• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failoverflow to announce ps4 Jailbreak next week ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugdug

Banned
Yaaaaaaaaaassss, I've missed all those random system software updates from PS3 to combat this stuff. Psyched it's coming to PS4 now.

Well, if this is true, PS4 will surely surpass Metal Gear... I mean PS2

I'll buy a second PS4 just to have one with PS1 and PS2 emulators. I don't think a PS3 emulator might be feasible, but everything else would be possible.

EmSeta

Huh. If previous generations tell us anything, piracy won't affect sales much. Maybe the jailbreak can be used to install P.T. on new consoles.

EDIT: Didn't even think about emulation! That would be pretty cool I guess.

Thanks fucking pirates.

3JdgcVX.gif

Quonny

I just don't know if this kind of thing is a big deal anymore. With basically every game using online in some way, along with PS+ offerings, etc, I just don't know why someone would bother. Even if it magically unlocks something nuts.

Plus there's the potential for tons and tons of patches from Sony's amazing servers, so that's pretty cool.

Ishida

Banned
Never said it wouldn't eventually happen but this is talking about hacking PS4 and possible linux support without derailing it with piracy talk that isn't even confirmed to be possible yet.

This guy in particular won't make an ISO loader, that much I know.

But he's opening the doors for any fuckwad who wants to create one, like giving him the keys and saying: "Oh and by the way, PLEASE don't pirate games, huh? Don't be bad boys!".

All these jailbreaks eventually serve one and only one purpose.

But he's opening the doors for any fuckwad who wants to create one, like giving him the keys and saying: "Oh and by the way, PLEASE don't pirate games, huh? Don't be bad boys!".

Emulators...? Homebrew...?

I hope Sony is on the ball with console banning people who go online with anything that comes from this. Don't want cheaters in multiplayer games or people fucking with trophies.

Ishida

Banned
The cool thing about this is... ISO loaders are not the only kind of homebrew. Funny, I know.

No, they are not.

But let's not pretend that the "Indie games and emulator" scenes don't die quickly, and all that is left is the constant effort to improve ISO loaders and finding way to patch games and going online with the pirated ones.

sensui-tomo

Like letting me play nier replicant or tov in English? :D
Yeah I know what you're pointing to, but I look in the little good stuff. Like wanting that yakuza samurai game in English.
The big negative is online hacks/save hacks affecting online games.

it's 2015. It hasn't been 2005 for over 10 years now...

You've probably got more than once device physically strapped to your person at all times that would serve as far more capable and convenient vehicles for both emulation and homebrew development. And considering that applies to like half the gaming-capable human race, I think it's reasonable to assume that hardly anyone will fuck around with 'emulators' and 'homebrew' on PS4 when there's piracy to be had instead.

No, they are not.

But let's not pretend that the "Indie games and emulator" scenes don't die quickly, and all that is left is the constant effort to improve ISO loaders and finding way to patch games and going online with the pirated ones.

^^^

The PS4 emulator and homebrew scene would probably last about as long as the 360 and PS3 emulator and homebrew scene did

or in other words LMAO hahahahahaha

vpance

It'll be funny if it's actually an Xbone jailbreak, and will be what propels them to 100 million consoles sold.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I just hope these hackers don't completely ruin it for everybody who is legitimately using these systems how they were intended.

You can't even play a lot of games online anymore cause of cheaters and whatnot.

No, they are not.

Fair enough. But just like PS2 and DS. Even if piracy is rampant and a pain in the ass, consoles and it's software can have a healthy life.

Personally, I'd rather deal with a few cheater assholes (that will probably get banned) in exchange for a PS4 that can emulate 90% of the consoles.

it's 2015. It hasn't been 2005 for over 10 years now...

You've probably got more than once device physically strapped to your person at all times that would serve as far more capable and convenient vehicles for both emulation and homebrew development. And considering that applies to like half the gaming-capable human race, I think it's reasonable to assume that hardly anyone will fuck around with 'emulators' and 'homebrew' on PS4 when there's piracy to be had instead.

Yeah, I go everywhere with my Vita. Which sadly is still locked. Only the PSP sandbox has been unlocked, and you cannot get the best of many emulators. Which is what I want for my PS4.
I have dozens of discs for PS1 and PS2, it's totally understandable that I'd like to use them on my newest console.

hesido

With PS4's having a PC like architecture, Homebrew on PS4 doesn't bring much to the table. For PS3, you had the "power of the cell" for your homebrew app, and good guy Sony did allow quite a portion of it by supporting OtherOS, and then they removed it for reasons well known here.

You run emulators on your mobile phone nowadays. I sincerely hope no one is buying PS4 in anticipation of one day being able to run homebrew emulators.

Fair enough. But just like PS2 and DS. Even if piracy is rampant and a pain in the ass, consoles and it's software can have a healthy life.

Personally, I'd rather deal with a few cheater assholes (that will probably get banned) in exchange for a PS4 that can emulate 90% of the consoles.

You would be perfectly cool with piracy potentially becoming rampant and impacting the viability of the platform, and doors being opened for cheaters and hackers... solely for the nebulous and unlikely possibility that the PS4 might become yet another sub-optimal emulation box in a world where everything short of your toaster will run emulators. That's what you're saying?

The DS and PSP had their third party support taken out to the backyard and shot almost singlehandedly because of piracy later in their lifecycles.

It doesn't even make sense to point out that the PS2 and DS had healthy life cycles in spite of the sheer amount of piracy. I shouldn't even have to point out why, but just in case... they're the PS2 and the Nintendo DS ffs lol know what I mean? The most prolific video game consoles in history...

Alucrid

Banned

i didn't buy my ps4 for ps2 games, but i definitely did for sega genesis games

That's debatable (and truthfully has been.) but I did love dumping my UMDs onto my memory stick duo and not carrying all my DS carts. Booting back ups isn't the pariah it's made out to be.

Ishida

Banned
That's debatable (and truthfully has been.) but I did love dumping my UMDs onto my memory stick duo and not carrying all my DS carts. Booting back ups isn't the pariah it's made out to be.

That's nice. But I'm willing to bet that 99% of people out there won't "dump their own UMD's".

Aeana

I just want to remind everyone that the whole hombrew = piracy derail is extremely well-trodden ground at this point, and it's not a discussion we're particularly willing to host yet again. We can have a new thread on this after whatever this is is announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom