• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revo K101+ (GBA hardware clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gonna ask how much it cost, but decided I might just inform the class. Apparently something around $69.99. Not bad.

Still more interested in GPD XD, but not bad.

Cool that it plays carts directly. My old "phat" DS still works technically, but my SP died a long time ago. My GBA original probably would still work if I put in batteries for it, but I preferred the SP for backlight, form factor, and the buttons/dpad including the triggers seemed better.

Wish GBA games had more than cardboard boxes to keep the cartridges in, I've kept all my DS boxes, but I just have the carts of my GB games. Guess when I was more young I didn't care as much/it didn't even cross my mind so I didn't protest if it was being thrown away. It means I dont have any of the original manuals for one.

I hope NX isn't totally digital, I like carts. Still, better to have a proper digital storefront than not to, I have only five physical Vita games not just because of the relative rarity of them but because there are so very many sales and PS+ games on offer for Vita.

Rich!

Theres a significant difference between this and the GPD. That's an android based emulation console, this is a pure hardware clone that works with legit Game Boy Advance cartridges and primarily aimed at GBA owners who want a new way to play their collection.

And besides, £45 with free shipping vs £120+.

Putosaure

Screen looks gorgeous, but I'd rather prefer it to be 1:1 resolution wise. I know that it allow the extra features like NES emulation and so on, but I'm not a fan of upscaling, especially on low res games like this.

Oh, and Rich!, what about battery life ?

wondermega

Hmm that is very interesting. If it could run SNES/Genesis as well this would be an instant buy for me, but as is it look very tempting. The case style, especially with the transparent plastic, is awfully horrendous looking however.

Sounds great but the non 1:1 scaling seems really unfortunate.

Is the 1:1 mode a tiny 240x160 image in the center of the screen, or is it pixel doubled to 480x320?

Rich!

Screen looks gorgeous, but I'd rather prefer it to be 1:1 resolution wise. I know that it allow the extra features like NES emulation and so on, but I'm not a fan of upscaling, especially on low res games like this.

Came with full battery, played through to third world of Yoshis Island, only one bar gone. Uses a standard Nokia battery, so great capacity and easily replaceable.

Sounds great but the non 1:1 scaling seems really unfortunate.

Is the 1:1 mode a tiny 240x160 image in the center of the screen, or is it pixel doubled to 480x320?

Small image 1:1. And there was no alternative with the screen, the GBA res is bizarre and unique.

GB Player has input lag? I wonder why that is, considering it has the actual GBA hardware built in, and the GameCube didn't suffer from any inherent lag with the video output that I'm aware of

Putosaure

Came with full battery, played through to third world of Yoshis Island, only one bar gone. Uses a standard Nokia battery, so great capacity and easily replaceable.

Yummy.
What about the size of the beast itself ? I can only see closeups and can't figure out what size it is.

EDIT : looks like it's a little bit bigger than a Micro ?

Rich!

Yummy.
What about the size of the beast itself ? I can only see closeups and can't figure out what size it is.

Well, I'm out off to the cinema to watch Star Wars again so can't do comparisons myself, but:

original.jpg

Also I did open the thing up yesterday and you can definitely make the shoulder buttons perfect if you add a bit of buffer to the inner side of each. I'll try it this weekend. But even then I'll likely just use X and Y.

And yeah the size is somewhere in between the Micro and OG GBA. It's ideal imo. Very comfortable to use.

MUnited83

For you.
Well, I'm out off to the cinema to watch Star Wars again so can't do comparisons myself, but:

original.jpg

Also I did open the thing up yesterday and you can definitely make the shoulder buttons perfect if you add a bit of buffer to the inner side of each. I'll try it this weekend.

Not much bigger? Awesome! I always wanted a Gameboy Micro but they are really hard to find at decent prices. This is only a little bigger and has quite a few advantages. Will order one, seems neat.

ash_ag

Looks quite nice, and the X/Y button placement is great for games like A Link to the Past (though I wish the buttons were actually labeled 'L/R' :p). Will definitely consider one of these in the future. I like physical GBA carts, and between that and the fact that many games will probably never reach the Virtual Console, it seems like a good investment.

GB Player has input lag? I wonder why that is, considering it has the actual GBA hardware built in, and the GameCube didn't suffer from any inherent lag with the video output that I'm aware of

Stock Game Boy Player software has numerous problems. Thankfully, if you have a way to load homebrew, the GB Player hardware is still very useful.

Rich!

Just regarding the first part of your post:

It's a GBA. The NES and GB emulation runs exactly as it does on the GBA. It uses the goombacolor and pocketnes emulators. The only reason for the chosen screen res is that you literally cannot get one that matches the GBA 1:1 sadly. They aren't produced anymore and Nintendo were the only ones to use that res for a screen iirc.

Fou-Lu

This is really, really cool. I want one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Do hardware clones like this exist of other (possibly obscure) handhelds/consoles?

Does it work with Gamecube link cables?

Rich!

Gba hardware clone that runs GG games?

Through an emulator. It's the same way you play it on the real GBA. Same for NES and GB.

These emulators work on all GBA models. The Revo just has native support for them so that you don't have to build the emulator multiROMs yourself.

Rich!

What's that D-Pad like?

OG GBA D-Pad is superb especially in the two King of Fighters and Street Fighter games.

It's far better than I thought it would be. Works fine in all directions and diagonals and is nice and responsive.

Prefer it to the small hard plastic one on my OG backlit GBA.

Rich!

Oh shit I have the Castlevanias. I need to try those and test the sound.

Aria is fucking amazing though, I've tried that. Remapping controls to B for jump, Y for weapon, A for soul move and X for backdash or whatever

It's too good. Sound is fine on that one as it doesn't use the DMG chip.

Oh shit I have the Castlevanias. I need to try those and test the sound.

Aria is fucking amazing though, I've tried that. Remapping controls to B for jump, Y for weapon, A for soul move and X for backdash or whatever

It's too good. Sound is fine on that one as it doesn't use the DMG chip.
Harmony of Dissonance was the one that used the GBC sound channels for music

http://youtu.be/MG5EzU2EZ5o

Rich, have you got FFVI to test? Wondering how the soundchip deals with it, every emulator I tried it on has made the background audio hiss much louder than the original copy on a normal GBA, but if this let's me run the colour + sound correction patch I may grab one. Also, can it apply apply an IPS patch when loading through a retail cart or does it need to be applied to a rom and loaded up onto the microSD card?

The Sonic Advance TASbot shown at SGDQ needed them to bypass the Gamecube controller and just use the controller pins on the GB Play GBA hardware board. I'll link to when they start talking about it:
https://youtu.be/09boPxw4nlY?t=9m45s
tl;dr. GBA and Gamecube have different refresh rates making sync impossible (display can drop or duplicate frames at random). Wonder why Nintendo didn't do a Super Game Boy and just speed things up slightly? Maybe the speeds are too close.

I remember looking at the old non plus version and discounting it. It will be interesting to see how your modded shoulder buttons turn out for playing things like fzero and mariokart.

At that price though screw it I'm ordering one.

Don't forget the other alternative is the GBA Micro (so long as you don't mind its eye wateringly small screen).

The Sonic Advance TASbot shown at SGDQ needed them to bypass the Gamecube controller and just use the controller pins on the GB Play GBA hardware board. I'll link to when they start talking about it:
https://youtu.be/09boPxw4nlY?t=9m45s
tl;dr. GBA and Gamecube have different refresh rates making sync impossible (display can drop or duplicate frames at random). Wonder why Nintendo didn't do a Super Game Boy and just speed things up slightly? Maybe the speeds are too close.

Some models of the GBplayer also have extra lag for some reason, either the add-on itself or the gamecube you own affects it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Don't forget GameBoy Interface - a replacement for GB Player software on GameCube. 240p support, better scaling in other modes, no input latency, and no more duplicate frames as a result of timing differences. It absoultey crushes the awful GB Player disc.

Rich!

Don't forget GameBoy Interface - a replacement for GB Player software on GameCube. 240p support, better scaling in other modes, no input latency, and no more duplicate frames as a result of timing differences. It absoultey crushes the awful GB Player disc.

Yep, with an RGB cable on a CRT and forced 240p its incredible.

The Game Boy Player has bad input lag? That doesn't make sense.

Also, I was lucky enough to get a Game Boy Micro for cheap a few years ago. Love that thing.

Peltz

GBI ULL allows for lag free GB Player in proper 240p. It's the ultimate way to play GBA and GBC games, especially if you have a good PVM + component cables.

GCN has outstanding IQ.

Danneee

Through an emulator. It's the same way you play it on the real GBA. Same for NES and GB.

These emulators work on all GBA models. The Revo just has native support for them so that you don't have to build the emulator multiROMs yourself.

Ah I see, I thought the gba wasn't powerful enough to emulate a Game Gear.

Where in the UK did you buy this from? I've seen them on Rose coloured gaming being done up.

Seconding this question, I think I'm gonna invest. I have shitloads of GBA carts.

With the emulator features am I able to save state in, say, SMS/GG games?

Rich!

Oh, also - does it come with charger and Micro SD?

If it has the charger I'll think about picking one up tonight.

Charges via mini USB, comes with a cable. They also sent me a UK AC adapter but I have no need for it.

And no Micro SD as default but there is an option to include it - but its cheaper just to get one from Amazon or even Tesco.

Oh and I forgot to add, it has a GBA link cable port. Works fine, tested it with Mario Kart on a GBA OG.

Charges via mini USB, comes with a cable. They also sent me a UK AC adapter but I have no need for it.

And no Micro SD as default but there is an option to include it - but its cheaper just to get one from Amazon or even Tesco.

Oh and I forgot to add, it has a GBA link cable port. Works fine, tested it with Mario Kart on a GBA OG.

Awesome, thanks. It looks really great. Will look into buying this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom