• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Fitness update - now playable without Kinect, downloadable exercises

MauroNL

https://microsoftstudios.com/2015/12/15/xbox-fitness-update-new-features-now-available/
Xbox Fitness now allows you to experience the world’s best workouts with or without Kinect on Xbox One.* With over 140 workouts right at your fingertips, you can choose to find balance with the new YO:30 for Xbox Fitness yoga program, hit it hard with the ever-popular MOSSA Fight workouts, or explore one of the many other workouts available!

With the latest Xbox Fitness update, you also now have the ability download your purchased workouts! This new update ensures you’re playing your favorite workouts with the highest quality available, with less reliance on your internet connection variability.

To download your favorite owned workouts, head to the program’s details page, click the “Content Options” button, and click “Download” to download all the workouts in the program. The icon with a cloud and play button indicates the workout is currently available via streaming. Once you’ve downloaded content to your console, the icon in the lower right-hand corner of the downloaded video’s tile will change to a console icon and a play button. The description in the Content Options screen will also indicate whether or not the content has been downloaded.

Xbox Fitness is a service that constantly innovates to bring you new features and content. Stay tuned for more workouts and programs from some of the world’s best fitness experts, only on Xbox One, and explore the many options available now in the Xbox Fitness section of the Xbox store.

Xbox Fitness is free to download and offers over 30 workouts free to Xbox Live Gold users.

For more information on Xbox Fitness, visit http://www.xbox.com/xboxfitness

*A Kinect sensor is not required to play Xbox Fitness. For an optimized experience, using Xbox Fitness with an Xbox One Kinect sensor is recommended. Advanced features, such as Muscle Mapping, Pulse, and feedback on your form, are available only to those with an Xbox One Kinect sensor.

Pretty cool. Will be interesting to see how it works without Kinect. I guess you're basicly watching a video without feedback but still, there is a decent amount of free workouts.

With the latest Xbox Fitness update, you also now have the ability download your purchased workouts! This new update ensures you’re playing your favorite workouts with the highest quality available, with less reliance on your internet connection variability.
Awesome news, would suck if the stream was struggling midworkout.

So pumped to be able to dl my workouts

I wonder if it will record FP without kinect? Or it will literally just the same experience as playing along to a workout video... I literally just purchased another kinect so I could get this in the living room.

It's a great service that I use regularly but I don't quite know if it will have the same hook as it does without kinect but that remains to be seen.

oti

Banned
It's the holiday season, people want to get fit but nobody wants the trash that is Kinect. (I own one. It's trash.) Makes sense. I guess the only thing that keeps one from just getting the DVDs are the Xbox achievements. If that's what motivates one to do the workouts then I'm all for it.

BTW: Fitness and Shape Up were the two reasons I got a Kinect for. And I don't regret it. Beating your former self in Shape Up is amazing motivation.

Chris1

Cool, the few times I tried to test Fitness out my kinect just kept disconnecting so I gave up. Might give it a try now.

Cleve

...how?

also this is stil a thing? thought support for it was dropped back in 2014ish.

Kinect support was pretty mediocre for this honestly. It checked your heart rate, but that was about it. It's just a streaming internet workout video.

The Nike kinect 1 package was better as it actually attempted to monitor your form. After trying that out I was really excited for using kinect 2.0 for fitness. It does an okay job of turning working out in to a game/points if that works for you but it falls short of what it could be. I just went back to running when it's not too cold out.

ShogunX

I tried the Insanity (I think) back when this launched and nearly fucking died. It's no wonder this didn't push sales because fat bastard gamers like me just aren't cut out for it!

Cleve

I tried the Insanity (I think) back when this launched and nearly fucking died. It's no wonder this didn't push sales because fat bastard gamers like me just aren't cut out for it!

There's plenty of lower intensity exercises plans on it too. You jumped in at the deep end.

Robcat

Banned
I didn't even know that the workouts were streaming but that's because I'm lazy and haven't been doing them enough.

Kinect support was pretty mediocre for this honestly. It checked your heart rate, but that was about it. It's just a streaming internet workout video.

The Nike kinect 1 package was better as it actually attempted to monitor your form. After trying that out I was really excited for using kinect 2.0 for fitness. It does an okay job of turning working out in to a game/points if that works for you but it falls short of what it could be. I just went back to running when it's not too cold out.

Not sure what workouts you tried in XF, but it does monitor your form.

Alx

...how?

also this is stil a thing? thought support for it was dropped back in 2014ish.

Support never dropped, they released a new yoga workout last month, and an "extreme combat" one the month before.
Downloading the workouts is good, there's nothing more annoying than having the video buffer in the middle of a move. Not sure there is a point in a kinectless mode though, that would just be like watching videos on youtube indeed. Hopefully that wouldn't grant FP and medals, or it would just be cheating.

Cleve

Not sure what workouts you tried in XF, but it does monitor your form.

True, it does display your outline, maybe what I should have said is it never attempts to correct your form, as the video is streamed and static. The Nike package on 360 would specifically call you out if your knees weren't high enough, or you didn't keep your back straight, as well as comment once you fixed it. The XF stuff just deducts points and maybe shows the area it didn't register properly in red which can be hard to keep an eye on when you're moving and watching the middle of the instructor. It's just not nearly as good an experience. Given all the hype, I was really let down.

Kolgar

Great news. Xbox Fitness is an excellent free app and this is perfect for people without a Kinect (or room for one).

Also happy to be able to download my workouts for more reliable play on my local drive.

Glad to see Microsoft keep improving.

True, it does display your outline, maybe what I should have said is it never attempts to correct your form, as the video is streamed and static. The Nike package on 360 would specifically call you out if your knees weren't high enough, or you didn't keep your back straight, as well as comment once you fixed it. The XF stuff just deducts points and maybe shows the area it didn't register properly in red which can be hard to keep an eye on when you're moving and watching the middle of the instructor. It's just not nearly as good an experience. Given all the hype, I was really let down.

It does this as well. I mainly use the Mossa workouts and it displays messages if my punches aren't hard, need to lift my knees higher, etc. It's pretty easy to tell if you're in form, as the meter will be green and you'll see your score adding up if you're performing the routine well.

Alx

It does this as well. I mainly use the Mossa workouts and it displays messages if my punches aren't hard, need to lift my knees higher, etc. It's pretty easy to tell if you're in form, as the meter will be green and you'll see your score adding up if you're performing the routine well.

Yes it's true for many other workouts too, you have the occasional message "go faster/slower, raise your knees, punch harder,...". The advice may not be always 100% on point though, and it doesn't appear for each move, but it's there.
I find it more useful to check the score gauge while doing the move, if it's not at full multiplier then it means I'm doing something wrong, and watching the coach usually gives me the answer.

EBE

cool update. downloading my exercises is welcome. i sometimes get buffering mid workout.
does it still take several minutes to load the app though? havent worked used it a week or two

Namikaze

I'm running out of reasons to keep my Kinect. At least Fantasia is fun!

The downloadable excersises will come in handy, Xbox fitness loads very slowly for me most of the time.

Alx

I'm running out of reasons to keep my Kinect. At least Fantasia is fun!

Yeah, recently it seems that MS is doing his best to kill it for good... it looks like they think it has become so toxic in some people eye that they have to actively remove everything that makes it useful (no gestures on dashboard, no IR in new controllers, kinectless fitness and dancing, ...).
It's really pissing me off to be honest, I was ok with a lukewarm or stalling support, but they could at least pretend there's a place for it on their console. It's a big mistake IMO, because doing so they remove all possibility for further relaunch of all those cool features.
(by the way, when the hell are they going to release Cortana on Xbox ? Are they killing that too ?)

Anyway as I said earlier, in that case it won't prevent me from still using kinect (really no point of doing it in front of a video, I could just memorize the workout and doing it with the console off).

Top Bottom