• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failoverflow conference about ps4 jailbreak is today....

luca_29_bg

http://streaming.media.ccc.de/32c3/relive/7560/ at 1:30 mark i believe

h2xpHuV.jpg

it's done.

Hasney

Sony will just patch the exploit and the cycle will renew again...

They're actually not showing the exploit. They're showing you what you can do when you have access.

They did the same thing with the Wii U shortly after launch. With this being more popular though, other people might make the exploit quicker.

The only reason I would like home brew is if the PS2 emulator could be released. Well, PS1 as well.
Unless someone manages to make PSCX2 way more efficient, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

PS1 and PSP with decent upscaling & AA is totally possible though.

Hasney

Unless someone manages to make PSCX2 way more efficient, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

PS1 and PSP with decent upscaling & AA is totally possible though.

I think they mean using the built-in PS2 emulator, like they did on PS3 with CFW.

luca_29_bg

"ps4 security is crap enough that you don't need us for that"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! it's x86, i suppose this don't help!:p

Hasney

"ps4 security is crap enough that you don't need us for that"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! it's x86, i suppose this don't help!:p

I really hope they touch on why the security is bad. I think on PS3 it wasn't generating a random number when it should or something ridiculous?

The Wii conference they did about the password on the drives still kills me.

Darkangel

Custom firmware on PS4 would basically turn it into the modded Xbox 2.0.

I say bring it on.

On a related note, its kind of disappointing how the 360 never got a softmod even after a decade.

Vuze

I really hope they touch on why the security is bad. I think on PS3 it wasn't generating a random number when it should or something ridiculous?

The Wii conference they did about the password on the drives still kills me.
Yeah, I always think of this slide lol
42MJ7aZ.png

Pretty cool they got Linux working, wish they had an actual, longer talk or sth but w/e

E: Haha, beaten

Jockel

This is getting really interesting with all the stuff coming up for 3DS, WiiU and PS4.
A few slides of presentation is hardly a conference, though. Bummed that they didn't share more information.

Hasney

And what would you do with it that you can't do with a RPI2 nowadays?

Although I'm more interested in the technical security things for this specific conference, a Linux partition with Steam streaming would be really as would a USB loader. 2TB isn't enough for me now.

luca_29_bg

They're not showing an exploit.

Since they can patch the kernel and change the bootstrap, they probably could. But that would require someone else getting the same access as they have.

there are other people that have this exploit and are working on it...it's only a matter of time!

Hasney

Wait, what?

I can't find that one archived, but the chips for GameCube injected a password to authorise the disc as legit and it was 'matshita dvd-rom'. For Wii, that was still there, but they changed the password. It was now 'MATSHITA DVD-ROM:

Dragon

Banned
I can't find that one archived, but the chips for GameCube injected a password to authorise the disc as legit and it was 'matshita dvd-rom'. For Wii, that was still there, but they changed the password. It was now 'MATSHITA DVD-ROM:

GIF-Amused-Chuckle-Chuffed-Pleased-Point-Point-and-laugh-GIF.gif

Custom firmware on PS4 would basically turn it into the modded Xbox 2.0.

I say bring it on.

On a related note, its kind of disappointing how the 360 never got a softmod even after a decade.
I have read into this and despite a lot of trying in the search of a software exploit apparently the 360 was just really super secure - the only softmod that ever came up was the Shader Hack that only ran on a dashboard from 2006, required a flashed DVD drive and only ran Linux.

FrsDvl

This is kind of neat actually, what are the chances of turning a PS4 into a decent low budget steam machine eventually?

Top Bottom