• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency TV Series Greenlit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Wasn't there already a BBC series?

Two. A radio serial that was a fairly direct adaptation of the books starring Harry Enfield as Dirk and a TV series that was more 'inspired by' the books starring Stephen Mangan as Dirk.

I have to admit, I rather liked both. I wonder if this is just having found funding for a third series of the TV venture, or if it's another new production.

Stephen Mangan may be tied up with Houdini and Doyle these days. Depends how demanding it is.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Two. A radio serial that was a fairly direct adaptation of the books starring Harry Enfield as Dirk and a TV series that was more 'inspired by' the books starring Stephen Mangan as Dirk.

I have to admit, I rather liked both. I wonder if this is just having found funding for a third series of the TV venture, or if it's another new production.

Another new production from the context of the tweet.

Makonero

Dirk Gently is one of the only books I've ever put down, went "What just happened?!" and had to read really closely to even understand basic plot details.

And I love them.

Being confusing is part of the charm.

I have to admit, I rather liked both.

Yeah, the Stephen Mangan one was quite fun - and I enjoyed rewatching it as it got a repeat recently. Shame it didn't continue.

I'll be cautious but interested in this new series.

MCN

Banned
Dirk Gently is one of the only books I've ever put down, went "What just happened?!" and had to read really closely to even understand basic plot details.

And I love them.

Being confusing is part of the charm.

So much this. And the weird thing is, they do still manage to make a strange kind of sense when you reach the end.

Mindlog

Weird. I read Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul, but not the first one somehow. I checked the first one out of a library a long time ago. Did I never read it? Do I still have it somewhere? Did the book become fundamentally fed up with my inattentiveness?

Should be a quick read. Will pick it up soon as long as it's not too heavy.

Piichan

Banned
Love the books. Maybe this series will try handling the unfinished Salmon of Doubt? Looking forward to it.

I also remember there being another BBC pilot episode of Dirk Gently a couple of years ago, but it never turned into a series. It was pretty good.

Edit: Wait, the Stephen Mangan pilot turned into an actual series?

mclem

I also remember there being another BBC pilot episode of Dirk Gently a couple of years ago, but it never turned into a series. It was pretty good.

Edit: Wait, the Stephen Mangan pilot turned into an actual series?

Well, yes, but a very short one; three episodes.

King_Moc

Banned
The Stephen Mangan show was really good. Would be great if he was in this. But good to see that it's being done either way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Elijah Wood To Star In ‘Dirk Gently’ BBC America Series From Max Landis

Dirk Gently is a comedic thriller that follows the bizarre adventures of eccentric “holistic” detective Dirk Gently and his reluctant assistant Todd (Wood), as they wend their way through one big, seemingly insane mystery a season, crossing unlikely paths with a bevy of wild and sometimes dangerous characters, each episode landing them a few random steps closer to uncovering the truth.

Strax

Max Landis ‏@Uptomyknees 1m
Dirk will of course be played by a brit.
Even though, if you know anything about him, you know he isn't British.

Strax

Dirk Gently’: Samuel Barnett To Play Title Role In Max Landis’ BBC America Series

Samuel-Barnett-008.jpg

tomtom94

Never heard of him, but he has a good CV, so, sure, whatever. Going to be difficult to shake the image of Mangan as Dirk Gently.

Will keep an eye on the reviews for this one, but it's not exactly a day one must-watch.

Strax

http://deadline.com/2016/04/dirk-ge...ead-max-landis-bbc-america-series-1201734532/

Hannah Marks is set as the female lead opposite Elijah Wood and Samuel Barnett in Dirk Gently, BBC America’s eight-episode series based on the cult Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency novels by Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy author Douglas Adams.

Written by Max Landis, Dirk Gently is a comedic thriller that follows the bizarre adventures of eccentric “holistic” detective Dirk Gently (Barnett) and his reluctant assistant Todd (Wood), as they wend their way through one big, seemingly insane mystery a season, crossing unlikely paths with a bevy of wild and sometimes dangerous characters, each episode landing them a few random steps closer to uncovering the truth.

Marks will play Todd’s sister Amanda Brotzman, a former rebellious punk and fun gal, now sick, sidelined by a genetic disorder. Todd and Amanda are deeply connected.

hannah-marks.jpg

WIKI

Production started - a ton of new cast added.

http://www.bbcwpressroom.com/bbc-am...e-agency-starring-elijah-wood-samuel-barnett/

Vancouver, BC – May 24, 2016 – BBC AMERICA announced today the start of production on its highly anticipated new series, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. Penned by Max Landis and from the producers of The Walking Dead, the series is a comedic thriller that follows the bizarre adventures of eccentric “holistic” detective Dirk Gently (Samuel Barnett) and his reluctant assistant Todd (Elijah Wood). This season, Dirk and Todd wend their way through one big, seemingly insane mystery, crossing unlikely paths with a bevy of wild and sometimes dangerous characters, each episode landing them a few random steps closer to uncovering the truth. The series is an adaptation of Douglas Adams’ (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy) wildly successful comic novels, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency, and is set in the unexpected world of the hyper, absurd, eponymous detective. Filming in Vancouver runs through August and the series premieres Fall 2016 on BBC AMERICA

The latest additions to the cast include: Jade Eshete as Farah Black, the athletic, self-doubting, bad-ass, hyper competent but utterly anxious Security Officer to a billionaire; Mpho Koaho as Ken, a nerdy, friendly-faced tech trapped in increasingly difficult and bloody circumstances; Fiona Dourif as Bart Curlish, the terrifying, homicidal, deranged, fearless and nearly invincible self-identified “Holistic Assassin”; Michael Eklund as Martin, violent ring leader of the Rowdy 3 with an inexplicable sensitive side; Miguel Sandoval as Colonel Scott Riggins, beleaguered CIA head of a defunct secret bureau investigating the paranormal; Dustin Milligan as Sergeant Hugo Friedkin, Riggin’s subordinate, unpredictable, wildly ambitious and dangerous moron; and Aaron Douglas as Gordon Rimmer, an enigmatic loser with an impressive series of horrible secrets. Also joining the inaugural season is Neil Brown Jr. as Estevez and Richard Schiff as Zimmerfield, missing person’s detectives operating increasingly off book as they follow the trail of a complex and mystifying case. Additional casting for the series will continue over the course of production. ‎

Tregard

Soothsayer
So Macduff isn't in this version? And no Mangan?

Gah, I'll give it a try, but it's going to take a miracle for it to stand up to the BBC Four series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom