• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Breaks Xbox Black Friday Records; Windows 10 Gaming Continues To Rise

A winning combination of the most critically acclaimed holiday lineup of exclusives in Xbox history, the New Xbox One Experience complete with Backward Compatibility, and an extensive line-up of console bundles, drove record Xbox One sales in the U.S. and Xbox Store sales worldwide, with record engagement from Xbox fans around the world over Black Friday week.

• Xbox fans around the world spent a total of 325 million hours gaming on Xbox Live this past week. Hours spent playing games on Xbox One last week were up 196 percent compared to Black Friday week in 2014, and time spent using Xbox apps increased a whopping 321 percent.
  • Worldwide Xbox Black Friday sales in the Xbox Store broke records with an increase of 57 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360, global Xbox Live Gold subscriptions were up over 40 percent, and U.S. Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year, making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S.
  • Total paid unique users in the Xbox Store also broke records with an increase of 55 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360 compared to Black Friday week last year, with 88 percent growth on Xbox One alone.
  • Hardware is hot this holiday – the Xbox One 500GB Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Bundle was the best-selling Xbox console bundle. The Xbox Elite Wireless Controller has been met with high demand and was sold out at most major U.S. retailers since launch and we are working hard with retailers to replenish stock.

http://majornelson.com/2015/12/03/x...-10-gaming-continues-to-rise/?linkId=19295212

thanks bgamer90, more windows 10 info at the link

Man they are dead set on this active users stuff. Whole PR is essentially about Xbox Live usage.

Edit- nvm up 22% over last year? HOLY SHIT thats a huge number!

GobFather

Man they are dead set on this active users stuff. Whole PR is essentially about Xbox Live usage.

Also they state Gears bubdle was best selling "Xbox system" not system in general. Likely confirmation Sony won Black Friday Hardware sales
I don't what to think of these data lol

Bgamer90

Banned
22% higher than last year? Didn't they sell over a million last November?

Yeah, though again, they are just referring to Black Friday and not the whole month.

Seems like the Xbox One doing at least one million in November is a safe bet though.

22% higher than last year? Didn't they sell over a million last November?

I could see them having a higher Black Friday this year than last year, but still down overall on November. Uncle Phil's Discount Xbox's started at the beginning of the month and BF was only 30 bucks cheaper than that.

Yeah, though again, they are just referring to Black Friday and not the whole month.

Seems like the Xbox One doing at least one million in November is a safe bet though.

They were up over last year in the previous weeks you can bet on it. Fallout, Black Ops 3, and Battlefront were moving major hardware

Title should be "Xbox Breaks Xbox Black Friday Records", since they seem to have been quite careful to keep referring only to their own previous records.

Trojan

I get that MS wants to focus on customer engagement, but parsing through this release is difficult without some proper sales info. It seems like they're dancing around the issue big time.

Or they sold less throughout November but on Black Friday sold 22% more.

Don't try to read this as a 22% growth over the entirety of November, that's just asking to be PR'd.

Wagram

Good for Microsoft!

Interesting note though: no mention of Xbox being the best selling console. Safe to say both Sony and Microsoft did VERY well in November.

harSon

Banned
Good for Microsoft!

Interesting note though: no mention of Xbox being the best selling console. Safe to say both Sony and Microsoft did VERY well in November.

Would they even have access to other company's numbers at this point?

HardRojo

NPD is going to be interesting.
Also, isn't this talking only about Xbox own records? Title makes it sound differently, as I was expecting PR announcing they sold the most consoles among competitors.

border

I wouldn't bet on that at all, because there were games last November too and the deal was (relatively) far better last year.

Last year they had a $350 Assassin's Creed bundle plus a $30-$60 gift card.

This year they had a $300 Gears of War bundle plus a $30-$60 gift card.

Unless you love Assassin's Creed, I don't see how last year would qualify as "far better".

They were up over last year in the previous weeks you can bet on it. Fallout, Black Ops 3, and Battlefront were moving major hardware

Anecdotally, last year's early November for MS was absurdly good due to the 349 AssCreed bundles.

This year had the bigger games, so it's a question of price vs games.

Unless you love Assassin's Creed, I don't see how last year would qualify as "far better".

329 was the BF price last year.

For most parts of Nov/Dec, they dropped from 399 to 350 and added two free games instead of just one.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Edit- nvm up 22% over last year? HOLY SHIT thats a huge number!

SAAS. Get used to seeing that acronym when it comes to anything MS going forward because they bet the horse on it.

Gren

I'm really surprised with the hours of Xbox streamed to PC. Would've thought the majority would've done it the other way around (i.e. from computer room to living room).

allan-bh

Best Xbox Black Friday Week: 2011 (960k)

Second Best Black Friday Week: 2012 (750k)

Xbox One in BF 2015 is now the new second best with more than 750k sold.

329 dollars for AC bundle last BF. There was some very heavy secondary bundling by retailers last year as well from what I remember. If you got anything less than 1 extra free game and the gift card on top of the 329 dollar XB1, you got ripped off. I think only the MS Store was offering that level of value add-in this year during BF.

etta

my hard graphic balls
If they didn't win November NPD then it's probably likely they won't win December either, right? So they got only October and by a small margin?
Damn.

Also doesn't it makes sense that users spent more time spent playing the console over Black Friday week last year since more people actually own one?
That has absolutely nothing to do with how the console did on Black Friday.

Shenmue

Banned
I'm feeling pretty good about my prediction that xbox edged out PlayStation for the month of November right now.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
22% over BF not the whole month and second best week in 15 years of xbox history... but the way it's worded means that it likely includes x1+x360

"Xbox Store"

is that what they call XBLA now?
Xbox Store covers the general digital marketplace across at least three platforms with X360, X1, PC. Phone might be in there, too. As it has been for two years now, XBLA only ever refers to X360 titles that are digital only.

The only thing I get from this PR is that it's highly probable Microsoft didn't 'Win' Black Friday.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but they probably wouldn't know if they had won because NPD for the period isn't out for subscribers to compare tallies against.

If they didn't win November NPD then it's probably likely they won't win December either, right? So they got only October and by a small margin?
Damn.

To be honest if you are MS right now who really cares if they beat Sony or not. If they beat last years 1.2 million for November those are healthy as hell hardware sales.

Not to take anything from Sony, they are doing phenomenal but this is great news for the platform

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but they probably wouldn't know if they had won because NPD for the period isn't out for subscribers to compare tallies against.

But what's the point in releasing the PR now then? If they were going to be the top seller wouldn't they have waited for NPD?

The Gears bundle is essentially 3.5 free games though, isn't it?

Change in value perception.

Last year's AssCreed deal was seen to be of absurdly good value since it bundled two big games for free, whereas Sony was selling vanilla PS4 for 399.

Before AssCreed, Xbox bundles with one game was 399.

Fast forward to 2015? Multi-game bundles at low price points are more common now.

Top Bottom