• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC shipments showed record decline in Q4 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

viHuGi

Banned
IDC's data shows record-breaking 10.6 per cent drop, with Apple the only top five manufacturer making significant gains

Global PC shipments dropped again in Q4 2015, and by the biggest margin since market research firm IDC started tracking the data more than 20 years ago.

PC shipments reached 71.9 million units in Q4 of calendar 2015, according to IDC, a record year-on-year drop of 10.6 per cent. Prior to this, the biggest quarterly drop was 9.8 per cent, recorded in 2013. This year was also the first since 2008 in which total shipments came in below 300 million units.

More at the link :

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-01-13-pc-shipments-showed-record-decline-in-q4-2015

Apple is the only one showing growth with macs lol.

gartner_4Q15_global.jpg

Hyun Sai

Smartphones and tablets strike again. This bit is interesting :
IDC noted that sales of "detachable tablets" are recorded separately, despite the category having more in common with traditional PCs than a standard tablet. Had those sales been added to IDC's Q4 numbers, the decline would have narrowed to 5 per cent.

Layell

Does this even take into account people buying individual parts and building a PC? If not then this might as well be an off topic thread.

It seems like this only includes prebuilt PCs. From gaming perspective, I'm not sure how big prebuilt PCs are. I'd imagine most gamers build their PCs from parts.

GHG

Gold Member
Does this even take into account people buying individual parts and building a PC? If not then this might as well be an off topic thread.

No. This is sales for the generic pre-assembled bloatware filled shitboxes that some people chose to buy.

Deku Tree

Lots of people hate on where apple is going with their computer design. But it is amazing to see them growing their PC business in such a declining market.

Shari

What is the relation to gaming? I think you posted this on the wrong forum.

PC gaming is a very small part of pc shipments and its definitelly not relevant on your usual companies for manufactured pc.

Will it be relevant if I post a chart about TV selling records even if a ridiculous amount of them are bought for gaming?

mxgt

Banned
It seems like this only includes prebuilt PCs. From gaming perspective, I'm not sure how big prebuilt PCs are. I'd imagine most gamers build their PCs from parts.

Usually absolute shit - at least the ones you can walk into a shop and buy. Full of bloat, no dedicated graphics, etc.

iNvid02

With the stellar 2016 PS4 lineup this was only inevitable.

a friend asked me what type of pc he should get his son for school, i told him not to waste time with PC as its clearly on its way out, he listened and settled for a 1TB PS4 instead, now his son enjoys the best games and uses google docs with the PS4 web browser

Falk

that puzzling face
No. This is sales for the generic pre-assembled bloatware filled shitboxes that some people chose to buy.

When you work in a small-medium-sized company and you have to set up a dozen of them, it's easier to just get a slightly bloated budget approved, get them shipped in assembled, then format and reinstall the OS.

(but yeah, outside of bulk ordering, never touched a prebuilt system in over a decade)

(gaming laptops don't count)

I suspect this is mainly due to mainstream users who don't really play pc games (with the exception of stuff like Facebook and Candy Crush). I doubt this will have much of an effect on the pc gaming market.

In addition to people using more tablets and smartphones, PCs simply last longer than they used to. Even gaming PCs last for years and years now, so PCs for office use (which is the vast majority) will naturally last even longer. If you want to look at numbers that are actually relevant to PC gaming, you need to look at Nvidia and AMD discreet graphic card numbers. Everything else is just buried in noise.

Blitzhex

Not surprising Apple is growing in the pre-built market. They're overpriced, but I'd still buy another Apple laptop for the office than those Dell/IBMs.

TBiddy

Which would be the entire business sector. The gaming sector, compared to that, is pretty small I'd guess.

Also, attributing the decline in PC sales (especially the pre-built) to the 2016 lineup of the PS4? What? Seriously?

Velurian

So wait, every quarter ~ 80 milj pc-s are sold.
Ofc these are pre-built pc-s we are talking about and only a small margin of those are gaming orientated.

Not a very useful survey from a gaming perspective then is it?
GPU sales would be more useful + gaming laptops as well..

Soooooo, everyone building comps? That's what I did.

no

they just aren't buying PCs. They're buying tablets (and by tablets I mean ipads) and macs. Or just using their phones.

That's about it. And people are absolutely kidding themselves if they think most pc gaming isn't done on prebuilt pcs. You think those zillions of Dota/LoL/etc players are playing on PCs they built? lulz

TheAssist

Who would have thought. Overpriced, good for nothing PC are in steady decline.

These prebuild PC have no purpose for most people.
You work PC is .. well at work. If you have to work at different places you buy a laptop.
If you want to game, you build your own PC or go to a specialized dealer that isnt listed in this chart.
If you want multimedia/entertainment you buy a tablet/console/set top box/smart TV etc.

Also those PC are usually build in a way that makes them good at nothing. Hey we have 16 GB RAM and a high end CPU. The GPU is shit though. Tough luck. But hey you can upgrade for an absurd amount of money!

Pre-built PCs/laptops make a big share of the PC game market. The majority of Steam users still on dual core and mobile GPUs are some of the most popular display adapters among Steam users.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?sort=pct

But how relevant are they really? Meaning how much games are actually being played on these devices. How much money is being made with people running these systems? Maybe they are just secondary for playing DotA while traveling or I dont know.

shandy706

Which would be the entire business sector. The gaming sector, compared to that, is pretty small I'd guess.

Also, attributing the decline in PC sales (especially the pre-built) to the 2016 lineup of the PS4? What? Seriously?

Business are buying PS4s to do their spreadsheets now. You didn't' know that?

All of our company's systems are custom builds, because I built them. Ha

Our engineers need a ton of RAM and good GPUs, so I hooked everyone in the office up.

no

they just aren't buying PCs. They're buying tablets (and by tablets I mean ipads) and macs. Or just using their phones.

That's about it. And people are absolutely kidding themselves if they think most pc gaming isn't done on prebuilt pcs. You think those zillions of Dota/LoL/etc players are playing on PCs they built? lulz
Noooooo, I'm just making a point that this doesn't cover PC's people are building. Which is an important thing to point out for PC gaming discussion.

GHG

Gold Member

Many modern businesses now choose to provide their employees with dockable laptops rather than getting desktops for a whole host of reasons. Hence the rapid decline.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
GabeN shouldn't have killed the daily/flash sales

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Of course, people have woken up and seen that we have the best lineup.

Draft

Wait. 300 million units a year? That can't be right.

PCs sell 10x the PS4 LTD in just one single year? And that happens every year? Wow, I knew PC sold better than consoles but these are shocking figures. I'm worried about the console industry.

Shari

PCs sell 10x the PS4 LTD in just one single year? And that happens every year? Wow, I knew PC sold better than consoles but these are shocking figures. I'm worried about the console industry.

Dead.

So perfectly inline with the thread quality it just blows me away. Kudos.

Kyougar

You are doing this wrong.
300 Million pre built PC'S a year? only a fraction are gaming PC's
10% Decline in PreBuilt PC's? PC Gaming is dying, PS4 is a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom