• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darrell Gallagher is leaving Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics gets new studio heads

Quentyn

As we continue to grow our studio and portfolio, we have some exciting news to share: Ron Rosenberg and Scot Amos have been named as co-studio heads for Crystal Dynamics. Scot and Ron each bring a unique skill set and each will focus on owning different aspects of running a studio, while ultimately making all major decisions together. Both seasoned Crystal Dynamics veterans, Ron and Scot took over a few months ago, and the transition has been seamless. Now that we have a bit of breathing room after the launch, we wanted to formally introduce them in their new role to all of you.

In other news, at the end of this year, Darrell Gallagher will be leaving Square Enix after more than 10 years with the company. Darrell has worked as Square Enix’s Head of Product Development and Western Studios, where he shepherded this year’s successful launches of Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara Croft Go, Life is Strange and Just Cause 3, and queued up major launches for next year, including Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Hitman. Prior to that, he was Crystal Dynamics’ Studio Head, where he led many projects including the reboot of Tomb Raider. Darrell has helped create so much incredible entertainment during his time with Square Enix, and we all thank him for his incredible contribution.

More on the Tomb Raider blog

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/135279174310/new-studio-leadership-hi-everyone-after-spending

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not too shocked.

Many studios tend to only work on one brand these days, so if you want to do anything else, you have to actually move studios.

If you bother to read the post it says the two new people were heading up the studio for a few months already so has nothin to do with sales

DeSolos

I read that as David Gallagher, former Seventh Heaven teen heartthrob, and voice of Riku in Kingdom Hearts. Never leave.

Oh yeah no surprise there after Rise of Tom Braider.

Amos and Rosenberg seem to have been in charge for a while, but unless my reading comprehension is really poor it looks like Darrell Gallagher's departure is new news (i.e. he seems to have announced his departure to the company today).

IvanJ

Banned
If you bother to read the post it says the two new people were heading up the studio for a few months already so has nothin to do with sales
If you bother to read the post, the guy who left was actually not the head of CD. That was his position a while back.
At the time of his departure, he was in charge of product development, overseeing the Demise of Tomb Raider.

Elios83

Called it.
He was (one of those) behind the deal.
Head rolled.

I'm shocked it's happening so soon.....not even waiting for next year....things must be ugly because of the TR bomba.

ItIsOkBro

That's the dude who told PS4 owners they weren't being left behind because Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris was coming out.

Steroyd

SE announced the exact duration of the ROTR exclusivity deal months before the game released which indicates SE weren't happy about the deal back then, the timing of everything is eerily suspicious.

RexNovis

Banned
Calling it right now. He either starts a new studio that is bankrolled completely by MS or gets a nice new cushy position at Microsoft studios.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Calling it right now. He either starts a new studio that is bankrolled completely by MS or gets a nice new cushy position at Microsoft studios.

Wouldn't be surprising.

Also, the people in this thread who think that he got fired: if you quit your job today, how much longer are you contractually obligated to stay on?

Toki767

If he ends up at Microsoft, all the Tomb Raider stuff will look shady as hell in hindsight. Not that it doesn't already.

Guy wants a change. It's never safe to assume something is happening because of gossip and drama.
The timing isn't exactly the best, it hints at a changing of the guards right when we're witnessing an exclusive deal ending very badly, somebody's head is supposed to roll and this guy is basically resigning, coincidence? Who knows.

IvanJ

Banned
Wouldn't be surprising.

Also, the people in this thread who think that he got fired: if you quit your job today, how much longer are you contractually obligated to stay on?

I would say a month is a reasonable time for contractual obligations.

Tomb Raider gets released on Nov. 10
UK Charts confirm a bomb on Nov. 15 (https://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=2275&s=1111)
He gets fired on Nov. 16 (since 15th was Sunday)

Announcement goes a month later.

Top Bottom