• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compile Heart announces Black Rose Valkyrie for PS4

Zhao_Yun

Announced in the new Famitsu.

CaMtVK3UMAAH05U.jpg

Black-Rose-Valkyrie-PS4-Ann_002.jpg

Teaser

Key Staff:

Character designer: Kosuke Fujishima (Tales of)
Scenario: Takumi Miyajima (Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss)
Director: Kenta Kanno (Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2)
Producer: Norihisa Kochiwa

Infos courtesy of Gematsu

Black Rose Valkyrie is a completely new RPG set in the first half of the 20th century where a hero, together with five heroines, battles monsters.

At first glance, it appears to be a retro military style orthodox story, but as a matter of fact, there is a traitor hiding among the heroines, and each time you play, the traitor is different.

The concept of day and night is key to the story. Some events only occur at certain times. Enemy strength and appearance rate also changes based on the time.

Interview Tidbits

• Event scenes use Live2D technology.
  • During interview parts, you can investigate signs of treachery among your group. Apparently, if you don’t investigate properly, things won’t turn out very well.
  • Several different endings are being prepared.
  • It’s possible your favorite character ends up being a traitor, but you’ll get results appropriate to the actions you take as their commanding officer.
  • Battles use a turn-based command system where the order of actions changes based on the speed of the character. Add another little twist and you’ve got a system that you can really dig into.

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/compile-heart-announces-black-rose-valkyrie-ps4

Well the look is certainly different compared to their past games.

Curious to see the gameplay though and character interactions.

Banned
That traitor concept actually sounds really interesting. I'm going to keep an eye on this game.

This is confusing as hell
Black Rose Valkyrie was announced under the brand “Idea Factory International.” However, this is not Idea Factory International the publisher in North America and Europe. In an e-mail, a company spokesperson explained to Gematsu, “Idea Factory International is a brand under Idea Factory / Compile Heart, just like Galapagos RPG and Otomate are also their brands

Taruranto

It doesn't look like your usual CH stuff, then again...

Black Rose Valkyrie is a completely new RPG set in the first half of the 20th century where a hero, together with five heroines, battles monsters.

You are not fooling me!

Whoa, I'm actually interested, though like Taru said, I'm wary of the potential harem nonsense.

Here's hoping this appeals to me.

duckroll

This is confusing as hell

I explained this in the Media Create thread last week, but yeah it's a really weird thing they announced in Japan. Basically they have started a new brand called Idea Factory International that encompasses all 3 companies - Idea Factory, Compile Heart, and Idea Factory International, and this new branding is going to be used to promote a line of upcoming titles. It's weird.

I explained this in the Media Create thread last week, but yeah it's a really weird thing they announced in Japan. Basically they have started a new brand called Idea Factory International that encompasses all 3 companies - Idea Factory, Compile Heart, and Idea Factory International, and this new branding is going to be used to promote a line of upcoming titles. It's weird.

If anything, this makes it sound as if they're taking the "International" part more seriously, which is great. But IFI being part of IFI.. ?_?

duckroll

If anything, this makes it sound as if they're taking the "Intenrational" part more seriously, which is great. But IFI being part of IFI.. ?_?

I agree that it SOUNDS like they're positioning this brand to be the "JRPGs for people who play JRPGs outside of Japan" label, with all the games possibly getting close releases or simul releases in the US. But who knows, lol.

As far as the actual naming of the brand goes, yeah it's really nonsensically confusing.

Zolo

Cautiously optimistic. Also admit I mistook the blonde haired girl on the bottom image for a guy. Looks sorta what your standard blonde-haired bishounen guy would look like though that may be due to the small image.

18-Volt

I like this new IF/CH. Gameplay heavy stuff, stealing talent from other companies, fast localization...

Only bad part about this game is the title. The word Valkyrie is so overused in JRPG's, I even forgot what that actually meant. Oh yeah, Norse mythology angels.

Falk

that puzzling face
This is the future of social VR interactions isn't it

It's probably going to be the "aunt-buys-this-on-Steam-to-prank-you-on-Skype-as-proof-that-old-people-are-still-hip" thing.

(That aunt totally counts for Steam concurrent counts though)

Honestly it's pretty amazing, I'd love to see "motion captured" Live 2D in a game.

Even cheap visual novels can already do this with FaceRig. Honestly it's only as good as the art it's animating though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The only Compile Heart game I've ever been interested in.

Damn Compile Heart stepping up their game.

It doesn't look like your usual CH stuff, then again...

This is not what I was expecting (In a good way).

Wow, a compile heart game that interests me? Looks cool.

The only Compile Heart game I've ever been interested in.

Can't wait for the Medabots Girls Mission-style twist in a few weeks
You know how those "interview" parts will turn out ;)

Arctick

Wow, that would be an awesome scenario for a game... if we didn't already know a random one of them is a traitor. Imagine if you we're playing this and find out your traitor was different than what you heard from someone else that had also played the game and neither of you thought it was part of the game.
Does look good tho.

Nuu

Banned
Oh, I remember that. It'll be interesting to see how it's implemented for this game.

Live2D from last year :

VkxK6mL.gif

tumblr_nh3rehLQ3z1qav3uso8_r1_500.gif

We had a thread about it last year here.

With the likes of Paperman, Guilty Gear Xrd, and this, it is interesting to see how animation is evolving. What "2D" animation is and what "3D" animation is is a line that is blurring everyday.

pbayne

Colour me interested. Wouldn't believe its a Compile heart game at first glance(not that that's a bad thing)

koutoru

Even cheap visual novels can already do this with FaceRig. Honestly it's only as good as the art it's animating though.
Well that's one thing CH doesn't have to worry about since their art always comes out the best when they're doing the VN skit/scenes.

wrowa

Yeah, I think you are in for an unpleasant surprise if you think "investigating properly" is anything but a bad excuse for molesting those heroines.

Top Bottom