• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Exec Says First Party Game Lineup Was “Not As Strong” in 2015

Speaking to GameSpot at a PlayStation 20th Anniversary event in Sydney, Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia, acknowledged that Sony have been focusing on third-party partnerships to promote PlayStation 4 during the end-of-year period.

“Games that have been released this year, from Destiny, Call of Duty, Star Wars -- most of them we have a collaboration with for additional content if you play on PlayStation 4, so we’re pretty confident with the way Christmas is going. The demand is strong." Ephraim said.

He added: "We have worked very closely with third parties this year because our first party lineup was not as a strong as we would have liked."

However, Ephraim was very optimistic about 2016: "Next year, our first party lineup looks incredible. You’ve got Street Fighter, Uncharted 4, No Man’s Sky, The Last Guardian, Gran Turismo. These are all exclusives, and two of them are new franchises."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-exec-says-first-party-game-lineup-was-/1100-6433067/

jwk94

People have been saying this for the longest time. And what exactly is going on with GT? I thought Sport wasn't a Prologue or sequel?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Their third party console exclusives for 2016 are pretty good and well worth it for me personally speaking.

But i can understand why people would look for first parties, so i'm glad they are acknowledging that aspect for the future. 2016 looks to be far better than 2015, even though if you look down the list, they had plenty this year as well

DocSeuss

He was right. The only great Playstation exclusive I've played in the past five years or so has been Until Dawn, which I adore so hard you'd think it was some sort of puppy.

Street Fighter and No Man's Sky are not exclusives.

Hugstable

Banned
Yeah next year looks incredible. UC4, possible new GT and Last Guardian would be great for me. Still not sold on Horizon, want to see more of the gameplay.

though this line
However, Ephraim was very optimistic about 2016: "Next year, our first party lineup looks incredible. You’ve got Street Fighter, Uncharted 4, No Man’s Sky, The Last Guardian, Gran Turismo. These are all exclusives, and two of them are new franchises."

Wouldn't Street Fighter still be a third party game, just an exclusive? I have no clue how that all works.

He was right. The only great Playstation exclusive I've played in the past five years or so has been Until Dawn, which I adore so hard you'd think it was some sort of puppy.

lol damn this makes me want to play this game sooner. Just got it during Black Friday.

DocSeuss

Yeah next year looks incredible. UC4, possible new GT and Last Guardian would be great for me. Still not sold on Horizon, want to see more of the gameplay.

though this line

Wouldn't Street Fighter still be a third party game, just an exclusive? I have no clue how that all works.

I think he means 'console exclusive,' just like No Man's Sky.

I won't believe Horizon is good until I play it, because Guerilla's track record so far is that everything they have made is terrible.

BPoole

It was a very weak year for Sony's first party. Did they have anything besides The Order 1866 and Until Dawn? Bloodborne was a third party exclusive

Street Fighter V coming to Xbox now? Shit I knew it was going to be a matter of time.

Until Dawn and Bloodborne were all I needed this year.

BB's technically not "first party", but in terms of exclusives at least.

Hubb

In 5 years? Damn, I've been pretty happy with Sony's output over that period of time.

watdaeff4

In your opinion. Bloodborne is fantastic in the majority view as well as The Last of Us to name a couple.

And regarding SF and NMS it's obvious they mean console exclusives

Until Dawn was pretty good but that was the only sony game i liked this year , well the order was ok

kinda struggling tbh

ah forgot about bloodborne, so two games but they were good

I get the impression that they don't consider PC a direct competitor.

Abriael

Banned
Considering that Andrew House said exactly the same back in September (or maybe even June), I'll chalk this as "not news."

The God

Is he seriously calling The Last Guardian "new" at this point?

And no Horizon 2016 drop?

I don't think he was trying to list off everything. He left out Gravity Rush 2 and Dreams as well.

edit: he also left out Ratchet & Clank.

Hugstable

Banned
I don't think he was trying to list off everything. He left out Gravity Rush 2 and Dreams as well.

awww yeah next year is Gravity Rush Remastered and hopefully Gravity Rush 2 gets localized as quickly as well. I'm gonna enjoy playing through Gravity Rush 1 again.

Dragon

Banned
It was a very weak year for Sony's first party. Did they have anything besides The Order 1866 and Until Dawn? Bloodborne was a third party exclusive

Bloodborne was a collaboration between SCEJ and FROM. Wouldn't label it a third party exclusive per se. But regardless, everyone forgets MLB every year.

lol. Trolling or just dumb? I can't tell. In case it's the latter, then The Order and Until Dawn are as "third party" as Bloodborne (in that they're not third party at all because Sony funded and own all three).

Anyway, I got Bloodborne, Helldivers and Until Dawn (plus Tearaway Unfolded and the Uncharted Collection) from Sony this year, so it's a hell of a lot better than a lot of Sony's lineups over the years. Nowhere near as good as their 2016 lineup but then whose is?

AmuroChan

Sony published and owns the IP. So by definition it should be a 1st party title. That's also how Shuhei Yoshida defines first party.

In addition to those three, there're also Helldivers, MLB 15, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Super Stardust Ultra, Driveclub Bikes.

Zukkoyaki

Bloodborne may not have been developed internally but it's owned, funded, and published by Sony. It's a first party game.

If we went with that rationale then Smash Bros. Wii U, Forza Horizon 2, The Order 1886 (which you mentioned), Killer Instinct, and countless other games that get thrown around as first party aren't first party.

On topic, it was a very meh year for Sony games. I only liked Bloodborne, Until Dawn, and Helldivers; though I still plan to check out Rapture at some point. 2016 is primed to beat that in the first half alone with Uncharted, Ratchet, MLB, Alienation, etc.

SarusGray

Besides bloodborne, the only other exclusives I bought that was hardly advertised was Disgaea 5 (Amazing game btw), Omega Quintet (ridiculously funny) and Sword Art Online for PS4. They should've made a commercial for those three haha.

But no really I've only bought these four games for my PS4 physically. O almost forgot Until Dawn, that was incredibly fun and scary with the family. Yeah 2016 bring it on!

My baby Aloy better be confirmed for 2016 or else I'm going to kill a fly.
tumblr_nq0s6zGqNs1u05f4ho2_500.gif

knitoe

You don't need 1st party when you have generally the best 3rd party version. Microsoft milked it well with the X360.

Unison

They apologized in advance, as I remember, and that was back when No Man's Sky was still confirmed for 2015.

Next year should rectify that. Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian and Gran Turismo Sport is a ridiculous first party lineup. Add in SFV, Persona 5, No Man's Sky and NieR Automata... holy shit!

Trojan

VR development making Sony's traditional PS4 games lineup look anemic. Hopefully their strategy bears more fruit in 2016, because there are a lot of Sony studios that haven't shown their full hand yet.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
You don't need 1st party when you have generally the best 3rd party version. Microsoft milked it well with the X360.
Well, we except a great first party output from Sony always. And them to continue pushing boundaries. Next year looks like they'll pick it back up.

Top Bottom