• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider's garbage combat

Anon67

I picked up RotTR from my library this weekend and I noticed that the camera controls felt a bit off. I said, okay, it shouldn't be a big deal, given that it's a single player game.

But holy shit wtf. The sluggish camera controls are totally garbage for the combat in this game. I can't aim quickly and precisely in this game while I can in basically every other game (in either 30 or 60 FPS). There seems to be some sort of delay or a huge deadzone on the right stick causing input delay or something similar (because of bad Vsync?) How can I aim people in the head when I have to deal with unresponsive camera controls? WTF, the game is pretty awesome with the tombs and the explorations, but when it comes to combat...it's awful because of the camera. This reminds me of playing CSGO with a controller along with really bad VSync.

I had a similar problem in Halo 5 but that was basically alleviated when they added an option to reduce the massive inner dead zones. I have had no problems with any other games I've played recently or in the past. The responsiveness on the last Tomb Raider on PC was incredible.

Has anyone else noticed this? How is this not a bigger issue given the combat is somewhat a large component of the game?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No idea why no one in the reviews mentioned this. Everyone in the OT noticed it though.

Just goes to show how fucking clueless video game reviews are nowadays.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It was called out by Digital Foundry. The game has very large input lag. Somewhat humoroursly, the X360 version of the game has much less input lag than XB1 version does.

icespide

Banned
I wouldn't say its garbage but there is definitely noticeable input lag in the xbox one version of RotTR.

some folks are more sensitive to it than others

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Input lag is a real thing. On 360 its not there though, or extremely reduced. Hopefully the PC an PS4 ports don't suffer from it(which i doubt cause its Nixxes da gawd)

Fawk Nin

Yeah I basically said the exact same thing in the review thread. Drop the combat difficulty to easy and the aim assist helps a bit. The rest of the game is strong enough to hold up against this but the combat is a joke with the input lag.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This title is misleading. You're not talking about the combat, you're talking about the input lag that effects the XBO version of the game only.

MIMF

Digital foundry spotted this when comparing both versions of the game, ironically if I remember well the 360 had much better aiming.

dugdug

Banned
I like how everyone seems to agree that the controls/combat/story/characters are all shit.

But, it still managed to appear on a few GotY lists. I'll never understand.

Digital Foundry found that...killed any interest in the Xbone verison. After UC3, I swore to never play one of these TPS with trash aiming/camera controls again.

Pray for Nixxes and the PC version

HockeyDud

Neo Member
Noticed it when I reviewed the game. I pretty much ran through the combat sections just to get through them. The input lag was dreadful, worse than the first game. Rockstar or Epic Games needs to show every developer how to do third person shooting controls ha.

Zojirushi

Yeah this is a must-fix for me for the PC version otherwise...boy would that be disappointing.

Also pretty much agree on reviewers being fucking clueless nowadays, like seriously NOBODY noticed this? What the fuck guys. Is this Uncharted 3 all over again?

Input lag is the only real issue here, and if you play stealth it's not game breaking thankfully. I also find stealth more rewarding tbh.

Aeqvitas

I'm not sure if it is a bug or something. I played the game more than 50 hours, and tried really hard to replicate the problem but couldn't. The game registers very small movements on the sticks perfectly fine with me. Tried with both standard and elite controller. I actually enjoyed the combat very much. Had no problem getting headshot 90% of the time, and that is before I got the arrow skills that auto do it for you. It makes me sad that there seem to be problems with it for some people. Hopefully the issue gets addressed by the devs.

There is noticeable input lag, and it severely affects the gunplay. The fact that absolutely none of the reviews mention this makes me think why I even take reviews seriously anymore.

QaaQer

No idea why no one in the reviews mentioned this. Everyone in the OT noticed it though.

Just goes to show how fucking clueless video game reviews are nowadays.

Doubtful.

Lots of access to the creative team and having super likable pr guys pays dividends sometimes. Crystal dynamics is pretty good at that sort of thing.

Note: I'm not saying corruption or that the game is bad, just that it is harder to shit on 'friends' in public than strangers.

Never really picked up on anything like that. Then again, I tend to only be aware of technical stuff when it's dramatically bad. Combat was fun, varied, and appropriately stylish.

Doubtful.

Lots of access to the creative team and having super likable pr guys pays dividends sometimes. Crystal dynamics is pretty good at that sort of thing.

Note: I'm not saying corruption or that the game is bad, just that it is harder to shit on 'friends' in public than strangers.
Uhh considering many reviewers still can't notice performance issues or call things like Unity "occasional slowdown" I don't think it's a bias/corruption/whatever issue. Many probably just literally did not notice.

KaYotiX

Banned
Never really noticed it much, but i have tinkered with dead zones on my controllers for other fps games so that may have had something to do with it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Noticed it when I reviewed the game. I pretty much ran through the combat sections just to get through them. The input lag was dreadful, worse than the first game. Rockstar or Epic Games needs to show every developer how to do third person shooting controls ha.
Rockstar?

Jesus Christ man.

Adaren

I'm not sure if it is a bug or something. I played the game more than 50 hours, and tried really hard to replicate the problem but couldn't. The game registers very small movements on the sticks perfectly fine with me.

The complaint doesn't seem to be with the deadzone, but rather the responsiveness. Like push the stick -> wait a beat -> camera moves.

Rockstar or Epic Games needs to show every developer how to do third person shooting controls ha.

Rockstar?

Jesus Christ man.

Relevant: What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

zsynqx

There is noticeable input lag, and it severely affects the gunplay. The fact that absolutely none of the reviews mention this makes me think why I even take reviews seriously anymore.

None of the reviews mentioned the broken aiming Uncharted 3 had at launch so not really surprising that they wouldn't notice this.

I really hope they fix this for PC/PS4

Piggus

Has anyone figured out if it's a rendering pipeline issue (ie. Killzone 2) or just a deadzone issue? 60 fps on PC should help at least.

jem0208

Say what?

Some of the worst handling third person games there are come from Rockstar. GTA IV onward are just so, so bad...

Edit: That said I've heard good things about MP3 which I never played. GTA IV, GTA V and RDR are terrible though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Say what?

Some of the worst handling third person games there are come from Rockstar. GTA IV onward are just so, so bad...

I think at one point GTAIV had the worst lag of any game that gen.

Top Bottom