• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt hiring for more small scale Unity games, ramping up AAA multiplayer staff

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So you may remember that a few years back, CD Projekt decided to start experimenting with some smaller projects (The Witcher Board Game, The Witcher MOBA) and also starting hiring one or two people to make the RED Engine multiplayer capable in case they decided to add it to Cyberpunk.

Well, it seems they were happy with both of those initiatives.

For Unity:
http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/senior-unity-developer/
http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/multiplayer-server-programmer/
- Note: I realize one of these lists The Witcher Battle Arena directly, but the text makes it clear it's to support multiple distinct Unity projects.
As the Senior Unity Developer you will work with client-side and server-side programmers to make multi-platform games. You will be responsible for directing junior developers, in addition you will design and implement architecture for new games and develop best practices for the team. He/she will work with other disciplines to make incredibly high quality small scale games for mobile and other platforms.

Launched one or more titles on iOS, Android or Steam
Note: This is a Unity job and presumably related to the smaller games.

The Network and multiplayer programmer will be responsible for assisting in the creation of multiplayer solutions for multiple products at CD PROJEKT RED. You will work directly on the development of multiple titles as a part of the programming team. You will also work in cooperation with our partners at GOG to develop multiplayer, matchmaking, ranking and other network services.

Experience in game development with Unity.
Familiarity with existing Unity networking solutions.

AAA multiplayer positions:
http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/senior-multiplayer-designer/
http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/network-architect/
We are looking for a Senior Multiplayer Designer who would help us design the highest quality multiplayer experience of our games. You would act as an architect of multiplayer gameplay features and would be strongly involved in implementation process.

CD PROJEKT RED combines work in a dynamic and highly creative environment with the possibility to directly influence development of critically acclaimed AAA video games. If you are able to communicate with people as efficiently as you do with your computer, join us!

- Designing, setting up and tuning of multiplayer systems from high concept to implementation and scripting.
- Designing and implementing intuitive and compelling systems ranging from player enhancement to balancing of skills, weapons and other systems.
- Prototyping and improving all multiplayer systems.
- At least one AAA title shipped with MP components.
- Very strong problem solving ability with a focus on multiplayer systems and multiplayer level layout.
CD PROJEKT RED is looking for an experienced multiplayer programmer to work in our core team. Your main responsibility will be to prepare our engine for challenges of upcoming online component of our future games. You will lead our studio through necessary steps to adapt to the new tasks and different way of thinking where necessary.

- Creating a roadmap of changes necessary to add multiplayer to the Red Engine.
- Designing and implementing network layer of the Red Engine.

Lunar15

I'd love to see them put out smaller games. They're a talented studio.

The idea of multiplayer in Cyberpunk is both intriguing and potentially worrying.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The idea of multiplayer in Cyberpunk is both intriguing and potentially worrying.

Well, if you consider that it's based off of a tabletop games, those tend to be inherently multiplayer unless it's just you and the DM, so it's a relatively natural fit for the IP.

Online matchmaking for the Gwent standalone obvs
While I can't find any evidence they're making this, I'd be surprised if it wasn't one of the smaller projects.

hawk2025

I don't know, man.

(Good) Multiplayer is about expertly balancing and fine-tuning the minutea of every mechanic and making it all cohesive, smooth, gelled.

I... don'tthink that's their comparative advantage.

Good that they are hiring people specifically for that, then, I suppose.

Lunar15

Well, if you consider that it's based off of a tabletop games, those tend to be inherently multiplayer unless it's just you and the DM, so it's a relatively natural fit for the IP.

It fits in the universe, but my brain still can't wrap my head around what a CDPR Cyberpunk is because the only thing I know them for right now is Witcher, a heavily story based, single-player RPG.

I know we can assume that Cyberpunk is more action based, what with them already focusing on guns in the early promotion, but it still feels weird to think of them doing multiplayer at this point (beyond their moba and TCG, that is) My brain just kinda goes to a multiplayer FPS when I think about the combo.

Hmm. With the amount of time W3 took, granted I assume a large chunk of that was getting the game going on consoles, I am slightly afraid of a mutiplayer portion of Cyberpunk pushing the release date even further back. I mean optimistically, right now, we're looking at 18/19. I really don't that slipping to 20/21.

Shit, at this rate Cyberpunk might be Next gen exclusive.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Standalone multiplayer Gwent game/app for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.

Maybe co-op or multiplayer (or Souls-like interactions) for Cyberpunk?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You missed an important clue: the Unity job opening has tags: Code, Warsaw, The Witcher Battle Arena

Yes, that's one of the projects covered by the job, but the text makes it clear that they're in support of multiple Unity projects. I'll add a note to the OP.

It fits in the universe, but my brain still can't wrap my head around what a CDPR Cyberpunk is because the only thing I know them for right now is Witcher, a heavily story based, single-player RPG.
It'll also be weird to have a CDPR game with character creation.

JustinBB7

That first bit does sound like Gwent (mostly because of the ios/android stuff) god I hope that's true.

I found out they removed a fan made Gwent that worked online. Hopefully because they are making their own.

Vinc

I wish they would confirm cyberpunk is coming to consoles. Im dying for more info on that. Im interested in these smaller games though. Give me a real life gwent board game too please!

Denton

I frankly wish they would not bother with multiplayer in their main games at all. Sure make some Gwent or something, but don't put MP into Cyberpunk :(
Never not even once did I wish someone else would be running around in the world while playing Witcher 3 and it will by the same with Cyberpunk. Make singleplayer as possibly good as it can be.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
There is a Witcher MOBA?? How on earth did I miss this?

Just googled it...and looks like I completely missed it. They are shutting it down? Why? I would have dropped so many damn hours into that as well.

I frankly wish they would not bother with multiplayer in their main games at all. Sure make some Gwent or something, but don't put MP into Cyberpunk :(
Never not even once did I wish someone else would be running around in the world while playing Witcher 3 and it will by the same with Cyberpunk. Make singleplayer as possibly good as it can be.
Ever since they've posted these listings I've always assumed MP would be a separate mode from the SP. Hopefully CDPR knows their strengths lie in storytelling and role playing, both aspects that shine in SP as opposed to MP.

erawsd

Yeah, I'm kinda on the same page as you. If they do do it then I'm hoping its co op instead of competitive multiplayer.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I feel multiplayer in Cyberpunk is probably well and truly on the cards, in part due to its source material (table top RPG), and also because for all we know CDPR want to explore new ideas. I'm sure there will be a lot of crossover in conception, but I also think it does CDPR a disservice to maybe assume Cyberpunk is basically going to be The Witcher 3: Cyberpunk and not too introducing many of its own ideas and gameplay concepts not at all present in the Wild Hunt formula. And that may include multiplayer in some form.

I'm still banking on stand alone Gwent, too.

T.E.D

Banned
I feel multiplayer in Cyberpunk is probably well and truly on the cards, in part due to its source material (table top RPG), and also because for all we know CDPR want to explore new ideas. I'm sure there will be a lot of crossover in conception, but I also think it does CDPR a disservice to maybe assume Cyberpunk is basically going to be The Witcher 3: Cyberpunk and not too introducing many of its own ideas and gameplay concepts not at all present in the Wild Hunt formula. And that may include multiplayer in some form.

I just want The Witcher set in a dystopian, sci-fi future. Nothing more.

AerialAir

Banned

This. Don't take away that Witcher 3-like single-player experience in favor of a slightly more MP focused game.

Corpsepyre

Banned
This greatly worries me. I don't want them to MP-up Cyberpunk or any future Witcher games. A MOBA Witcher scares the shit out of me.

Denton

Oh I don't think Cyberpunk will be just Witcher 3 in different setting. I actually expect it to have overall design closer to something like New Vegas, but probably with more cinematic style quest design closer to TW3. I still wish they wouldn't waste time with multiplayer though, since from my selfish perspective that's just sunken time and resources for something I am not going to be using.

Top Bottom