• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars now playable on XB1 via BC

Playing Geometry Wars through backwards compatibility was the highlight of the preview program test. I was very disappointed when it was removed from the list of playable games when the public dashboard rolled out.

Today I was looking through my list of games and decided to fire up Geometry Wars just to see if it would work (tested it before and it gave an error). To my surprise it started right up and I was able to play.

I don't recall seeing the game on the latest list and I know they said they would just roll games out when ready but you would think they would crow about GW a bit since it is a fantastic game.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know it is available. Shoot me with twin sticks if old.

Didn't they pull it?

I didn't install it...then it disappeared, and I hadn't seen it since.

Glad to know it may be ready to kick back in.

I still had it installed from when I played it on the preview build. But it stopped working when the public release was out. Was surprised when it worked today.

Curious to see if it shows on the ready to install list for people not in the preview program.

KYZR

cool, never actually played the first, but I spent too many hours trying to get a high pacifism score on the sequel.

If anyone hasn't played Geometry Wars 3 yet , you should give it a go. It's a superb evolution of the series, and it comes with a lot of content. - All the classic modes are there too!

Ushay

Loving BC, I get to play Gears 2 and 3 through it. Hoping Dead Space gets the BC treatment too, I missed out on some of those games too.

muzzymate

I didn't realize there was a workaround. I would have tried that.

Yeah, if it was launched after the preview program expired, a licensing error appeared asking if you owned the content. The game would fail to launch.

Disconnecting from the network or putting it in offline mode allowed the game to launch. Not sure the mechanics behind it, but it worked.

Of note, my console does indicate it had an update. When sorting by last updated, it's pretty far back in the list. Wonder what t was finally crossed...

I went to Xbox.com and clicked download on xbox 360. Gave a message saying if it was BC compatible, it will show up in my queue/ready to install. But I still don't see it.

edit: oh, only for preview program?

8bit

Knows the Score
cool, never actually played the first, but I spent too many hours trying to get a high pacifism score on the sequel.

If anyone hasn't played Geometry Wars 3 yet , you should give it a go. It's a superb evolution of the series, and it comes with a lot of content. - All the classic modes are there too!

Cosigning this, 3 is really good.

Tain

How does it play? For such a lag dependant title any input latency is gonna be a deal breaker.

Has anyone done any latency tests between XBO backwards compatibility and a 360? I'd love to know if there's any unavoidable baked-in lag going on.

Estocolmo

They will to if they want to keep people excited about BC. Expecting us to just find it on our own doesn't seem smart.

Second game I see that has been available as BC since the mid-January update, yet Major Nelson hasn't reported about it. I want to get updates about what games are available as BC without having to stumble upon it on some threads on neogaf or some other gaming forum.

I hope Halo Wars comes soon, it's been on the "coming soon" list for ages.

Maybe they're waiting for it to be closer to Halo Wars 2's release date?

Not available at my place. Is it still a Preview thing or is it exclusive to a certain region?

I am on the preview dash. Not sure if that has something to do with it. I can confirm that it gave a license error back in November but worked this morning. And I was online for sure because I got the 360 friends online notification.

Any other no preview folk get this to work?

Syriel

Geometry Wars 1 was in preview then released months ago, its not a new release

You are wrong.

The original Geometry Wars was available during the test phase to users in the preview dash program, but it was never released.

When the BC program officially launched, Geometry Wars was not part of it.

If it is currently available, then it is a new release.

So... is this confirmed or not?

I fired it up again to see if it was just a fluke but it still worked. Did a quick video grab just for proof. haven't uploaded it to one drive but you can see it on my feed GT: studknckl

Again, not sure if this is because I am in the preview program and already had it downloaded when it worked in the earlier beta dashboard.

muzzymate

Has anyone done any latency tests between XBO backwards compatibility and a 360? I'd love to know if there's any unavoidable baked-in lag going on.

The Digital Foundry article mentioned they didn't notice any perceivable delay, but people swear up and down that there is. I guess I'm glad I'm not sensitive to it. I don't notice any.

Top Bottom