• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR is the real way to experience Ace Combat 7, says Producer Kono

Well I was critical of the statement "VR Features" thinking it wasn't full fledge VR. I'm glad to be wrong, I think.

http://www.gamesradar.com/playstati...e-ace-combat-7-says-producer/?tag=grsocial-20

The reason we came up with the idea was that we can change screens when we were in the cockpit inside the game. Using the controller, we can only imagine the TV screen in the living room, but...when we played the VR mode, we can remember the actual experience [of being] inside the cockpit, flying freely around the sky."

However, if virtually reality sounds like nothing but a headache to you, no need to fear. Counter to some recent reports, the game will not be exclusive to VR, and will be playable on the PS4 without a PlayStation VR headset. Kono likens the Ace Combat 7 experience to an ice cream sundae - "Everything like online mode and campaign mode is in the ice cream. PlayStation VR is going to be a topping."

Kono still maintains that the VR version will be the 'true' Ace Combat experience, but fans who simply can't stomach the tech won't have to do battle with motion sickness to enjoy a series that they love. He is, after all, thankful for all the fans have done for the Ace Combat series. "One brand that lasts almost twenty years is kind of an unbelievable thing," said Kono. "Because Ace Combat is beloved by all the fans, we're very pleased making the announcement of the brand new [Ace Combat] 7. That was possible because the fans supported us for this long period of time."

That's good news, both ways. Also online confirmed (though I never really doubted it). All we need now is to confirm that it is classic gameplay and not DFM and we are golden.

Yeah I get the impression from this interview that the whole campaign will be playable in VR which is awesome.

Also I didn't realize this game was going to be exclusive to PS4.

Speaking as someone who has 11 hours of actual flight time, flying games in VR is evokative of what its like to pilot a plane.

War thunder is great one to try now

Speaking as someone who has 11 hours of actual flight time, flying games in VR is evokative of what its like to pilot a plane.

War thunder is great one to try now
What-Gear-VR-Goodbye-Real-World.png

Im ready.

4Tran

Cockpit-viewpoint games translate the most naturally to VR, so this doesn't come as a surprise. Ace Combat might well be the best way to sell the Playstation VR in the near future.

I really hope they have a peaceful free flight mode. I'd love that.
There should be, every console AC since at least 4 has had them. I also hope there are some relaxing Pilotwings-style 'fly through the rings' side missions.

Now all we need is an official HOTAS and my physical life can go away.
Yeah they've got to put out a new stick for this game. It would be a terrible missed opportunity if they don't.

Same.

I'm got a puke bucket ready.

EVE Valkyrie has no reports of this when people playing their game, why do y'all still harp on this aspect of VR? seems like an old DK1/2 problem growing pains that seem to have been virtually(pun intended) solved.

farisr

Unless you are already prone to motion sickness from playing games like CoD or other FPS games, or you're going to have a whole cockpit rig that will twist and turn exactly the way you are piloting the plane in the game, I really don't think this will induce vomiting.

Brannon

On an off note, I wonder if Track IR can be used for PS4. But that would probably cut into VR sales, so oh well.

Maybe Microsoft? They really don't have anything comparable...

On an off note, I wonder if Track IR can be used for PS4. But that would probably cut into VR sales, so oh well.

Maybe Microsoft? They really don't have anything comparable...

Isn't the VR system a superior version of that? What would TrackIR add on top of that?

Afrikan

It was so awesome ACTUALLY looking around for other ships as I was going against other human pilots in EVE Valkyrie PSVR demo at PSX.

just like the pilots in those old Star Wars movies...I felt like I was there.

Can't wait to play Ace Combat and War Thunder in VR. :D

gcubed

EVE Valkyrie has no reports of this when people playing their game, why do y'all still harp on this aspect of VR? seems like an old DK1/2 problem growing pains that seem to have been virtually(pun intended) solved.

I dont think anyone is saying VR itself will be making you sick...

I'm harping on the fact that i get motion sickness very easily and flying a fighter plane would make me throw up. Unless VR magically can solve my inner ear issues, I assume i will be getting sick from playing the game

I dont think anyone is saying VR itself will be making you sick...

I'm harping on the fact that i get motion sickness very easily and flying a fighter plane would make me throw up. Unless VR magically can solve my inner ear issues, I assume i will be getting sick from playing the game

understood.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If it's a proper Ace Combat then here is the VR Trojan Horse into my home. Like, day 1.

If it's a proper Ace Combat.

Krejlooc

Banned
Of course it is. Once you've played a flight game in VR, you will never, ever go back to a conventional screen. It's the genre that, thus far, benefits the most from VR. A flight game in VR vs a conventional screen is completely night and day.

I literally cannot play this genre without VR anymore.

orochi91

To say I'm apprehensive would be an understatement.

Vertigo and motion sickness, coupled with a fear of height, makes this a nightmare scenario...

Glowsquid

Also from the article

s a title exclusive to the PS4, Ace Combat 7 (the "true successor to Ace Combat 6," according to Bandai-Namco representative Danny Chiu)

of course being revealed at PSX may have hinted at it, but it could have been a timed exclusive. Is that a slip of the tongue by the author, or was that confirmed anywhere else?

Top Bottom