• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kristi Leskinen " No gamer in the world deserves an X-games Gold Medal"

rrc1594

https://twitter.com/KristiLeskinen/status/693863192900927488

If you didn't know Halo 5 had a Tournament at X-Games Aspen. Where the winning team Evil Geniuses won Gold medals. Do you think Gamers should win Gold medals at X-Games. Is it extreme enough? She isn't saying they shouldn't win medals just not at X-Games.

CaBBDhYVAAAV7XX.png:large

Eusis

Now that I see the medal I'm left wondering if she meant no one deserved to get such an awful looking medal.

Illucio

Banned
I don't care about the X-Games or regular Sports in general. To be honest I don't think Gaming has any place at the X-Games, but they have to gain viewers somehow.

jem0208

I loved watching the tourney at X-Games and the publicity it must have given to competitive Halo and eSports in general is awesome.

However video games don't belong at X-Games. It'd be like streaming a chess match during EVO...

Corpekata

Banned
I mean, didn't all the X-games sort of things rise up out of not being "real sports", that sort of thing? Even her twitter bio says "action sports." Seems a bit goofy to care when your career is based off the offshoot of the "real" thing as well. It's not exactly some high prestige thing.

It's a tournament with snowboarding and snow skis? A tournament shunned by the mainstream sports community but hey they found something they can shun too!

The cycle repeats itself. It's not like they're pretending theyre athletes and why does X-games have to be just for "athletes"

gnexus

Microsoft should just moneyhat the X-games now and call it the Xbox-games featuring xtreme sports.

All the winners get exclusive gold medals for their XBL avatars.

I mean, didn't all the X-games sort of things rise up out of not being "real sports", that sort of thing? Even her twitter bio says "action sports." Seems a bit goofy to care when your career is based off the offshoot of the "real" thing as well. It's not exactly some high prestige thing.

I think the distinction she is making is more born out of the x-games being about athletic and acrobatic ability, rather than just the typical competitive angle of other sports.

Scumpi has two. Only person in eSports to have 2 afaik. I think they do, best of what they do. Not like anyone can go out there and win one, it takes serious commitment and time. Might as well say they don't deserve money for playing games either while she's at it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
hey remember when the x-games used to get laughed at by real athletes for like decades because they were basically a bunch of venice beach rejects

Madness

Her mentions are blowing up though, and there are a few calling her 'dumb bitch', as it gains traction, I'm sure the real insults will start. Remember how many death threats and shit Kimmel got after he insulted gamers/eSports?

I mean if she wants only extreme sports at X-Games, that's her opinion and prerogative. But the reason X-Games hosted this is to capture a new demographic, the 12-36 year old gamers. X-Games can continue without video games, and video games/eSports will continue without X-Games, but it seems like a great fit for both. If not, I think X-Games has more to lose. There's a greater audience for people to watch Halo, CoD, CS than those willing to watch snowmobile tricks etc.

I loved the hell out of the Halo X-Games tournament, and I agree with her, Pro Gamers are not Athletes. But that doesn't mean their determination, wanting to learn, grow and succeed is any different. Winning a Halo championship after spending ten years playing everyday, practicing nonstop means just as much as it does to the guy who was snowboarding as a kid and wins halfpipe.

jem0208

Since when has downhill skiing etc. not been considered a sport?

It's a tournament with snowboarding and snow skis? A tournament shunned by the mainstream sports community but hey they found something they can shun too!

The cycle repeats itself. It's not like they're pretending theyre athletes and why does X-games have to be just for "athletes"

What? Again, how is snowboard/ski racing "shunned"?

On one hand, video games aren't "X-treme"...but on the other hand the idea of the X-games is about as 90s/early 2000s as you can get so clearly they need something to get people to watch.

UnrealEck

I agree with her. Video games are completely out of place in the X-games.
Funny that the gamers are calling her the salty one on her Twitter.

Corpekata

Banned
Since when has downhill skiing etc. not been considered a sport?

What? Again, how is snowboard/ski racing "shunned"?

Most of the activities, not all, were pretty loudly derided when the X-games launched. The events were mocked by many sports journalists and "real" athletes.

Just look at the beginning of this article http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1873166,00.html

That details some of the early reaction from the established spaces.

Are you young? It's been ridiculed as gimmicks and for wasted rejects for years. I'm talking of course of all the tricks and jumps. And all the pushback when they showed up in the olympics

I'm almost certain that you weren't alive when ski racing was introduced to the olympics.

Valkrai

I agree with her. Video games are completely out of place in the X-games.
Funny that the gamers are calling her the salty one on her Twitter.

I know right. I really like esports but this is so strange for video games to be at X Games. (They also had CSGO last year instead of Halo)

Top Bottom