• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo CEO implies NX is a home console; bullish on console prospects in Japan

Oregano

From 4Gamer via Siliconera when asked about the prospects of home consoles in Japan Koei Tecmo CEO namedropped NX:
4Gamer: On one hand, virtual reality requires special machinery to play, and we feel that the current state of “games” is headed to yet another way of playing. It’s almost as if it’s evolving towards the opposite direction of smartphones, and requires to “only play at that spot,” or something along those lines. Lately it seems that [home] consoles haven’t been doing too well, but is that the case? At least that’s what we’re wondering.

Erikawa: “Actually, I think that it’ll start doing much better. The PlayStation 4 has recently surpassed 2 million units in nationwide sales, and Nintendo announced a new ‘machine’ called the NX. From this point forward, I believe that each company will make clear commitments for these machines.”

If that's an accurate translation(always doubt with Siliconera) it implies that NX is at least a home console but seems suspiciously vague.

Also going from that interview snippet Koei Tecmo seems confident that consoles will rebound in Japan. I think opinion's very divided about that!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It depends on the translation, but still: if it's indeed a family of consoles, it's both.

I thought the consensus was that NX is two hardware.

Also, I'm kinda doubtful on the console comment considering how both PS4 and Wii U are struggling without competition.

KageZero

Maybe slightly off topic but do we have any idea when some announcements regarding the nx could be made? Is it planned in the first quarter of this year or some time later?

Oregano

I thought the consensus was that NX is two hardware.

Also, I'm kinda doubtful on the console comment considering how both PS4 and Wii U are struggling without competition.

Speculation/rumour is that's two different pieces of hardware but we've had no concrete information and official sources have only referenced it as a home device but have not ruled out a portable aspect.

Maybe slightly off topic but do we have any idea when some announcements regarding the nx could be made? Is it planned in the first quarter of this year or some time later?

Nintendo has only said 2016 but I personally believe we'll hear something before the end of the fiscal year(in March), especially if they're going to launch this year.

Oregano

I don't think that particular quote implies anything.

Happy that KT believes in the future of consoles, they're doing a good job.

But yeah it doesn't say anything about NX

It'd be strange to bring up a portable when asked about home consoles though. The only two devices mentioned are PS4 and NX.

Koei Tecmo is one of Nintendo's closest partners too so it's not like they'll be in the dark.

Datschge

Console sales are healthy in Japan he says...

As for the original discussion it went from PSVR to plain PS4 console sales at home and abroad where he namedrops NX. NX is at least also a console, and he's on board.

KageZero

Will the power cable come in the box or be sold seperately?
Separately so they can save some money but you will be able to use the power cable from your wii or wii u. It will be neat
I think a E3 reveal 2016
I hoped we would get some updates during february, e3 seems like a long wait.
Nintendo has only said 2016 but I personally believe we'll hear something before the end of the fiscal year(in March), especially if they're going to launch this year.
Yeah it would be a good thing if they only explain what exactly the console will be in the end so people will get an idea if the can buy a wiiu/3ds or wait for the successor

Iwata outright said that their next generation would not be a single SKU mixing portable and console. He said if anything, their new plan of creating a unified architecture could allow more SKUs than just "handheld" and "console".

Edit: I guess the official Nintendo translation of what Iwata said was less clear:

Iwata in 2013 said:
Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

maxcriden

NX must launch in 2016. Otherwise, Nintendo will likely not be able to achieve its projected return to Nintendo-like profits next year.

All evidence indicates NX is not a hybrid console, but a family of handheld and console with multiple form factors and an iOS-like philosophy. I would be surprised if you can't use the handheld as a controller.

ramparter

Banned
From 4Gamer via Siliconera when asked about the prospects of home consoles in Japan Koei Tecmo CEO namedropped NX:

If that's an accurate translation(always doubt with Siliconera) it implies that NX is at least a home console but seems suspiciously vague.

Also going from that interview snippet Koei Tecmo seems confident that consoles will rebound in Japan. I think opinion's very divided about that!
A handheld is not a machine?

Anyway NX is a middleware, trust me.

AmyS

NX must launch in 2016. Otherwise, Nintendo will likely not be able to achieve its projected return to Nintendo-like profits next year.

All evidence indicates NX is not a hybrid console, but a family of handheld and console with multiple form factors and an iOS-like philosophy. I would be surprised if you can't use the handheld as a controller.

Yes. All of that.

NeonZ

Read the question. It was about home consoles. So, mentioning it in that context implies that it's a console.

Still, I don't think anyone speculated that the NX would be just a portable in the first place, so I'm not sure which speculations they're talking about there.

Oregano

Could it be a console definizione versus mobile, so including portable too in the comment?

It could be but the question specifically discusses VR and the only other system he mentions is the PS4 which would lead me to believe it was a question about home consoles.

Anyway NX is a middleware, trust me.

See above. Also NX being "a middleware" makes no sense. Do you mean something like iOS/Android?

I thought that was obvious. 3DS still has life in it and is very profitable. Why would you replace that right now instead of the Wii U which is on life support?

Oregano

I thought that was obvious. 3DS still has life in it and is very profitable. Why would you replace that right now instead of the Wii U which is on life support?

The 3DS is in heavy decline and will be five years old in just a few months. It's kinda old and not really popular enough to justify an extended lifecycle. It's due a replacement in the next year or so.

NX is a platform.

It won't be tied to one device that can run it but to many. Like at least portable + console from Nintendo but also on Mobile. It's an ecosystem that they want to define, they want something scalable (can evolve with hardware) and inter operable with a lot of devices too.

At least it's my comprehension from the tiny bits of information Nintendo already gave.

So yeah console will come for sure... how do you think you're going to play F-Zero NX ? :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This literally tells us nothing we haven't already known.

And them supporting consoles, no wonder they would be trying to get many console sales. Otherwise they would not try

The 3DS is in heavy decline and will be five years old in just a few months. It's kinda old and not really popular enough to justify an extended lifecycle. It's due a replacement in the next year or so.

Possibly their mobile game strategy will delay any potential 3DS replacements until end of 2017.

Iwata and Miyamoto have dropped enough hints to investors and Japanese media to indicate that NX is not just a console, rather a platform with a shared hardware architecture and software development environment.

So I wouldn't read too much into the use of the term "machine", as publishers probably have to keep vague on what it actually is as part of their contracts.

Wii U has been on life support since launch. 3DS sales have pretty much been declining in all markets for a while now. New 3DS came a year too late.

maxcriden

Possibly their mobile game strategy will delay any potential 3DS replacements until end of 2017.

Mobile game development is by Sakamoto's team from what I understand and would have little bearing on Nintendo's handheld strategy. If anything, part of Nintendo's mobile strategy is to have new and exciting hardware available to those drawn into its IP on the mobile front.

takoyaki

Sounds like some part of the NX ecosystem (or whatever) will be a home console. I think the Siliconera translation/interpretation makes sense.

Calling it a "machine" is very nondescript and could mean any kind of device/machine/gadget. But the TK CEO uses this term for the NX when being asked about the current state of the home console (据え置き) business in Japan. He then talks about the PS4 and "NX, that new machine announced by Nintendo".

Top Bottom