• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData:PlaystationVR will be $400-600, estimates 38million VR devices sold in 2016

border

Analyst Predicts PSVR Price to be More Than PS4, Sell 1.9M in 2016

SuperData Virtual Reality Market Brief (free download)

In the console VR space, the report suggests that 1.9 million units will be sold, taking up 5 percent of the overall market. The only device listed in this area so far is PlayStation VR, which it estimates will cost at least $50 USD more than the $350 PlayStation 4, ranging between $400 – $600.

Estimated sales for all platforms:
Cardboard/Low-End Mobile - 27 million
PC VR (Oculus/Vive) - 6.6 million
High-End Mobile (GearVR) - 2.5 million
Playstation VR - 1.9 million

Seems like they are really optimistic about everything except PSVR and GearVR.

KorrZ

For $400-600 , yeah I imagine that's a good number for PSVR.

It's an unproven technology for the vast majority of people.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Don't you fucking dare go north of that $400 price point, Sony. Shit will turn ugly for you, guaranteed!

I can 100% guarantee that PSVR will be between $1 and $1000. You can take that to the bank.

It will also sell over 1 unit.

Banned
Everyone gets mad at me when I say it'll be $399 and cost more than a PS4 but I'm not saying it to be a dick or smart ass.

I genuinely feel in order for them to cram VR tech into a headset and processing unit and say "it'll cost as much as a new gaming platform" while breaking even or making a profit it'll at least be as expensive as the PS4 launch price.

Phil4000

Don't you fucking dare go north of that $400 price point, Sony. Shit will turn ugly for you, guaranteed!

I'd rather they release a $500 headset that provides an incredible experience than a poor $300-400 headset that has glaring shortcomings/
If the price is too high for most at first, you just need to be patient.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anything over $400 and this thing is DOA.

NateDrake

I can 100% guarantee that PSVR will be between $1 and $1000. You can take that to the bank.

It will also sell over 1 unit.

Your figures seem too optimistic for me to believe.

My interest in VR is minimal at this point, and I won't invest in the technology - especially from Sony who abandons ideas quickly (EyeToy, Move, etc...) - until I see great software. I like the idea of VR but the price will hold me back for the next few years as I'll wait for the technology to mature and better software release.

Drain You

400$ would be more than a fair price. Occulus plus a PC will cost far above. Show me some good games and I'll bite.

That seems optimistic even for PSVR. Still don't think the masses really want to spend hours at a time cut off from all external visual stimuli, no matter how great the initial wow factor.

*Googles cardboard VR*

DODOcase_VR5_1024x1024.jpg

Wait, someone tell me this is a joke, right?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'd rather they release a $500 headset that provides an incredible experience than a poor $300-400 headset that has glaring shortcomings/
And I'd rather they release that same quality headset that provides an incredible experience at $400 or lower. It's simple really; pricing it aggressively doesn't mean a "poor" headset with glaring shortcomings.

hesido

The hardware is pretty much set, so the cheaper it is, the better for us :)

VRMN

The only thing that makes me nervous is that Oculus has said they're selling the Rift at cost.

Is Sony in a position to sell below cost? Even assuming they're in a better supply chain position, which is a reach given Oculus has at least made these things before and has Facebook money behind it, would that make Sony's costs that much cheaper?

I don't understand how could cost less than a PS4.

Sure, its screen isn't as high a resolution as the Rift and Vive but it still needs a separate processing unit to help drive the 1920x1080 pixels at a non-nauseating refresh. That has to drive up the price.

On the plus side it looks like Sony doesn't have to include a remote or controller or mic/camera unit, which will help out.

I would guess $450-$500. Probably $500 now that we know what the Rift will cost.

Hyoukokun

*Googles cardboard VR*

DODOcase_VR5_1024x1024.jpg

Wait, someone tell me this is a joke, right?

Not at all. It's not intended as a 'serious' VR platform, but it's a pretty cool application of the basic principles of most modern VR HMDs (use lenses for wide field of vision, control for distortion via shaders in software). I've played with one of the ones that my coworkers brought back from Google I/O and found it pretty cool, though nowhere near as immersive as the various versions of the Rift I've played with.

SJRB

Gold Member
Estimated sales for all platforms:
Cardboard/Low-End Mobile - 27 million
PC VR (Oculus/Vive) - 6.6 million
High-End Mobile (GearVR) - 2.5 million
Playstation VR - 1.9 million

Guy must be pretty pissed at the 600 dollar / 700 euro price point of the Oculus now.

6.6 million, are you crazy?

Lasty95

They've clearly been waiting for Occulus to play their hand and I'm sure they'll be pretty happy at Sony towers tonight.

£379 and an announcement fairly soon I reckon.

I'm expected this to come in 2 SKUs when it's released:

Based unit - Just the VR headset and breakout box (For people who already own a camera and or move controllers)

Bundle - Headset (plus breakout box), PS 4 camera, 2 Move controllers.

I think the difference in cost between the two will be $100. But, after the Rift pricing this morning, I honestly have no idea of where the pricing will fall.

Not at all. It's not intended as a 'serious' VR platform, but it's a pretty cool application of the basic principles of most modern VR HMDs (use lenses for wide field of vision, control for distortion via shaders in software). I've played with one of the ones that my coworkers brought back from Google I/O and found it pretty cool, though nowhere near as immersive as the various versions of the Rift I've played with.

Oh, okay. That makes more sense then.

If Sony sends the PSVR out with a $399 price tag, it is dead on arrival for most people. Yes the hardcore will pick it up (and I will be one of them) but that price isn't something the average person will spend on an accessory to a console. I can see it doing well at $299... but seeing how the PS4 is almost $299 people may still hesitate at that price.

It will be interesting to see how Sony prices the PSVR and they did say it will be cheaper than the console. So I am going to take a fair guess at $199-$299. They will lost money but Sony isn't always about making money, but getting the product to the most people.

I'm not spending more than $399 MSRP but I hope for Sony's sake that's the highest they're considering to go.

Those sales prospects are awfully out of whack with reality. Sales are going to be low for these things for the next couple of years.

neptunes

I don't understand how could cost less than a PS4.

Sure, its screen isn't as high a resolution as the Rift and Vive but it still needs a separate processing unit to help drive the 1920x1080 pixels at a non-nauseating refresh. That has to drive up the price.

On the plus side it looks like Sony doesn't have to include a remote or controller or mic/camera unit, which will help out.

I would guess $450-$500. Probably $500 now that we know what the Rift will cost.
There's no reason for Sony to sell this at a loss. No matter how much they'd like to increase its adoption.

No use pricing this for masses right out the gate. Especially for new and unproven as technology like vr.

Right now the technology is aimed at enthusiasts and early adopters.

DieH@rd

Banned
Random analyst ~"tales from my ass" projections, lets wait out for official info.

I have zero confidence into report that PSVR will sell much less than Oculus&Vive in 2016.

$400 seems realistic but I hope they go lower than that. C'mon, Sony, you're the hardware leader right now.

If they priced it at $300 for the headset and made a PS4 bundle at $600 it would be a great way to market the thing. They can say that for the price of an Oculus headset alone, you can have a full VR setup without the expensive PC.

Phil4000

Anyone thinking the PSVR will come in anywhere within the $250-$350 range will be severely disappointed. This a base $400 device, mark my words, and quote this in the future.

Top Bottom