• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Squad threatens to take down PSN and Xbox Live this Christmas

MauroNL

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11561427

Hackers have threatened to ruin Christmas for gamers hoping to spend time playing ever-popular Xboxes and PlayStations for the second year running.

The anonymous threat comes from a group known as the Phantom Squad who have posted a tweet in recent days announcing plans to disrupt Xbox live and PSN networks for a week this Christmas.

Last year a similar hack, by a group called the Lizard Squad, lasted three days over Christmas.

It was brought to an end thanks to a deal brokered by internet mogul Kim Dotcom.

Desperate to play his favourite game Destiny Mr Dotcom offered the hackers a lifetime worth of premium Mega vouchers to end the cyber attack.

But just 12 months later a similar action to take the ever-popular Christmas gift off-line looms.

"We are going to shut down PSN and XBox Live on Christmas. And we are going to keep them down for one week straight," it posted on twitter.

The squad tweeted they chose to taken down PSN and Xbox Live because cyber security did not exist.

This has been roundly condemned by gamers and Dotcom today tweeted he would be more than upset if Sony and Microsoft had not taken necessary steps to upgrade networks from last year.

"Warning @Sony & @Microsoft. You had 1 year to upgrade your networks. If Lizard Squad takes down PSN & XBOX this Xmas, we'll be pissed! " he posted.

Mr Dotcom said if the online games were hacked it would entirely be the tech company's fault as they had been given plenty of time to prepare for a repeat attack.

"I managed to strike a deal with the hackers last year to stop the attack. I doubt I will be able to do it again. I bought Sony and Microsoft time to upgrade their networks. Let's hope they used that time wisely."

A spokesman for Xbox NZ declined to comment. Sony did not respond to requests for comment.
But why though?!

Quonny

Mr Dotcom said if the online games were hacked it would entirely be the tech company's fault as they had been given plenty of time to prepare for a repeat attack.

"I managed to strike a deal with the hackers last year to stop the attack. I doubt I will be able to do it again. I bought Sony and Microsoft time to upgrade their networks. Let's hope they used that time wisely."

Get over yourself bruh.

Tizoc

Helps to have some offline playable games on your PS4 and X1 to be on the safe side.
Based off last year it seems like most PS4 owners only had online MP games or something.

Don't care, I can take a break from online gaming.
Got a stack of backlogged single player games, physical copies ftw.
Do your worst, basement dwellers.

Because some morons get off on making other people miserable. They probably feel like everything in their lives is out of control, so by sticking it to these networks, they'll be able to "control" something. It's pathetic.

I agree with them about Sony and Microsoft needing more security, but not with trying to brute force the networks down as a test of that security

Hanmik

The "Gift" that keeps on giving..

please... just let me enjoy gaming.. take down Nintendo's network.. or.. what... just go to sleep.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Merry Christmas everybody

Dicer

Banned
Sad losers that have to ruin it for others, oh well. Good thing they don't fuck with Wii U, it'll be where my online gaming is gonna happen...

Unless they read this and add it to the list, shit!

Drencrom

Didn't the lizard people get arrested? Why the fuck would any sane person put themselves in a position where they will eventually get locked up for years and have massive fines just to be an asshole and stop people from playing games?

S3TnCQt.gif

Bowler

Punished lizard, phantom pain, Solid suicide

LOOK WE FUCKING GET THAT U DIDN'T LIKE METAL GEAR. move onto trump already, and hack that shit

Top Bottom