• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ys series are on sale on Steam; go grab one of the BEST Action RPG series ever

Tizoc

What is the Ys series you ask? Here's an illustrative explanation
s2igs71.jpg

The Long version-
The Ys series are Action RPG games from Falcom, the ones on Steam are the latest and updated version of some of the games in the series that did get PC releases, they are
Ys 1 and 2
Ys Origin, has a Demo if you want to try it out
Ys 3 (Oath in Felghana)
Ys 6

What makes the Ys series so friggin' awesome is
1- Simple but fun combat system that is the equivalent of

2- It has some of the BEST soundtracks a video game could ever have

3- Great boss fights

4- Did I mention the series has some of the BEST soundtracks a video game could ever have? Because they do.

5- You play as Adol 'Gets shit done' Christin, one of the most badass protagonists in a video game series, he's so badass, Nintendo remain chickenshit to add him to Smash 4, unaware that doing so would make the game of the generation; Link vs. Adol, the fight that has been put off for 20 years too long.

One of the good things about the series is how overall the story isn't important; the basic premise is the following for every game outside of Origin-
Adol Christin goes to a town or village, said town or village is threatened by monsters and demons, Adol kicks monster and demon ass, takes down demi-god, move onto next village or town in need of demon ass to be kicked.

Should you need a proper starting point in this case you have 2 options (IMHO)
Start with Oath in Felghana; this is how I started out with the series and it was a great introduction. Story was simple and the overall game was a joy to play from start to finish. This game is a remake of Ys 3, released after Ys 6 and features various gameplay improvements from Ys 6.

Start with Ys 1 and 2; the original Ys games used a rather peculiar combat system: You just run at motherfuckers and Adol automatically slashes or cuts them up. It's a simple yet SATISFYING combat system, and they managed to make boss battles interesting despite this simplicity. The combat is known as the 'Bump' system, which gave rise to Adol being called One-Bump Man aka One-Cut Man aka One-Slash Man. Take your pick~
Now keep in mind there's an important aspect to the Bump system: DO NOT HIT ENEMIES HEAD ON. If an enemy is IN FRONT OF YOU DIRECTLY, do not run at their faces. Instead run at them diagonally to hit them from the side (of their sprite). Doing so otherwise will lead to YOU taking damage as well.
It'll take a few minutes to adjust to it, but once you get the hang of it you'll be bumping into monsters from their lefts and rights and racking up dat EXP and Gold~

Ys Origin is a prequel taking place centuries before Ys 1 and 2, and is best played after them to better appreciate the lore and characters in it.

What's that?
You want MORE Falcom goodness? Check out their RPG series Trails in the Sky 1 and 2, also discounted on Steam as well as Gurumin, a cute and adorable Adventure game.

In conclusion I leave you with a selection of some of the great tracks this series is known for
RELEASE
OF
THE FAR WEST
OCEAN

Holders of Power aka Theme of Vagullion

Valsetian Castle Just keep listening~

First step towards wars

Genesis beyond the beginning

I'd post TO MAKE THE END OF BATTLE, but this track is a reward for completing Ys 1 and starting Ys 2~

So go forth young GAFfer, experience the greatness that is Ys and Adol Christin and let your voice join the many as you raise your fist towards the heaven with a mighty yell shout out "FUCK YOU, DARK FACT"

NoKisum

Did they patch it anytime recently? I plugged in my 360 controller after buying it last year in a Steam sale, and it was wigging the fuck out. And no, I'm not doing kbm on my couch.

EDIT: Just realized I'm missing vital information: I have Oath of Felghana and Origin. Might get 6 if there's no technical problems.

Rezae

One of my favorite series ever, if not #1, and I was never that into them until a few years ago.

Great gameplay, great challenge, great music, charming graphics, just enough story without bogging anything down. Just buy them if you haven't yet.

Durante

Ys Origin is the best game in its sub-genre, period.

Also, Genesis Beyond the Beginning is one of the best pieces of videogame music of all time.

Did they patch it anytime recently? I plugged in my 360 controller after buying it last year in a Steam sale, and it was wigging the fuck out. And no, I'm not doing kbm on my couch.
I played all the Ys games with an xinput controller.

Miutsu

Love the image in the OP, and of course the games themselves, I already bought Ys 6 which is the only one of the PC games I haven't played before.

Eventually I'll get around to Celceta in Vita or PC if it ever gets ported.

Definitely buy Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin if you haven't. Brilliant music, top notch gameplay, and pretty much perfect pacing- both are great examples of games that, in my opinion, don't waste the player's time whatsoever. These games are essential to any well rounded Steam library!

gnexus

I played the hell out of Celceta and enjoyed it on my Vita, but haven't jumped into any of the Steam versions. I guess now's the perfect time to jump further down the Ys rabbit hole. Any recommendations on where to start? 1 and 2? Origin?

daakusedo

Got bored by the leveling up in origin, there was only blazing through the game that kept it relevant so when you're stuck farming enemies, for a fast game, that's a downer.
Wish I knew before that easy mode ain't like that but you indeed loose difficulty which is not optimal.

Wonko_C

I started this series with Felghana too, then I played I & II, then VI, Origins, VII, etc. loved them all.

In january I played halfway through Memories of Celceta on PS Vita, unfortunately my console got stolen but a good friend lent me his (he'd rather have me using it than gathering dust, in his words) until I am able to buy myself a new one, so I'm playing it again from scratch, but I've heard there is a rumor that it's coming to PC? If so then I'll wait for that version. Ys should always be played at 60+fps.

nikos

I played Celceta and really enjoyed it. Been clamoring for another ever since. Not sure which to go with next. I'd also much rather play on my Vita, or even console, but may grab PC versions since they're on sale.

StereoVsn

This is a good thread. It's an excellent series offering cool fun combat and music and you kind of go through multiple video game generations with it. Definitely don't forget Trails games (at the least get FC) and Gurumin is pretty charming and fun.

Thud

Man the sound these games produce are still so hype.

I have no idea what it would be like to have heard it on the PC-Engine back in the day. Must have been a shocking revelation.

Tizoc

I played the hell out of Celceta and enjoyed it on my Vita, but haven't jumped into any of the Steam versions. I guess now's the perfect time to jump further down the Ys rabbit hole. Any recommendations on where to start? 1 and 2? Origin?

Would you PLEASE read the first post one more time :p

Got bored by the leveling up in origin, there was only blazing through the game that kept it relevant so when you're stuck farming enemies, for a fast game, that's a downer.
Wish I knew before that easy mode ain't like that but you indeed loose difficulty which is not optimal.

Ys games don't need you to grind or level up, granted I did Grind in Origin but I think it was mostly for the final battle, if anything, grinding in Ys games need you to get at most 3 levels and you're ready to take on the boss with lesser hassle.

Rezae

Would you PLEASE read the first post one more time :p

Ys games don't need you to grind or level up, granted I did Grind in Origin but I think it was mostly for the final battle, if anything, grinding in Ys games need you to get at most 3 levels and you're ready to take on the boss with lesser hassle.

Yeah I would say a level or two of grinding can definitely help - you will see a noticeable difference in dmg/defense with each level, but for the most part bosses are more about pattern memorization and reflexes than straight up overpowering with stats. Of course if your reflexes suck, grinding will give you more flexibility.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
What I've played of Oath in Felghana was great but I got bored with it by the time I reached the castle. Would love to pick up the series again though. Also, the music is awesome.

I recommend playing on nightmare :^)

Myriadis

Oath in Felgana is it for me then, I have only played Ark of Napishtim or something like that before and I loved it.

My first Ys game was Celceta and I fell in love with the series. I've since then beat 1 and 7 (started 2 but got sidetracked). I need to pick up the other games before 8 comes out too.

MLH

Started this series recently and instantly loved it.
It's very unique RPG and considering its age, I'm surprised no one else has copied the formula; fast paced action RPG with bullet hell style bosses.
Started with Ys I & II first then moved onto Oath in Felghana, will probably play VI next before going back to origins, hopefully the rest of the series ends on on PC in the future.

I loved the soundtrack options in I&II, spent a lot of time listening to the PC-88 tracks - love that sound. Wish the other games also included a FM Synth option, I've grown quite attached to such music with Etrian Odyssey, Ys and most of Yuzo Koshiro's work.

Golnei

I've been meaning to get into this series for a while - this seems as good a time as any.

I'm surprised no one else has copied the formula; fast paced action RPG with bullet hell style bosses.

I'm not that familiar with the particulars of the series' boss design, but on the surface that sounds like it has a few similarities to Nier.

BetterVainIberianmidwifetoad.gif

Mifec

I've been meaning to get into this series for a while - this seems as good a time as any.

I'm not that familiar with the particulars of the series' boss design, but on the surface that sounds like it has a few similarities to Nier.

BetterVainIberianmidwifetoad.gif

Vastly superior to the first Nier, we will see how Automata turns out.

From a pure game design perspective, Oath in Felghana has to be the best action-RPG of all time. (Because on the 'action-RPG spectrum,' it leans far more heavily towards being an action game than an RPG :V)

jett

D-Member
lol that image in the op is 100% accurate.

These games are fantastic and I recommend them to everyone.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ooooo Goddamn that OP!

I have all the games but I guess its time to play again! And gift them!

daakusedo

If you don't grind you do like 1 dmg to regular enemies, it's was nothing but that since the fire floor and it's not surprising easy is the most played category in speedrun.
I'll certainly choose this mode when I'll get back to the other games.

sörine

Banned
Amazing series, Oath is still my favorite by far but all are so worth buying full price even. I hope some day Falcom and Xseed can find a way to clean up and get those Chinese ports of VII and MoC on Steam.

EDIT: Just realized I'm missing vital information: I have Oath of Felghana and Origin. Might get 6 if there's no technical problems.
I played all of them with a 360 pad fine.

totowhoa

Banned
Welp, just I + II and Origins. My take on this game originally was similar to the OPs. Add in that I thought running into enemies seemed silly + I wasn't confident I'd have the patience for an 80s RPG, not realizing these were PSP releases.

Excited to finally give them a whirl, actually.

kewlmyc

Played Ys: Oath on Vita a few years back. Surprisingly awesome. Sadly, I didn't like Ys 7 as much as the gameplay of Oath.

If Orgins is like Oath, I'll pick it up.

Arkeband

Banned
I made the mistake of playing Ys 1 on hard, and I'm at a place where I think I'm at max level and there's some bat demon asshole who I have a window of literally one "bump" and I have to him like 50 times and he can instant kill me.

The obvious solution is to start over but meh.

Tizoc

Played Ys: Oath on Vita a few years back. Surprisingly awesome. Sadly, I didn't like Ys 7 as much as the gameplay of Oath.

mANY WILL tell you that Origin is BETTER than Oath, gameplay-wise, and they're right.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm playing the oath in Felgathing, and i loved Ys VII. But damn this one is tough...
I'm at some fire bird boss and i grinded like crazy but it's still super hard cause i'm not even sure what's his hit box.. And when he does his attacks where the bridge is fucked up i never really control how or where my character walks.. To be honest it feels a little broken/messy in term of collision and control so that doesn't help..

Ultratech

That reminds me, I still need to play through Oath...(picked up when it was on sale a few months ago.)

I highly recommend Origin though. Awesome game.

Tizoc

I'm playing the oath in Felgathing, and i loved Ys VII. But damn this one is tough...
I'm at some fire bird boss and i grinded like crazy but it's still super hard cause i'm not even sure what's his hit box.. And when he does his attacks where the bridge is fucked up i never really control how or where my character walks.. To be honest it feels a little broken/messy in term of collision and control so that doesn't help..

Go back to the area where you descend ledges; there would be a ledge reachable via the Wind Power. In that ledge is a gem that powers up the Wind Magic that makes the boss figt easier.
That boss kicked my ass A LOT but I beat him in the end, you can do it!

Miutsu

I made the mistake of playing Ys 1 on hard, and I'm at a place where I think I'm at max level and there's some bat demon asshole who I have a window of literally one "bump" and I have to him like 50 times and he can instant kill me.

The obvious solution is to start over but meh.

I'm not sure if I had a harder time with this boss or the final boss of that game.

Beating him is so satisfying though! but I don't remember in which difficulty I played back then.

Durante

To be honest it feels a little broken/messy in term of collision and control so that doesn't help..
IMHO, Oath and Origin have some of the best, most responsive and immediate controls of any game ever. And I don't say that lightly.

Teknoman

Man the sound these games produce are still so hype.

I have no idea what it would be like to have heard it on the PC-Engine back in the day. Must have been a shocking revelation.

Still is today. 90s CD game soundtracks have a quality I can't put my finger on. Maybe it's the red book?

linko9

I've enjoyed all of these games (except 1 and 2), and would agree that Origins is the best. However, I've never really understood the hyperbolic praise that this series gets from some people. The production values are very low, the music is just a step above Dynasty Warriors, and there's nothing compelling at all about the plot or characters. Frankly the games are pretty ugly. The basic gameplay is decent, and you can get some real enjoyment from playing on higher difficulties. There are a lot of little things that frustrate me about the games (like the fact that you often have to stop and grind momentarily in order to be able to damage enemies in new areas), but overall I like them. Could never get into 1&2 though; I played all the way through 1 and halfway through 2 on the PC Engine, and just never found the fun. Tried again with the steam releases, still didn't enjoy them.

Producer

You're going to love Origin. Its like Oath, but even better.
Also replay OiF on PC if you havent, 60fps is awesome.

Top Bottom