• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG: OLED laptop/computer monitors are coming, burn-in solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That's the sound of my rigid penis hitting my chin.

According to ETNews, LG display aims to start producing OLED panels for computer monitors and laptops. LG wants to diversify their OLED product lineup, and this seems like a logical next step. ETNws estimates that the first monitors will be released in 2016 or 2017.

LG Display is currently focused to solve the burn-in problem inherent with OLEDs which is a problem with monitors. LG also sees blurred-images on their OLEDs when used with different image sizes and monitor frequencies and has to solve that as well. LGD will first produce monitor panels and notebooks will come next as prices will have to be lower for that market segment.

Per ET News.

LG Display’s OLED panel will surpass TV and Smartphone and enter monitor markets because it was able to solve OLED panel’s chronic problem regarding deterioration of pixel (Burn in).

Monitor that has OLED panel will appear at CES (Consumer Electronics Show) that will be held in January of 2016 and will increase possibility of expansion of OLED markets.
According to industries on the 3rd, LG Display is putting all of its capabilities into developing OLED panels for monitors. OLED panels are usually chosen for large TVs and small-sized Smartphones. Until now it has been prohibited to use OLED panels for monitors due to burn in phenomena, which is when afterimage of previous image is left when a channel is switched. This is same logic as when a broadcasting log that is located at top left of screen does not go away immediately but leaves trace when a person switches a screen after watching a screen for certain period of time. Monitor is weak against burn in phenomena because it is used with PC and has higher frequency of exposing fixed screen than TVs.

Industries are seeing that OLED monitors will expand mostly for broadcasting and medical monitors for experts because it will be a high-added value product and will be more useful for experts rather than normal users since it displays more advantages on large screens. It seems that this will serve as an opportunity where OLED display will expand from TV and Smartphone markets towards monitor and laptop markets.

Ready your wallets, GAF.

Tablo

#dead
this is also how i feel
619224deadmonkey.gif

Now this is great news. Was waiting for this to happen before buying a new monitor. Glad LG is really stepping it up these last two years. They're doing amazing things.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
$10k at launch
some will argue it would be worth it LOL

YOU ARE NOT THE BOSS OF ME

The good news (for me, at least) is that it looks like we won't get the first SKUs until late 2016 at the earliest, so that means I can purchase a Surface 4 Pro now and crush it for a good couple of years so fifth generation is unveiled with an OLED display (assuming price doesn't get too rich even for Microsoft).

Espada

Damn, this is great news. OLEDs look absolutely stunning, just their black levels alone compared to LCD are phenomenal.

Have they solved the issue with blue LEDs decaying faster than the other two? I remember yellowed OLED screens being a chronic issue for a long time.

YOU ARE NOT THE BOSS OF ME

The good news (for me, at least) is that it looks like we won't get the first SKUs until late 2016 at the earliest, so that means I can purchase a Surface 4 Pro now and crush it for a good couple of years so fifth generation is unveiled with an OLED display (assuming price doesn't get too rich even for Microsoft).

You joining the Surface club bro?

Book reporting in.

Sinfamy

Anything above 1080p on a laptop is counter intuitive.
The GPUs are weak and can't handle it, terrible on battery and horrible scaling.
OLED is welcome though.

Rosur

OLED monitors would be a nice upgrade over my LED ones :) also didn't realise OLED had burn in like Plasma (but then they've been to expensive to look into for me).

I have a 60 inch LG Plasma TV. In fact its what I use as my main monitor. When I got this in 2010, the myth about burn-in with Plasma still existed. While I've been happy with the TV, the image retention is incredible annoying.

Ghosting, Image retention, viewing angles. These are super important to fix, and in the case of laptops- low power is paramount. IGZO displays have low powers but they are not the best IPS.
The other thing is the matte/glossy thing.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It'll be years before any of this is affordable anyway.

OLED tech is going to become affordable very quickly, specially with LG banking big on it.

It's not just TVs, but computer monitors, tablet and phone displays, videowall setups, commercial displays, car lights... OLED tech is going to reach places that LCD couldn't even dream and bring the costs down for all of us.

brawly

Will only upgrade if iiyama follow suit. Haven't used better monitors for consoles yet and I'm happy with my IPS model.

chrizzz09

Well, so there goes my plan of buying a monitor for my Retina MacBook for Christmas.
Guess I have to wait for next year now...

...as long as it doesn't cost as much as new laptop …which is probably going to happen :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom