• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umihara Kawase coming back on Steam thanks to Degica games !

Eolz

Great news!

DegiGames (Steam publisher of games like Darius Burst, Crimzon Clover, A-Train, RPGMaker, etc) is bringing back Umihara Kawase!
https://twitter.com/Zerochan/status/691775538357243904
H4i7eow.png

The story of a girl and her pink backpack zipping around fish-infested levels by means of the bouncy physics of her fishing pole disappeared due to publisher bankruptcy, but Degica is riding to the rescue and putting it back on Steam effective January 28.

For those keeping track at home, this is about the hundredth incarnation of Umihara Kuwase. It started out on SNES, got a sequel in the form of Umihara Kuwase Shun on PS1, the sequel’s port got butchered on PSP, and finally found a second round of redemption on DS when the original producer got involved again. The third and most recent game was Sayonara Umihara Kuwase Plus, and all three games had gotten PC versions published in the US through Steam. When the games disappeared it looked like they’d be gone for good, but thankfully it only ended up being a short vacation rather than a complete loss. Customers who had bought the games already will still own the relisted versions, and those who never got a chance at swinging through one of the trickiest physics-based platformers now have a chance to correct the problem. It’s disturbing to see games simply disappear with no way for a new audience to access them legally, and it’s great to see this won’t be the case for at least one series.

Hopefully more people will get to try this awesome series this time!
Here's a video of what you could accomplish, and a great episode from GCCX for the SNES game.

Crayons

Banned
Good, I didn't want to pay full price for those games before they were taken down. I'd gladly buy them at a fair price

Ramune

Went to inquire to Humble Bundle about a refund for not getting keys to the Umihara bundle and they mentioned that the games were going to a new publisher. Good old Digica to the rescue!

Deft Beck

I am glad that a publisher came forward to republish these games. Maybe we will also see the rumored Code of Princess port?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Very nice! Degica has been working wonders lately! I'd suggest anyone who likes a challenging platformer with swinging mechanics to pick up these games it's really fufilling learning the swing physics and getting through some of the more tough sections.

Man, Degica still manages to surprise me. They just need to get Artdink's games localized and I'll be mega satisfied. Above all it's good to know you can still get this platformer trilogy legally worldwide.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I thought I heard this port had some issues or was somehow inferior. Is that true?

I haven't really had any major problems with it. The only thing is Sayonara lacks resolution options and runs on vita res by default which Durante added a profile for on GeDoSaTo to get around it.
The port of the first game goes fullscreen at 1080i on my monitor for some reason too but I just used borderless gaming to get around that. I have no idea if Shun has any problems though since I haven't gotten to it.
Other than those problems so far they've been pretty good ports.

Durante

Neat!

I haven't really had any major problems with it. The only thing is Sayonara lacks resolution options and runs on vita res by default which Durante added a profile for on GeDoSaTo to get around it.
It actually doesn't run at Vita res, it runs at sub-vita res. (Presumably the same sub-Vita res it runs at on Vita)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Neat!

It actually doesn't run at Vita res, it runs at sub-vita res. (Presumably the same sub-Vita res it runs at on Vita)
Ah yeah it's been a bit so the details went a bit fuzzy also thanks for fixing up a game I love. :)

Where did you hear of this Code of Princess port??

It was in the SteamDB leak and since Agatsuma Entertainment was the pub for the 3DS version it was assumed they were working on bringing it before going defunct.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I thought I heard this port had some issues or was somehow inferior. Is that true?

They're extremely bare-bones ports made as a last-minute attempt to bring in some revenue, so they're lacking pretty much all the options/settings you'd expect a PC port to have, but they run fine and are perfectly playable.

I wish they would put it on GOG or humble bundle so I can get a second copy that is DRM free.

It has to happen eventually, at least for the older games that got ported over. They'd be perfect for that.

Anyways, I wasn't expecting them to be relisted so soon! This is pretty awesome, can't wait to give the latest one a shot.

nded

Good to hear. I've been kind of interested in these games since I watched the SNES one on Game Center CX.

Samemind

I am glad that a publisher came forward to republish these games. Maybe we will also see the rumored Code of Princess port?

Wait a sec. I've seen this Code of Princess thing pop up a few times but it's only just clicked for me, does this mean we could actually get a version of the game where the online PvP isn't a lagfest? I pray it does, because I was really sad that the content you could only unlock by topping the leaderboards was basically not worth going for on 3DS.

Eolz

Update from Destructoid, since it was supposed to be re-released on the 28th:
Umihara Kawase will "hopefully" return to Steam "this week," Degica told Destructoid today.
(...)
Unfortunately, that hasn't happened just yet. Degica missed its planned release on Thursday, leaving us to prompt the publisher and ask what happened. According to a representative for the company, "Transferring ownership rights from one developer to another is not as simple a process as we expected from Steam. A mixture of technical oddities and legal paperwork slowed it down."

Top Bottom