• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There’s Nothing Xbox Can Do to Close Gap Between PS4, Says Pachter

Pachter was asked by Siftd.net user:
“At this point what can Microsoft do, if anything, to close the gap between the Xbox One and PS4?”

Pachter’s answer was simple: “Nothing.” At this point, two years into the console’s life cycle, Mr. Pachter believes there’s nothing the Xbox can do to catch up now. To support his claim, Pachter took a look back at how the PlayStation 2, Sony’s best-selling console, sold 170 million units while Microsoft’s best-selling console, the Xbox 360, sold just 80 million units in its lifetime. He points out that in Xbox history the best-selling platform only sold half as many units as PlayStation’s best-selling platform. “We should start every console cycle assuming Sony’s going to outsell Microsoft 2 to 1, because they have twice as many people who know what their console is and like.”
http://twinfinite.net/2015/12/theres-nothing-xbox-can-do-to-close-gap-between-ps4-says-pachter/
taken from rymuth

Theorry

I think so to. No way in this generation Xbox is gonna catch up anymore. Doesnt mean it isnt gonna sell very well. Offcourse it will. Think they just need to think about nex gen also. Just keep hitting the right buttons the rest of this generation. Lucky they have a good person in charge for that,

Unfortunately there's not that much to differentiate the box from Sony's latest iteration, so there's not a whole lot of strategies that Microsoft could employ to get the upper hand.

Microsoft could make Xbox Live free (or very cheap), but that would defeat the purpose of winning in their eyes. It's probably the main reason why they don't mind the current state of affairs, actually.

Pachter trying to get something right before the end of the year.

A reasonable New Year's Resolution.

I dunno, they seem to be handling backwards compatibility a hell of a lot better.

So they're closing the gap with the previous gen?
v92vM99.gif

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Well he's not wrong. The PS4, worldwide, has outsold (not shipped) the Xb1 3-1 at this point. More games are coming out for the PS4 (JRPG's, indies especially) and a lot of the XB1 exclusives aren't selling the way they did on the 360. It's probably best for Microsoft to support the XB1 the best they can and launch a new console sooner rather than later, and try to catch Sony by surprise.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
MS to come back and take the world by storm!

Jokes aside, yeah, its obvious at this point, that XB1 will never catch up.

How each dev is handling previous gen retro compatibility won't have any effect on the bigger picture of selling new games, for those who are angry.

Even if i'm a bit miffed, it was a bonus feature to begin with and not something i cared about to start over new games.

jelly

What a load of rubbish, don't believe a word he says. Always the opposite.

They beta tested in the future with 200 million users

Tecnniqe

Banned
So they're closing the gap with the previous gen?
v92vM99.gif

Well purchasing a new console to play old games seems pointless.

They should put more focus towards new games. Good games. Try and harvest the power the consoles have (or lack there of) and make something gorgeous out of it.

Percy

Banned
He's right. After Tomb Raider flopped nobody is going to give MS a major exclusive again and their single biggest franchise is nowhere near as popular asit once was, there's nothing they can do short of giving away their console.

evilr

Banned
I genuinely believe I know considerably more than Pachter about the gaming industry as a whole. I knew this 2 years ago.

Well purchasing a new console to play old games seems pointless.
That's basically the joke.

To be honest though (and I know this is probably just me), I would be more willing (hypothetically speaking) to go from 360 to XBO knowing that my 360 backlog is also playable by the XBO. I jumped ship from PS2 to PS3 because of BC (I have the MGS4 80 BC unit). I could still play my backlog and then I started buying/playing PS3 games as new things came along.

Top Bottom