• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rex Crowle (Tearaway) launches KS for Knights&Bikes; Inspired by Earthbound & Goonies

FelipeMGM

EDIT: Rex didnt leave MM
yet
guys, this is a side thing he is doing.

Rex Crowle (Tearaway Lead) and Moo Yu formed Foam Sword Games last november, now they are launching a Kickstarter for their first game. A cooperative action game inspired by Earthbound, Legend Of Mana and The Goonies. Goal is for £100,000 and so far platforms are PC, Mac and Linux and its expected to launch in April 2017

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/foamsword/knights-and-bikes

CaM5W_eW0AAK4Cv.jpg

6CA3045DDE89FE34E43735F4EFD43382C02624FF

EAD1CBE3676897DCDB578B158C8F50F3A32AE290

CaM_PlCUEAAQKlh.jpg

The main character is actually named Nessa? That seems a bit on the nose as far as "Earthbound-inspired" goes.

Game looks cool though.

undu

As a game it reminds me of Costume Quest, although I have to say this looks much more charming.

Breads

Banned
It's hitting all of the right buttons with me and they definitely have the pedigree and the asking amount is more than reasonable.... it's the art style that gets me though. I like it - don't get me wrong, but there is too big a gamble on something so against the average gaming sensibilities and it feels like they aren't taking the hint they got from Tearaway. That no matter how amazing the game actually is that visual design can alienate your prospective audience. They are definitely willing to put the effort in the right places. It has that wonderful children's book quality to it but I feel like that some of those eyes/ most of those noses put the project at risk when I feel like in matters of art and design concessions should be made to widen your audience.

I hate saying this. I love the art. I feel like this will get backlash. But I feel like it needed to be said.

I hope I'm wrong about this and this game gets its funding. I'll probably back the art tier since they are offering originals.

Flipyap

Looks cute, but not sure if it's my kind of game. I might consider backing anyway if they add PS4 though.
I don't know about the PS4, but if the teaser image is to be believed, the game will also be released for calculators, a dog and a small ball of some kind.

WAPeUh2.gif

RK128

So, you have the creative lead behind my personal 2013 Game of the Year and a lead developer who made the gameplay systems for the original PS2 Ratchet games? I'm sold :D!

I love the personality the game has and it really invokes Tearaway on some visual levels; the characters being 2D but the world 3D reminds me of stuff like Paper Mario or Stick of Truth but having Tearaway's style makes it pop even more.

The music in the trailer was great and seeing the combat system in action was cool; really tapping into there Secret of Mana inspiration :). The bikes seem like a cool mechanic and I'm looking forward to learning more about that.

The games setting looks completely new to me and I love the mix of knights and Goonies-like game world. Very excited about this and I hope it gets a lot of support :D!

Will start funding this when they announce console versions, as my laptop isn't the best at running games :l.

RK128

It's hitting all of the right buttons with me and they definitely have the pedigree and the asking amount is more than reasonable.... it's the art style that gets me though. I like it - don't get me wrong, but there is too big a gamble on something so against the average gaming sensibilities and it feels like they aren't taking the hint they got from Tearaway. That no matter how amazing the game actually is that visual design can alienate your prospective audience. They are definitely willing to put the effort in the right places. It has that wonderful children's book quality to it but I feel like that some of those eyes/ most of those noses put the project at risk when I feel like in matters of art and design concessions should be made to widen your audience.

I hate saying this. I love the art. I feel like this will get backlash. But I feel like it needed to be said.

I hope I'm wrong about this and this game gets its funding. I'll probably back the art tier since they are offering originals.

Tearaway did badly on both Vita and PS4 not because of the art style but because Sony did a piss poor job marketing the game. No system bundles, not TV ads, no online ads and not even bothering to have trailers play before YT Videos (like they pushed for Battlefront, a game they don't own the rights to and didn't develop); Sony markets specific games but ignores most of the stuff they internally develop.

Sorry to go off topic, but Sony angers me with Tearaway, as it should of done a lot better then it did :(. You are not wrong about your point, a games art style can push people away. But I don't think its the look that is the issue but the marketing that is the problem.

With Rex making this on his own with a friend, marketing will be more present and it being a major Kickstarter will get alot of attention on its own merits.

GOOCHY

It looks great - I hope it ends up getting funded. Tearaway was such a great game. Unfortunately, people look at it with their own pre-conceived notions of what it is.

It looks great - I hope it ends up getting funded. Tearaway was such a great game. Unfortunately, people look at it with their own pre-conceived notions of what it is.

I loved the style but thought that the actual combat mechanics were really clunky and the game was too often nothing more than walking your character down a very linear path. It really could have used more puzzles, more branching paths, and more refined combat.

That said, still 100% on board for this when the inevitable PS4 version is announced.

Mdk7

Looks so great, i'm SO backing it.
It's incredible how Rex Crowle is able to speak directly to my inner child, seriously.
I can't help but love the stuff he makes, he's such a great artist all around.

JustSquid

this is the first game since H-Hour that I've backed.

If one of the characters says mint as much as the kid from Super 8, I'll buy 10 copies.

PSqueak

Banned
Art style reminds me a lot of Costume Quest, which i loved, im curious about this.

Everything is inspired by Earthbound, Metroid, or Dark Souls these days.

People tend to look up to the best in the craft for inspiration.

That said, naming one of their characters "Nessa" might be a bit too much.

Baliis

Will for sure keep an eye on this. Looks charming as hell and Tearaway is easily in my top 3 games of all time, absolutely fell in love with it when it came out.

Top Bottom