• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: COLECO to release Chameleon, console that focuses on new cartridge games

Tripon

http://www.retrovgs.com/press.html

Trabuco Canyon, CA (PR) – December 17, 2015 Video-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market, partnering with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc., to introduce a new, modern-day video-game system called the COLECO Chameleon.

COLECO Chameleon is a versatile new video-game system that serves as a modern day take on the classic game console and will accurately play classic games from the past. The COLECO Chameleon also has the ability play brand-new games in the 8-, 16- and 32-bit styles, a growing and popular genre in today’s game scape.

Chris Cardillo, a partner in COLECO said, "Mark [Thomann] and I are excited to work hand-in-hand with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. in the launch of the COLECO Chameleon. It's ironic that a new ‘retro’ video-game system would actually revolutionize and revitalize the COLECO brand."

And, for the first time in nearly 20 years, the COLECO Chameleon will once again play brand new games on long-lasting, durable cartridges that can be played, traded, and collected for a lifetime. And all game cartridges will include high quality, plastic clamshell cases with illustrated instruction manuals and game developer liner notes.

Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. President Mike Kennedy adds, “The COLECO Chameleon is a love-letter to all the classic cartridge based gaming systems that came before it and we love the fact it will succeed COLECO’s successful Telstar and Colecovision product lines. It will take gamers and their families back to a simpler time where games were all about great gameplay and fun factor.”

The COLECO Chameleon will launch in early 2016 and will also be demonstrated at Toy Fair New York 2016, February 13-16.

YPuDhPb.jpg

cajcL83.png

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

Good luck?

Mask

Chameleon is a good name.

It's already disguised itself as that other kickstarted cartridge console.

Maniel

Banned
Weird, but maybe it'll get some buyers from nostalgia. If this was sega doing this, it would be much more effective though.

farmerboy

My head says this is dead in the water.

My nostalgic heart so wishes for this to succeed.

Console looks nice though. Love the coloured lettering.

I don't understand why someone is making this or how there could be a market for it, but if anyone actually makes games for this thing, I'm in. Games need to come first though.

Edit: Imagine if this thing could run Shovel Knight, Towerfall, and VVVVVV. I would LOVE this system if that happened. But I don't see how it could.

Do they have any games lined up for this thing?

I don't get the nay Sayers. I wish them luck. I hope they have proper filters and SCANLINES for the video out. Providing component output would be a big plus as well.

Balb

I don't understand why someone is making this or how there could be a market for it, but if anyone actually makes games for this thing, I'm in. Games need to come first though.

The controller is actually a rebranded third party Wii U controller.

Edit: was in response to your post pre-edit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I don't get why Coleco just ripped off a Wii U Pro Controller.

Wii-U-Pro-Controller.png
It's a third party Wii U controller the Retro guys licensed. But you don't get why? It's a pretty good controller.

Ferrio

Banned
The COLECO Chameleon will launch in early 2016 and will also be demonstrated at Toy Fair New York 2016

That's not a good sign. Just going to be another shitty emulation machine isn't it?

Trabuco Canyon, CA (PR) – December 17, 2015 Video-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market, partnering with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc., to introduce a new, modern-day video-game system called the COLECO Chameleon.

Coleco Inc. went bankrupt in the late 1980's. You're not fooling anyone, "Coleco."

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im indies start making games like Volgarr the Viking for this thing, I will be all in. For now playing the waiting game though.

Top Bottom