• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Exec: Star Wars Battlefront designed for a wider audience

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-battlefront-may-lack-depth-ea-exec-admits/

"We had designed it to be a much more accessible product to a wide age group," Jorgensen said, noting that it's one of just a few teen-rated shooters on the market. "So, an eight-year-old could play with his father on the couch, as well as a teenager or 20-year-old could play the game and enjoy it. It is more accessible. And for the hardcore, it may not have the depth that they wanted in the game."

Whelp. That explains a lot.

I mean it certainly shows. Not saying thats a bad thing as I get the principal. Make it playable for everyone.

But man they reaaaaally pushed the shallow on it. Probably too much

Tak3n

Banned
well they did not do a good job....

As firstly it is a 16 rated game, and secondly my 8 year shows no interest

AndrewPL

I only played the beta/demo but thought it was fine.

If they did a dark forces style solo campaign with dlc it would be like a dream come true.

Com_Raven

Actually, no. He does not say that it lacks depth as a fact- he says that it might not have the depth that certain groups expected. That is quite the difference to me (Blake obviously has his PR down).

Kane1345

It is shallow but for me it's also really fun, so I'm quite happy with it. Just playing supremacy and TP till new content comes :)

Musolf815

It is shallow but for me it's also really fun, so I'm quite happy with it. Just playing supremacy and TP till new content comes :)

This is how I feel too, I could play supremacy for a long while, and the modes are even better for me when my friends are actually free and can get on mics.

BigLebowski-8YearOldsDude.jpg

Explains a lot.

Actually, no. He does not say that it lacks depth as a fact- he says that it might not have the depth that certain groups expected. That is quite the difference to me (Blake obviously has his PR down).

I changed the title of the first post, better this way? Maybe a mod can fix the thread title.

well they did not do a good job....

As firstly it is a 16 rated game, and secondly my 8 year shows no interest

Age rating means nothing, look at GTA games, rated 18 yet why someone other than a 13 year old kid who never touched a boob would want to play them I don't know.

Gizuko

The fact that some people think that "aimed at children" = "shallow or not enough depth" in this day an age baffles me.

Makes Splatoon's achievements even more obvious, so it's actually good in a way.

Smash Bros. is an example of a game that at an 8-year-old can play, but someone looking for an in-depth system can also have fun with. Battlefront is not. I don't hate the game or anything, but once you take away the Star Wars glamour of everything, there's not a very rich game underneath.

That's not a bad thing if you know what this game is going into it (and anyone who played the beta knew). There's nothing wrong with making a game accessible to a wide audience. Unlike some recent MP games, this is a game I would feel very good about playing with my kid.

Zader

Banned
But good game design would allow for both hardcore and casual audiences to be satisfied with the experience.

EA shouldn't have used the battlefront name if they wanted to completely abandon what the series originally set out to do

Koh

I'm down on battlefront's lack of content, but I don't understand the use of depth in this context. I see it often, but can't tease out what it is.

What does battlefield have that battlefront doesn't? What is considered depth?

Is it power ups compared to vehicles? If so are there more examples that can help me grasp the concept?

Genuine question.

Occam

Why aren't they selling it at a price befitting 8-year olds then?

Edit: That's a rethoric question.

First and foremost, the game appears to lack content, not depth. A pricepoint closer to the allowance of an 8-year old would indeed seem appropriate. I'll be waiting.

I don't see anything wrong with this, the original Battlefronts were accessible to younger gamers as well.

People like to romanticize the earlier games, (guilty of this myself) but the truth is, the reviews of the time also belittled the first games for being much simpler than other shooters on the market.

It's a fun game, and it's a great starting place for Dice, as they no doubt will take note of everyone's criticisms for the next Battlefront.

I'm down on battlefront's lack of content, but I don't understand the use of depth in this context. I see it often, but can't tease out what it is.

What does battlefield have that battlefront doesn't? What is considered depth?

Is it power ups compared to vehicles? If so are there more examples that can help me grasp the concept?

Genuine question.
No classes is the one I see complained about the most. Also the simplified progression system. Some people love their carrots on sticks.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Oh, but they did. EA is not dumb. When you were 8 years old, who bought your games? Your parents. So whether you are a kid or a parent you will always pay parent prices. That's how they get you.

But Star Wars!

Painguy

Nintendo designs games with 8-year olds in mind and they have way more depth. How often is an 8 year old parents gonna dish out $120 for a single video game? This is a silly excuse.

Haunted

Explains why most of the GB staff kinda bounced off it while Dan kept playing for over 10 hours.

Because 8 year olds don't buy games, they get their parents to buy them.

Makes sense to design a multiplayer shooter (without raids) for what i feel making up a majority of the CoD-playerbase ... kids and teens, who apparently all had something with my mother. (On a side node, this is why i don't see the lack of voice chat in Nintendo games as a problem...)

Still, i like the game. The arcade-ish gameplay and being easily accessible means it's perfect for a couple of matches after some long work days ... at least when i'm not in the mood for digging into Xenoblade or Fallout 4.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I like it, I think I'm more patient than most because I'm relatively casual these days having avoided hardcore gaming for a while, but I think I'm done soon. Cool game, no legs.

Tak3n

Banned

have you met Skylanders etc...

horrendous for us parents, when I look in our games room, my heart drops when I see how much we spent over the years on Skylanders...£50 base game, £15 for each new character...

it is obvious why it is Activisions biggest money maker

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Gemüsepizza;188386433 said:
I changed the title of the first post, better this way? Maybe a mod can fix the thread title.

The article still does not say what you put in the thread title, but you might have a career in journalism ahead of you ;).

KingBroly

Banned
The ESA's gonna have a field day with this quote.

It also sounds like they're not happy with sales thus far and are coming up with excuses.

Top Bottom