• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Dragon Quest Builders will not get multiplayer, maybe for the sequel

That power of Dragon Quest in Japan. Don't even need to release a game or have more than a weeks worth of sales data for them to already be planning a sequel.

Arzehn

I rather they just have 1 game and constantly keep updating it with DLC, both free and paid. Not really a fan of this sequel approach.

kuroneco

This game is good as itself without the multiplayer, it is much more story driven and purpose focused.

It plays just like an action RPG.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'll buy it if it comes west but this is a big missed opportunity. The IP has much potential and online in a game like this only gives it longevity.

Based on impressions it's solid regardless but online would do nothing but help.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I rather they just have 1 game and constantly keep updating it with DLC, both free and paid. Not really a fan of this sequel approach.

Well, unlike other building games, this one only costs ¥7,800, so I can understand why they'd want to make a sequel instead of updating the existing game.

StereoVsn

Well, unlike other building games, this one only costs ¥7,800, so I can understand why they'd want to make a sequel instead of updating the existing game.
How much do other building games go for? The whole point of say Minecratt is it's constantly evolving vs having Minecraft 4: Return to the Mine (and craft).

Arzehn

I was thinking the exact same in regards to the pricing. Makes much more sense now. It was never planned for this to have Minecraft type legs. Good for them I guess. Saw this coming, just not so soon. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How much do other building games go for? The whole point of say Minecratt is it's constantly evolving vs having Minecraft 4: Return to the Mine (and craft).
Dragon Quest Builders costs about three to five times what other building games that get infinite updates do.

My original statement was meant to be satirical. Sorry, that probably wasn't apparent.

Shouta

DQB2 with multiplayer would be interesting but considering they built the game to be an SP experience with story behind what you're building, it'd be a little weird if they just tacked it on without working it into a proper mode.

Kysen

Just goes to show the shortsightedness of SE. The game could have blown up if they had the social stuff in from the start. By the time the next game comes out it will be years down the line.

udivision

DQB2 with multiplayer would be interesting but considering they built the game to be an SP experience with story behind what you're building, it'd be a little weird if they just tacked it on without working it into a proper mode.

I thought the game had several different modes. Wouldn't multi be another one?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean, would it actually be odd to just drop another player in as a co-op character?

I'm not under the impression there's interactive dialog or set pieces that would be awkward in co-op.

StereoVsn

Dragon Quest Builders costs about three to five times what other building games that get infinite updates do.

My original statement was meant to be satirical. Sorry, that probably wasn't apparent.
Ahh, yes, missed that. Sometimes it's hard to judge. Now, this makes sense.

Good point about the story but they could have had separate mode, at least co-op would have worked.

I'm pretty sure I read this on Gamasutra a while ago, but I guess it's good to see it said in English rather than relying on a possibly inaccurate translation.

Shouta

I thought the game had several different modes. Wouldn't multi be another one?

It has a free mode where I think you can show other players your towns and then a chapter system with different settings/conditions/story to go with it as far as I know.

I mean, would it actually be odd to just drop another player in as a co-op character?

I'm not under the impression there's interactive dialog or set pieces that would be awkward in co-op.

The game is designed around 1 player building things and doing story/quests. It's still part action RPG too though minor compared to the building, So some of the things they'd have you do would need to be redesigned for 2 or more players to make it a real multiplayer mode instead. Having two folks would make the finish chapter 1 in 20 game days challenge faceroll easy, for example, lol.

Arzehn

Is there an explanation on how the current online stuff works in DQB1? How do you share your creations?

Parfait

I'm happy with this. It's already loads better than minecraft for me: what with being in third person and not requiring me to mod the daylights out of it to have any fun- and i rarely did minecraft multiplayer anyway.

F4r0_Atak

They are cloning Minecraft and miss one of the features that made the experience so much better...

Not exaclty. As they provide you with schematics/blueprints for the different types of buildings in the game and also an actual reason for why you are rebuilding its world. That and the fact that it is a proper action rpg compared to MC. Sure it is a missed opportunity that they didn't include co-op (my GF is kinda sad about that), but they have to first release it in the west before making any plans for the sequel.

I'm happy with this. It's already loads better than minecraft for me: what with being in third person and not requiring me to mod the daylights out of it to have any fun- and i rarely did minecraft multiplayer anyway.

You and me both bruh! (The demo was a shit of tons of fun.)

giphy.gif

The first one not having MP at all* is really thoughtless, the Flag/Town system is perfect for it, make it so that only that character that placed the flag can build/destroy/craft/use storage in the big cube of light around the town, and unmarked areas are free-for-all, like Minecraft. The biggest problem with Minecraft's online for me was always inventory thieves.

*you can look at buildings online through one of the modes via code or random, iirc (similar to AC:NL's "Dream Suite"), but this is a really underwhelming use of multiplayer when compared to similar games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm day one if it ever comes to NA and I loved the crap out of the Demo, but not being able to play with my extended family at all is a bummer, since a surprising amount of us own PS4s.

Top Bottom