• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima's new game will be published by Sony, is also coming to PC, not Silent Hill

Thanks to Raven777 and J-Skee
Sony has revealed more details about Hideo Kojima's first game at his new independent studio, confirming that the title is also scheduled to launch on PC following its release on PS4.

While Sony is "not disclosing details" on how long the game's PS4 exclusivity will last, it says that the game "is planned to become available on PC (after PS4)", and that it will be a "console exclusive", meaning it won't ever arrive on Xbox One.

The game won't be linked to Metal Gear Solid or the cancelled Silent Hills, either, Sony says, instead being "something completely new". The game will be published by Sony Computer Entertainment who will "provide support [to the game's development] as necessary".

More from CM:
Q&A from EU Community manager for playstation

Q6. What other platforms will Kojima’s first independent title be available on, besides PS4?

The title is planned to become available on PC (after PS4).

https://twitter.com/PadPoet/status/677093870254096384

Lock if not necessary.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Not surprising since they will be publishing it. Looking forward to it.

Busty

Banned
Posted this in the official thread but it might be more at home in here. If Sony have agreed to publish this on the PC too I bet this is some kind of sprawling online warfare..., thing.

While, of course, it won't be Kojima's "when you die in the game you have to buy a new copy of the game" idea I can see it being heavily influenced by that 'mortal' thinking.

Something MGS esque but on the scale of Battlefield or even Planetside with 'dat Kojima touch' across the PS4 and PC platforms could be really exciting.

Can't blame Kojima for choosing to go with Sony - his games have a long history with PlayStation and they can probably provide funding and support in a way few Japanese publishers can right now.

But it's still 3+ years away and I would even wonder if it's going to make it on the PS4 before the successor launches. Might be better at this point to just aim for being an early PS5 release if it's going to be anything like 4 years in development.

Of course its not Silent hills. but loud mountains.

Please come off your high horse by calling the PC version the definitive. Not cool.

TimmiT

Here's the full Q&A where this comes from:
Kojima Productions Q&A

Q1. I heard that SCE has signed an agreement with Kojima Productions, a studio newly formed by Hideo Kojima. What are the specifics of the agreement?
Kojima Productions has agreed to develop its first software title as a console exclusive to PS4. We do not disclose further details.

Q2. When was the agreement signed?
We have announced immediately after the contract was signed, Wednesday, Dec 16, 2015.

Q3. Does this mean Kojima Productions now belongs under SCE WWS?
No, it is an independent studio.

Q4. Is SCE making an investment in Kojima Productions? What is the total cost of the agreement? Is it incorporated in the G&NS forecast? How much impact will this have to Sony's overall operating performance?
SCE is not investing in Kojima Productions. Cost of the contract is undisclosed. Cost is already incorporated. Impact is minimal.

Q5. Why is Kojima Productions bringing their very first software to PS4 as a console exclusive? How did it come about?
Kojima is an extremely creative and passionate game designer who has made countless contributions to PlayStation and the gaming industry. By having Kojima develop his first independent title to PS4, we believe that we can deliver completely new gaming experiences made possibly only by Kojima, to gaming fans worldwide. We are not disclosing further details on how this agreement was realized.

Q6. What other platforms will Kojima's first independent title be available on, besides PS4?
The title is planned to become available on PC (after PS4).

Q7. How long is the exclusivity?
We are not disclosing details.

Q8. Will Kojima's second title (and beyond) not be PlayStation console exclusives?
We announced an agreement regarding Kojima's first title, and SCE cannot comment on titles beyond that.

Q9. Does this have anything to do with Hideo Kojima not attending the PS Award on Dec 3?
Who will attend the PS Award ceremony is decided by the publisher and SCE cannot comment on anything further.

Q10. Will your relationship with Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. be affected by this agreement?
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. will remain one of SCE's most important publishers, and our relationship with them will not change.

In regards to the first title of Kojima Productions:

Q11. What will the first title be about?
It will be something completely new. We have nothing further to announce at this point in time.

Q12. Will the title have something to do with the METAL GEAR series?
No. It will be something completely new.
“METAL GEAR” is a title from Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

Q13. Will the title have something to do with the cancelled Silent Hills sequel?
No. It will be something completely new.
“Silent Hill” is a title from Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.

Q14. Are there any possibilities for the title to support PS VR?
We have nothing to announce at this point in time. We will announce further details of the title when ready.

Q15. Are there any possibilities for the title to become available on PS Vita?
We have nothing to announce at this point in time. We will announce further details of the title when ready.

Q16. When will the title become available? Will it be available worldwide?

Q17. Will SCE WWS and Kojima Productions develop the first title together?
The software title will be developed by Kojima Productions, but SCE will provide support as necessary.

Q18. Which company will publish the first title?
SCE will be the publisher.

Q19. Will the title's copyright belong to SCE?
We have nothing to announce at this point in time. We will announce further details when ready.

Q20. Will all future titles developed by Kojima Productions be released on PS4?
We announced an agreement regarding Kojima's first title, and SCE cannot comment on titles beyond that.

Q21. Will Kojima Productions develop titles for other platforms while working on the PS4 console exclusive title?

Q22. Are there any possibilities for the title to be released on the next generation platform?
Kojima Productions has agreed to bring their very first software to PS4 as a console exclusive. We do not disclose further details.

<KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS>

Q23. How many staff?
Details are not disclosed.

Q24. Is the studio headquartered in Japan? What is the address?
Yes, headquarter is in Japan. Address is not disclosed

Q25. Can you tell me further details of Kojima Productions?
Please contact Kojima Productions for further details.
https://medium.com/@PadPoet/sony-co...th-kojima-productions-1490ebd29c45#.xf7eamuml

Kojima must own the IP, since the only branch in SCE that seems willing to publish on other platforms is PlayStation Mobile.

Drencrom

Expected with it being console exclusive, it seems like will be timed tho from their wording

"is planned to become available on PC (after PS4)"

Strange that Sony supports the PC better than Microsoft.
Sony is in this interesting experimental space now, that's the vibe I got on that one interview from PSX where they talked about their new approach on F2P gaming and VR. They need to be ready to try new ways of doing business to stay relevant.

Let's say Kojima's game releases in 2019 or whatever, the push for hardcore gamers to move on to PS4 is long gone, releasing it on PC also will only mean another revenue stream for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes more common, possibly even for their first party stuff after a timed exclusivity period for some titles.

Of course I could be totally wrong about this and it was 100% Kojima pushing for a PC release.

Jinaar

Another "exclusive" console game coming to pc? What good is this miserable mound of PS4 of mine? Sell it for some blow, I guess. Sony is not really giving this consumer reason to keep it.

Thank gawd for pc.

Completely new IP. Amazing. Good news for PC users as well. Will he have a main character as cool as Snake is the real question here though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm still hoping it's a horror game.

Del Toro changing his tone in the last month or so about never doing video games again and Norman Reedus saying the Del Toro+Kojima+Him team dynamic "Needs to happen" in the last month as well gives me hope, that and this springing AS SOON as his contract expired.

Sakujou

Banned
so last gen people got angry when ms was moneyhatting certain projects, and this gen, people love sony for moneyhatting sf5 and this new thing.

am i missing something?

great to hear that kojima found a new home/found a new studio.

Top Bottom