• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Xbox One May Be Getting A New APU Based On AMD’s Polaris Architecture

PFD

http://wccftech.com/xbox-one-may-be...d-on-amds-polaris-architecture/#ixzz3w2TldL8T

We just received an interesting rumor (originated on the Overclock.net board) about Microsoft’s Xbox One. It seems like the console might be getting a revision based on AMD’s new Polaris GPU architecture (of which you can read a lot more here).

Several users have noticed the name Polaris when using their Xbox One console. In fact, there are tweets about this dating back to October 2014.

There's more info in the article. Thanks to Cyriades for the link

iMax

I'd be surprised if this generation of consoles didn't get faster performing APUs moving forward. I don't expect any of that extra power will go to games, though (fragmentation, innit) but you'd think they'd use it for extra/faster OS features.

if it happens, i assume it'll be to shrink the size of the xbox one for a slim model and reduce power usage. they're not gonna make a stronger xbox one (or anything that's noticeably stronger than the changes from psp > psp 3000, or n64 w/ ram pack)

rje

Its-Not-Going-to-Happen-Mean-Girls.gif

Seems way more likely that they're either talking about a new device shipping in the latter half of the year (NX?) than a console would get a major upgrade/revision mid-cycle.

MrFatCat

Banned
It would be extremely stupid to change GPU architecture in the middle of a console life cycle. What about previous Xbox owner? Compatibility? Price? Development kit? etc. There's a ton of problems. And i'm pretty much doubt the intelligence of the person who made this rumor

Banned
Cheaper, smaller, more power-efficient, but not more powerful. Theortetically if it does give off less heat they could clock the apu higher, but the difference probably won't be that huge.

Mike Golf

I honestly don't see this happening, it would be like Nintendo's release of the N3DS with it's more powerful CPU which to this day makes no sense to me when they should have iust held out for the NX or whatever is coming next to officially replace the 3DS. Who is going to buy another Xbone when the power bump is likely not going to be significant enough to showcase anything to convince a large portion of the market to buy an upgraded version. Especially if that's going to come at the cost of having games only optimized for it and not the original model, or more likely a reality where devs won't take the time and effort to optimize for it over the original Xbone aside from those funded by MS themselves.

Yes, I know people bought the N3DS but with the addition of a nub I think more people upgraded from an existing XL just for that more than the prospect of additional graphic fidelity.

Elios83

Die shrink of the APU is going to happen for both PS4 and Xbox One.
Changing the architecture to something more power efficient with the same specs might happen as well, changing specs and offering something more powerful is suicidal and Misterxmedia-like worthless speculation.
They're trying so hard to get back consumer confidence in the brand just to fuck all the current users who have supported them so far? Backlash would be epic.

There was just a rumor on Destructoid about a "lightweight" Xbox One being planned. I could see a Polaris based APU being used in that. The catch is the system described isn't compatible with Xbox One games. It's just a low power Apple TV competitor with Xbox Branding that can play games released through the Windows 10 store.

Cheaper, smaller, more power-efficient, but not more powerful. Theortetically if it does give off less heat they could clock the apu higher, but the difference probably won't be that huge.

Exactly this. This would be for a cheaper mini Xbox One model. The performance won't (and can't) go up.

Orayn

Likely scenario: Die shrink/update which is cooler/lower power while the retaining the exact same effective specs, just like last gen.

Unlikely but possible: Some sort of mid-gen upgrade like Sony talked about. It's definitely more possible this gen than last, but I'm still pretty doubtful about it.

novablue

Banned
Does anyone actually have any news when MS is going to pour resources for games on Windows Store, I know TR2 is coming. Also, its really funny they haven't ported the 18 games they publish on Steam onto Windows Store, lol.

Sony said they could make a turbo charged PS4. Anything is possible.

Now presenting the PS4i.

novablue

Banned
There was just a rumor on Destructoid about a "lightweight" Xbox One being planned. I could see a Polaris based APU being used in that. The catch is the system described isn't compatible with Xbox One games. It's just a low power Apple TV competitor with Xbox Branding that can play games released through the Windows 10 store.

So a PSTV like box that will actually be used and purchased?

cheezcake

It can't be a die shrink, you can't just completely change GPU microarchitecture and get a smaller but equivalently performing system.

Slide1.jpg

You get a smaller chip by switching to a smaller process node, switching architecture might net you a smaller chip but'll also change GPU performance and I don't see MS fragmenting the user base like that.

AmyS

No doubt, AMD is working on 14/16nm FinFET shrinks of Xbox One and PS4 APUs, but they'll undoubtedly have the same Southern Islands / GCN 1.0 architecture and Jaguar CPU cores.

When Microsoft moved to the Xbox 360 Slim in 2010, the Xenon CPU, Xenos GPU and EDRAM were combined onto a single 45nm chip (Vejle'), with no underlying architecture changes. Some of the clockspeeds within the new combined chip had to be throttled to keep them equal to all other 360 consoles, but nothing actually new other than less power usage, cooler, smaller cosole.

diaspora

Uh, how the shit would they switch over to a new architecture? How would that even work lmao.

This isn't the same thing as going to a smaller fuckin node.

I've been calling for a slim at this years E3. The xbone is so much bigger than the PS4, they can easily cut the size down alot. Incoming $249/279? Would be huge.

A new APU means MS consolidated their DX12 and dGPU work into Polaris. MisterxMedia (pbuh) was right this enitre time you scrubs. You doubted him.

Hawk269

I know it is not something that has been done in the past, but is it really unrealistic/impossible that a hardware maker could release an updated console that plays all the existing games and future games, but just at better resolution, frame rate or image quality?

I know some say that developers would hate it, but they currently are doing it with many PS4/Xbox One games having a resolution difference in many games. PC dev's have been doing it for ages, making games scalable based on the users PC configuration.

I am not saying this news is confirmation of that happening, but I am not sure if someone trying this would be really a bad thing and I am not sure if it would cause a segmentation per se since it would not have games specifically made for it, it would use existing games or upcoming games and the games would just run better.

Again, not saying this is happening, but just curious if one of the 2 big guns would have the balls to try it.

Vitacat

I know it is not something that has been done in the past, but is it really unrealistic/impossible that a hardware maker could release an updated console that plays all the existing games and future games, but just at better resolution, frame rate or image quality?

I know some say that developers would hate it, but they currently are doing it with many PS4/Xbox One games having a resolution difference in many games. PC dev's have been doing it for ages, making games scalable based on the users PC configuration.

I am not saying this news is confirmation of that happening, but I am not sure if someone trying this would be really a bad thing and I am not sure if it would cause a segmentation per se since it would not have games specifically made for it, it would use existing games or upcoming games and the games would just run better.

Again, not saying this is happening, but just curious if one of the 2 big guns would have the balls to try it.

I'd love to see that. I just got my XB1 and love it. A faster version next year that could close the resolution/fps gap with PS4 would be great. I own a PS4 as well but prefer the XB1 controller and community features. Right now I buy multiplats on PS4 though, because they generally perform best on PS4.

It's never been done before, but if Xbox really wants to convince people to buy multiplats on their platform, that would help a ton.

But yeah, it's probably just a daydream.

Top Bottom