• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just 99 Xbox Ones were sold in Japan last week

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Xbox One reportedly didn't even manage to sell 100 units in Japan last week.

In the same seven days that saw 25,000 PS4s and 15,000 Wii Us shifted, Microsoft's console achieved just ​99​ sales, according to figures from Japanese sales tracking company Media Create (via Kotaku).

Source: http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...source=tw&utm_medium=dsuk&utm_campaign=twdsuk

Welp.

xTiTny36KTlO33Cfle.gif

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not surprised. Do they even have a marketing presence there anymore? I thought they basically gave up after they made an effort with the 360 and didn't make a dent in the market.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Is MS still officially selling these or are they imports?

Curious to see what Scalebound will do for the Japanese market, considering it's an Kamiya game; i haven't truly followed the game much becuase I really enjoyed seeing all the release footage. If I'm misguided, spite me, but is there a particular reason he went with Xbox instead of Sony considering how heavily influence the game is with Japanese tropes?

In any event...99 X1's is pathetic :/

Shenmue

Banned
Would Tales of Vesperia 2, Blue Dragon 2 and Lost Oddysey 2 help?

xTiTny36KTlO33Cfle.gif

With their global userbase they would have to basically fund all of those games 100% and in the case of a Vesperia likely have to throw out a huge truckload of cash to cover lost PlayStation sales.

Madness

And yet people still ask like crazy why Microsoft doesn't do more to get niche jrpgs, why it treats Japan like a tier 2 country. They've never done well there, even with exclusives like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Games like Scalebound still won't move Xbox One there. I would bet next console, they probably won't even launch there until well after NA/EU/East Asia (China, Singapore, SK) etc.

The games Japanese gamers want won't really be on a Microsoft console, and if they are, there won't be enough for most to justify a purchase.

Finaj

Curious to see what Scalebound will do for the Japanese market, considering it's an Kamiya game; i haven't truly followed the game much becuase I really enjoyed seeing all the release footage. If I'm misguided, spite me, but is there a particular reason he went with Xbox instead of Sony considering how heavily influence the game is with Japanese tropes?

It won't do anything. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey barely made a dent with 360 sales and the Xbox One is even less popular.

Warxard

Banned

Scalebound will bomb. Nothing new.

Cess007

I'm curious, which is the lowest tracked value ever tracked for a console? I imagined before it was not worthy to track anything below 100, but it seems they still track stuff down to double digits

evilr

Banned
Microsoft created this problem themselves. Europe is a similar story. Don't make a product entirely US-centric and attempt to sell it worldwide.

It's like trying to sell basketball globally. Lots of US customers would be interested, everyone else not so much.

At least PlayStation is diverse and is messaged globally. They are doing a vastly superior job at that.

Scalebound will bomb. Nothing new.

Guaranteed.

Basketball is popular in Asia. You would know that if you followed the sport.

Same rule applies regardless. I bet it isn't as popular as it is in US...

Warxard

Banned
This isn't a surprising development if you have peaked your head into any Media Create thread in the last year and a half.

It's common sense at this point. No one outside of the U.S. And UK gives a damn about the Xbox One, and even the latter is starting to give less of a fuck.

Microsoft created this problem themselves. Europe is a similar story. Don't make a product entirely US concentrated and attempt to sell it worldwide.

It's like trying to sell basketball globally. Lots of US customers would be interested, everyone else not so much.

At least PlayStation is diverse and is messaged globally. They are doing a vastly superior job at that.

Basketball is popular in Asia. You would know that if you followed the sport.

bengraven

So will the Xbox 4 not even try to break through after three failed attempts?

and also are they region free so I can buy a cheap Xbox One...

Shenmue

Banned
And yet people still ask like crazy why Microsoft doesn't do more to get niche jrpgs, why it treats Japan like a tier 2 country. They've never done well there, even with exclusives like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Games like Scalebound still won't move Xbox One there. I would bet next console, they probably won't even launch there until well after NA/EU/East Asia (China, Singapore, SK) etc.

The games Japanese gamers want won't really be on a Microsoft console, and if they are, there won't be enough for most to justify a purchase.

Releasing a couple of JRPGs and moneyhatting another one does not equal supporting the Japanese market. MS always thinks there is some sort of quick fix that a quick infusion of cash can accomplish. It doesn't work like that. That's why they are not just getting slaughtered in Japan but the rest of the world outside of the US as well.

Ray Down

Banned

Platinum does what they are hired to do no matter what, they are usually pretty quick, efficient and probably don't cost much.

Scalebound will bomb like any higher tier Platinum project that is not MGR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom