• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ark: Survival Evolved – PC vs. Xbox One Graphics Comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7HMEQUGows

I can see it now:

[1:20 in the video] IGN - The devs did a wonderful job eliminating the debris that plagued the PC version.

-11/10

Water looks ace on both. Looks like your typical PC -> XB1/(PS4) downport, though signficantly blurry.

zBjW2f2.jpg

UnGRXyc.jpg

lcmXoxa.jpg

7UlggEy.jpg

Denton

What res is Xbone running at ? Looks terribly aliased and blurry. Plus all the missing debris and textures on the ground ? Unreal 4 in the hands of these devs does not agree with it it seems.

As Durante said, it really looks like they spent a lot of time getting those sliders to be in the best most leftward position they could manage for. "xb1 optimisiation" really means, we turned it to low

What res is Xbone running at ? Looks terribly aliased and blurry. Plus all the missing debris and textures on the ground ? Unreal 4 in the hands of these devs does not agree with it it seems.

The art design is very good, water looks good, but that is some of the worst aliasing I have seen this gen. Wow. Has to be a very very low resolution at this stage of development, or at least for this version.

Kezen

Banned
Xbox One "optimizations" at work indeed.
Right in line with how it performs on Xbox One-grade GPUs on PC.

RobNBanks

Banned
im just waiting for the person that says they don't see the difference and luckily they dont care about stupid stuff like res so they can just enjoy games

Danlord

I hope I'm not being inflammatory here but I'm now very skeptical for the PS4 version especially since they committed to supporting PSVR with it. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/11/ark-survival-evolved-coming-to-ps4-project-morpheus/

The removal of the debris is fine if it was littered everywhere and looked out of place, but the removal of the impressions in the sand is quite jarring, which added some depth to the environment. The water looks mostly fine but the resolution overall does seem to be letting the overall image quality down.

Kezen

Banned
I'm very curious to see what level of hardware is required to run Rise of the Tomb Raider as well as the Xbox One.

We have seen the Xbox One equivalent GPU in the PC space (the R7 260/360) matching Microsoft's console thus far, if equipped with an Intel quad core which is of course stronger than the Jaguar cores on consoles, but that's to be expected since high level APIs are much more brutal on the CPUs than the thiner abstraction layers.

So I suppose the Xbox One "optimizations" pertain more to the CPU than anything else. That's something I guess.

Tagyhag

I hope I'm not being inflammatory here but I'm now very skeptical for the PS4 version especially since they committed to supporting PSVR with it. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/11/ark-survival-evolved-coming-to-ps4-project-morpheus/

The removal of the debris is fine if it was littered everywhere and looked out of place, but the removal of the impressions in the sand is quite jarring, which added some depth to the environment. The water looks mostly fine but the resolution overall does seem to be letting the overall image quality down.

My guess is that all the effects will stay down, they have to up the resolution for VR compared to whatever the hell is running on the X1, AND they need to get to at least 60fps.

So I suppose the Xbox One "optimizations" pertain more to the CPU than anything else. That's something I guess.

Still has an extremely low LOD distance for shadows and objects, or it just does not have stuff at all where the PC version does. Perhaps the differenctial between CPUs is so large, that even a less abstracted API on top, is only just enough to run it all in the first place. Whereas the same CPU on a PC under dx11 would be under minimum spec.

Interestingly enough, if you look at the one shot where they stick the camera right next to the boulder, the x1 version seemingly has lower resolution textures as well.

Yep, i think the PS4 version will release soon. Also the PS4 will support PS VR.

What the hell were they thinking when they committed to supporting PS VR? There is no way they can get that running at an acceptable level in terms of resolution and framerate.

Wow, I can't get over the missing debris and bland sand textures.

Normally, I don't care about the differences between PC and console and don't worry about it, but that's jarring.

Kezen

Banned
Still has an extremely low LOD distance for shadows and objects, or it just does not have stuff at all where the PC version does. Perhaps the differenctial between CPUs is so large, that even a less abstracted API on top, just allows it to run it all in the first place.

Interestingly enough, if you look at the one shot where they stick the camera right next to the boulder, the x1 version seemingly has lower resolution textures as well.

Indeed, that's a hell of a downgrade in spite of the usual arguments (fixed specs, lower level APIs, "optimizing for the hardware"....)

Common sense?

Why does there need to be a "detailed investigation"? We will find out in 7 or so days.

Wow, c'mon now guys.

The point of consoles is that games can be optimized to a single piece of hardware.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188600999&postcount=26

I suppose the counter argument is "wait for Directx 12 guys!", but the Xbox One API is already very low level so....

That said it's definitely true you need much more CPU power than consoles to do the same thing, in most cases but thus far on the GPU side it has not been true to anywhere near the same extent.
In fact I can't think of a single game where you need significantly (>30%) GPU power than the Xbox One for parity, will the next AAA games confirm or break that trend ? We shall see. I asked the same question to someone of seemingly great knowledge on the subject (FordGTGuy) but surprisingly he never answered.

Who to believe ? Apologists like Fortgtguy or the moutain of evidence ? Hum.

What the hell were they thinking when they committed to supporting PS VR? There is no way they can get that running at an acceptable level in terms of resolution and framerate.

Perhaps we will finally get B.C. after all with the PSVR version!
68036_full.jpg

1060788554.jpg

I tbh have no idea why they committed to it. Maybe they think they can just tear out enough with enough man hours after they sell a whole bunch of early access copies

Corpekata

Banned

It'll be like indie devs and their Vita versions lately. Nice to talk about, quietly cancelled or backburnered till no one cares.

thelastword

Banned
I thought this game looked much better overall from prior media (textures and foliage mostly), but the XB1 version is pretty disgusting in comparison to the PC even then. Rez is butchered, a lot of debris and detail are missing on the XB1 version and of course the lower AF just makes it look even worse.

Anybody who watches this video and say that rez does not make a difference in visuals are lying to themselves, even with the missing debris and lower details, this game at a higher resolution on XB1 would look much better.

I also got some impressions that this game is not the best performer on gaming PC's, even with these low settings, it would be a shame if the XB1 version also performs badly......

lefantome

This is why it shouldn't have been released on EA on console.

The game is very heavy on PC but you can always run it on a high end pc have a decent looking game.

Kezen

Banned
Don't worry. It is early access. I'm sure it will improve massively later on.
not

It probably will but that will not be restricted to the console versions.
With Directx 12 on both sides this is going to be a very good comparison between PC and console efficiency.

Top Bottom