• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim/small, well-designed PC cases for a Windows/Steam "console"

Maybe this isn't directly gaming-related, but I plan to use this for a gaming PC, so whatever.

I want to find a PC case that reminds me of Japanese console design - from any era. I hate the current school of full-sized tower design with blue or red LEDs and big tough grilles and roll bars everywhere.

Apparently In Win makes cases specifically for the Japanese market and doesn't sell them overseas, which is weird, but whatever. I sort of like some of these:

X68000-inspired Mini-ITX case (prototype only):

1_s.png

In Win:

Dirac:

Rosewill - more Mac inspired, but nice:

Does anybody have experience with cases like these, or favorites/recommendations?

I had an InWin a long, long time ago (2009-2011?). Loved it, but when the PSU conked out and took my GPU with it, It took a really long time for me to find another slim PSU that fit at a decent price .

(Mine came with a PSU, that I guess was custom-fitted for the case. I now refuse to buy nonstandard cases)

I really like the 3rd InWin posted and the Rosewill. Gonna do research *subs*

Odrion

Banned
People are going to recommend the RVZ02 Raven and I'm going to go ahead and say Fuck No to that because Silverstone decided to have the GPU (and it's source for air), in the horizontal position, face the the bottom of the case and with it's included feet it's only 0.5 inches off the ground. So there's no room for air for your GPU, increasing it's temp by like 12~15c, very likely throttling the GPU and dropping it's performance / lifespan along with making the fans run loud.

I tried to make my own custom feet to increase it's height off the ground and even at like 1.5 inches it still went up to 85c. At two inches it just looks stupid.

It's a case meant for the vertical position. But even Microsoft didn't even bother that position with the Xbone because at that size it just looks like a computer tower.

ilib0y

Neo Member
The one I've been eyeing off for quite some time is the Silverstone Raven. There is the RVZ01 and RVZ02.

RVZ01
rvz01-34.jpg

RVZ02
rvz02-34-2.jpg

Both are Mini-ITX and I think would make an awesome lounge room gaming/HT PC hooked up to a TV. I just haven't been able to justify spending money on another gaming device at this time.

hodgy100

Make sure any non standard case like these come with a decent PSU (or you buy a decent one). That's by far the most important aspect to consider when buying one if these.

Eventually when I built a mini-ITX (when I have a living room to actually do this) I will buy this or something similar.

k2-_29623644-cb86-4c0b-b106-89627109f863.v1.jpg

I'm not one for "out there" designs on my computers. I like simple and clean stuff.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/37545196?...49878929&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=87857173209&veh=sem

It's kind of fat but yea. That's OK. I prefer it over designs that stand out (I hate glossy stuff or distracting designs on my computers that most PC cases seem to have, don't understand why tbh).

It would fit next to a sound system or off to the side of a TV anyway.

People are going to recommend the RVZ02 Raven and I'm going to go ahead and say Fuck No to that because Silverstone decided to have the GPU (and it's source for air), in the horizontal position, face the the bottom of the case and it will increase your GPU's temp by like 12~15c, very likely throttling the GPU.

I tried to make my own custom feet to increase it's height off the ground and even at like 1.5 inches it still went up to 85c. At two inches it just looks stupid.

what gpu were you using? This seems really unusual.

Odrion

Banned
what gpu were you using? This seems really unusual.
970. No it's not. It was a known issue with the RZV01 and Silverstone didn't bother correcting it.

Read up on thermal benchmarks for the cases and they'll echo my post.

edit: I'll reccomend the Silverstone's SG13. It is small as a case can be that'll fit a ATX and a normal sized graphics card and it's fairly compact damn compact, I can easily fit it in my backpack. It's made for AIO CPU Coolers but you can air cool it by converting your CPU's air fan into a blower (if possible) and have your PSU be the exhaust fan.

what kind of case has roll bars ?

The Antec Dark Fleet line had some weird ass 'handlebars' along the entire front access panel. It made no goddamn sense and they were so flimsy, I can't imagine them lasting a year without breaking in some way.

here, look:

pNWIfAB.jpg

It's a great case! Except for all that pointless plastic in the front that doubles the amount of dust that settles in front of your fans/drives/etc and looks like crap.

Yudoken

My picks would be
Silverstone ML08B HTPC Case

ihPHwc0.jpg

(even allows for a 3,5 zoll hdd if you want to)

and

DAN CASES A4-SFX

Dan-Cases-A4-SFX-18.jpg

Also an air 240 is a nice case but does not really fit in the category ''console like'' case.
It should be at least an ITX case.

I like my Silverstone SG10 but it's not a console case so maybe we shouldn't post cases like that.
Keep the cases small and tight. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Silverstone FT-03 Mini is high on my short list for my next build

skkJGIo.jpg

Goals are:
Small
Quad core i5
Pci-e SSD (950 Pro, for example)
6" video card (gtx 970)
Quiet as shit

KennyL

In addition to the Raven mini itx cases, there's also the non-Raven Milo variants.

Here's the ml07

silverstone-milo-ml07-mini-itx-case,P-I-435078-13.jpg

I have this. It's much bigger and bulkier than I expected from looking at the pictures. Material quality is not great. I won't have bought it if I saw it in person first.

hoy

Banned
i want something like this to but i want something with a handle so i can grab and go. do they sell generic straps for all these cases with a handle?

Top Bottom