines, which used to be very expensive, and allows for work to be done on a more open, individual basis. I hope this will lead to everyone more fully enjoying their work.

This concludes today’s update. I hope you all will continue to follow along with us through the process. Thank you very much.

yrzrsge.png

playXray

This is looking really sweet. However, I'm a bit confused about the chapters - does this mean there will need to be another two or three games to finish the story?

This is looking really sweet. However, I'm a bit confused about the chapters - does this mean there will need to be another two or three games to finish the story?

He's always been pretty vocal about it needing a couple more games in regards to story. I hope he does as much as he can with this one.

N.A

Banned

Yu Suzuki said ideally the story will be told over 5 games.

benzy

Yes. Suzuki said the story would suffer if he had to condense the rest into this one game, so he decided not to end the story in S3.

A mistake in the newsletter - in the context of the sentence, TDD means Technical Design Document, not Test Driven Development. They are going to write the two design docs and then move onto production.

DavidDesu

Really if we can get one game made via crowd funding, and if it feels part of the Shenmue series then I expect other games can be funded by the same method if need be for that fan base. It's episodic gaming really. If it's remotely successful then maybe another Kickstarter won't be needed in future. I'd rather see the series play out over a long time and conclude fully rather than stuff a majority of the story into one relatively small game.

Piccoro

Remember to vote on their Twitter poll, people!
They are asking if the slacker backers should have the same exclusive rewards as the Kickstarter backers.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
My two biggest hope for this:

1. Shenmue 3 gets a retail release (and not exclusive to one retailer)

2. Shenmue 1 & 2 get an HD collection before the release of Shenmue 3, also as a retail release. They don't even need to do much, just upscale them and put them in widescreen.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
My two biggest hope for this:

1. Shenmue 3 gets a retail release (and not exclusive to one retailer)

2. Shenmue 1 & 2 get an HD collection before the release of Shenmue 3, also as a retail release. They don't even need to do much, just upscale them and put them in widescreen.

I kind of feel like the second one wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe closer to the release of Shenmue 3, but is there any way to play them apart from the Dreamcast? I think 2 might have been on the original xbox as well? A PC release would probably be the cheapest & most reasonable option.

master15

I kind of feel like the second one wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe closer to the release of Shenmue 3, but is there any way to play them apart from the Dreamcast? I think 2 might have been on the original xbox as well? A PC release would probably be the cheapest & most reasonable option.

Yes, Shenmue 2 was ported to Xbox with English voice-acting and a few graphical tweaks and Shenmue the movie.

Cedric also comments on Shenmue 1&2 HD in video I linked. I think there's a good chance it's coming or at least being heavily considered at this juncture.

ajim

Good update. Not sure how I missed this.

And as much as I love love love the idea of more Shenmue games, I feel it is so risky only having two chapters in the third game and leaving the remaining chapters over an additional 2 games.

I know Yu of unwavering in his determination to make Shenmue as originally planned, but this is another risky situation.

Well, I'll be there to support anyway which possible.

And what was that little comment about Ine Sans shadow being there? Memories of distant days from Ryo?

UrbanRats

I hate that 3 is finally happening and they're not concluding the story.

It seems like madness to me.

I'm fine with that honestly.
I was never too much interested in the end itself, but in continuing the journey.

I mean, the end will probably be "Ryo defeats the bad guy", or "Shenhua defeats the supernatural evil" anyway.

If they need funding for a fourth don't you think the Shenmue fanbase will pony up the cash again? As long as 3 doesn't suck? Since they will. I know I will if that's what it takes. Also, 3 may end up making enough of a profit for a fourth anyway since it's now being made on Unreal Engine isntead of having its own built from the ground up engine, so costs will be down from back in the day.

The best part of a story is the journey not the end. If we don't end up getting a Shenmue 4 after 3 then Yu could always write the story down in a book and give some satisfaction. No need to dilute the world with a compressed story.

Joqu

I missed the update but I'm glad they held that poll and that the results were positive. I've been bothering them about those missing paypal rewards for quite a while now. :p

epmode

Is it possible to ask for a refund from Kickstarter, even after the campaign ends?
No. You can hope that the developer provides one but it's a pretty tacky move. Crowdfunding isn't preordering. I find it's best to back with the understanding that the game might never be released at all.

I think with the planet wide Shenmue love being reignited at E3, Sony supporting the game and covering marketing, Yu Suzuki being at the helm with ex-AM2 staff and the game's positional release date being Christmas 2017 - everything is in place for this game to do well. Perhaps not exceptionally well but quite well. Well enough to fund a Shenmue 4. Yu Suzuki is also becoming serious about getting back in to game development (Virtua Fighter and Outrun successors planned).

By the time 2018 rolls around I think his studio will have the funding and power to produce a theoretical Shenmue 4.

SilentRob

The best part of a story is the journey not the end. If we don't end up getting a Shenmue 4 after 3 then Yu could always write the story down in a book and give some satisfaction. No need to dilute the world with a compressed story.

So why have Shenmue 3 then? That's a weird argument when the missing conclusion to the story was the main argument I kept reading for why Shenmue has to make a comeback.

After Shenmue 3 we are up to Chapter 6 of 11? So we probably need a Shenmue 4, 5 and 6, too? That sounds kind of insane to me, considering it took more than a decade and a crowdfunding campaign to even get this one :/ I mean, yes, he could always finish it in a book, but why wouldn't he have done that already? Clearly he wants to use the medium of video games. Just betting on the fact that he can develop two or three more games when it's a small miracle he even managed to produce a third one could very possibly simply lead to another situation where fans sit around with yet another cliffhanger, repeating the whole thing over again. If there ever was a time to conclude this story, it is now.

Rising_Hei

So why have Shenmue 3 then? That's a weird argument when the missing conclusion to the story was the main argument I kept reading for why Shenmue has to make a comeback.

After Shenmue 3 we are up to Chapter 6 of 11? So we probably need a Shenmue 4, 5 and 6, too? That sounds kind of insane to me, considering it took more than a decade and a crowdfunding campaign to even get this one :/ I mean, yes, he could always finish it in a book, but why wouldn't he have done that already? Clearly he wants to use the medium of video games. Just betting on the fact that he can develop two or three more games when it's a small miracle he even managed to produce a third one could very possibly simply lead to another situation where fans sit around with yet another cliffhanger, repeating the whole thing over again. If there ever was a time to conclude this story, it is now.

If you just rush this, you'll ruin it. You can't pretend him to end with his original plan for shenmue and give us a rushed ending no one likes.

Shenmue has to have a grand finalle in a big city with epic things happening, it can't end in rural china lol

ajim

Yu Suzuki has said since the first game in 1999 that it was planned to be spread out through 4 games.
It'll probably be 5 games really. I'm happy with that.

I just don't want Shenmue 3 to end on a massive cliff hanger like 2.

The people looking for a true sequel to Shenmue 2 aren't looking for a rushed story just to get to the end. Shenmue has a huge long story that wouldn't be possible to shove into one game.

Personally I'd much rather take the chance with Shenmue 3 being as close to the original story as possible and waiting for a Shenmue 4. It's very possible the revenue from 3 could fund a 4th one with another crowdfunding campaign, or we end up finishing up everything through a book.

Top Bottom