• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Azure is available to everyone, including PS exclusives

Looking at Phil Spencer's activity on Twitter, ShockersDual reports a statement from the head of Xbox about Microsoft Azure platform, aka the power of the cloud that was used for Titanfall and the upcoming Crackdown 3.

Please lock the thread if this is common knowledge, but this is new to me. I think some people could find it strange from a console war perspective, but this illustrates once again how Microsoft gives priority to its global business, not the little battlefield that is the console war for them.

We knew that already with Minecraft. Despite spending 2,5 billion dollars to acquire Mojang, Microsoft kept the game running on PlayStation platforms and even added it recently to Wii U.

This should also put to rest any crazy theories (if they are still alive ?) about Microsoft buying the Havok technology to get some exclusive tools, or prevent rivals Sony and Nintendo to access the middleware. This is obviously the opposite and it's a global business strategy again here : the more people will use Havok outside Microsoft, the more Microsoft will be happy.

samar11

Looking at Phil Spencer's activity on Twitter, ShockersDual reports a statement from the head of Xbox about Microsoft Azure platform, aka the power of the cloud that was used for Titanfall and the upcoming Crackdown 3.

Please lock the thread if this is common knowledge, but this is new to me. I think some people could find it strange from a console war perspective, but this illustrates once again how Microsoft gives priority to its global business, not the little battlefield that is the console war for them.

We knew that already with Minecraft. Despite spending 2,5 billion dollars to acquire Mojang, Microsoft kept the game running on PlayStation platforms and even added it recently to Wii U.

This should also put to rest any crazy theories (if they are still alive ?) about Microsoft buying the Havok technology to get some exclusive tools, or prevent rivals Sony and Nintendo to access the middleware. This is obviously the opposite and it's a global business strategy again here : the more people will use Havok outside Microsoft, the more Microsoft will be happy.

They see an opportunity to make even mroe money by allowing it to be used on other platforms, why not.

neshcom

Banned
They mentioned that in that The Verge feature last week. While the service is there, I'm sure it's either cost-prohibitive for cross-platform or not as compatible for PSN or something. Like, if it were easy or feasible, why wouldn't it be in use?

Aselith

Don't think anyone ever thought otherwise.

I guarantee if you asked before he said this motherfuckers would have come back with "yeah right m$ is gonna let sony games use their servers when they're trouncing them in sale lelelelele"

People only know console warfare

Vash63

Why does this matter? Does anyone care about this that has heard of AWS, Google Compute or Rackspace? Microsoft is hardly the only cloud provider, or even the best one.

Why do so many people put spaces before their colons in thread titles?

I'm not giving anyone a hard time or anything, I am really genuinely curious. I used to think it was a typo, but it happens so often. Plus, OPs like this one are well written and otherwise devoid of error, which makes the chances of a genuine typological mistake seem unlikely.

What's the scoop on this? Is it a grammatical holdover from a different language? Is it British English?

iceatcs

Of course, many devices able to access cos it is only Internet. I assume that Xbox developers can have it full access cloud computing for free.

Lazaro

It's a business obviously.

Still want an official answer for why they won't permit cross-play with non-xbox services.

Hoje0308

Banned
I thought otherwise. At press events they implied "cloud powered" gaming was only possible on XONE.

But that's obviously not true. The technology is available to everyone, regardless of whether or not MS wants to let people use their servers for a fee.

I'm not giving anyone a hard time or anything, I am really genuinely curious. I used to think it was a typo, but it happens so often. Plus, OPs like this one are well written and otherwise devoid of error, which makes the chances of a genuine typological mistake seem unlikely.

What's the scoop on this? Is it a grammatical holdover from a different language?
I haven't noticed it as a thing, so you're reaching.

I haven't noticed it as a thing, so you're reaching.

There's another thread right on the front page, plus another just a few pages later. So, including this thread, that's three examples for you. But I see threads like this every week.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1143119

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1159562

I hate when people say I'm reaching. You not noticing something or seeing something doesn't mean that the people who do are "reaching."

Below, you'll see it's proper French syntax. Which answers my question and confirms my suspicion.

On topic, because I didn't come here just for the grammar lesson, I am curious whether other games or platforms will actually use the technology. It obviously hasn't proven itself yet, but it seems like one of those things that could really mix up this generation's hardware.

rje

Azure is just a run of the mill provider, and it runs as a separate business unit. Microsoft would be stupid to turn away customers that could help grow that division (especially since long term it's more valuable than Xbox is anyways).

Servers are servers, devs choosing azure over aws, rackspace, etc won't make much difference.

If Microsoft actually does have any 'special sauce' that's based on server compute, that's a different thing and not being discussed here.

Seems about right.

Microsoft's 90's goal was "a computer on every desk running Microsoft software". Their new one should (and seems to) be "Every device connected to a Microsoft server".

What's the scoop on this? Is it a grammatical holdover from a different language? Is it British English?

Yo, French member here !

I was curious after reading your post so I did a quick research and learned that indeed no space is required before colons in english. It is however the norm in French punctuation (though I know a lot of French that won't use a space).

Yo, French member here !

I was curious after reading your post so I did a quick research and learned that indeed no space is required before colons in english. It is however the norm in French punctuation (though I know a lot of French that won't use a space).

Thank you!

That was my suspicion and I'm relieved to have that confirmed. I had a feeling it was a rule somewhere else and didn't want to pass up the opportunity for knowledge.

Flandy

Maybe so it shows up via search? Though that might not matter.

4Tran

Azure is a lot more important to Microsoft and Xbox is, so it makes sense that they don't want to gate it off.

Isn't it just a typical dedicated server farm? Why would Sony need that when they have their own :/
It takes time, expertise, and a lot of money to build a distributed server service like Azure. It makes a lot more sense for Sony to buy the services from someone like Amazon or Microsoft than to build their own.

Cleve

Isn't it just a typical dedicated server farm? Why would Sony need that when they have their own :/

Yeah, it's a great service that scales well, but it's really not terribly different from what companies like Amazon also offer. The person asking phil about titanfall just got sold on the buzzwords.

Microsoft have a great VM service, but it's nothing magical.

-edit- As a couple other people posted, Azure is way more important to microsoft than X-Box is. If anything they'd absolutely love to have PSN as an azure hosted service. Think of the money they'd make and the PR win.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Isn't this known? I'm sure I recalled that Killzone's servers were on Azure.

Top Bottom