• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Members of german carnival parade use redface to spew refugee hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentRob

So this just blew my mind:

CapZ-U6W0AAQAaG.jpg

"The Indians didn't do anything against immigration.
Now they are living in reservations."

CapZ-VHXIAAT19g.jpg

"Poor as dirt in my own country
Oh, if only I'd be a migrant"

These people are seriously

a) comparing their life as the white majority in one of the most wealthy countries on the planet to the native american's history

b) painting their skin red and using the most stereotypical image of a native american possible to convey their racist bullshit.

Blackface/Redface aren't really frowned upon in germany because there
isn't much of a history with it over here, but over the last few years more and more people tried to make the public aware how incredibly offensive this stuff is.

This is a thing that happened two years ago in what was then germany's biggest entertainment show and there was a pretty big backlash because of it.:

image-580356-breitwandaufmacher-utuy-580356.jpg

Nivash

I've heard this argument plenty of times before from European far right extremists, especially when people bring up immigration to the US. First time I've seen it presented this blatantly though. Guess they must be getting bolder.

I think it underscores the fascist underpinnings of their worldview. They're completely convinced that might makes right and that humanitarianism is suicidal naivety. They're completely convinced that the only way to stay on top is to push everyone else down.

Another one:

Tanks against refugees. What a nice idea for carneval.

Nice choice of tank too, a goddamn Tiger. It's as if they're afraid that we wouldn't make the connection to Nazi Germany if they'd chosen to use a Leopard instead.

EDIT: My German is as rusty as an actual Tiger wreck on the Russian steps, but I think "asylabwehr" translates to "Asulym Defence" or something similar - as in defense against asylum seekers?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And another one:

CanTdB3WIAAX-_F.jpg

"They should fight for their country, instead of touching with their hand" (in relation to the incidents in cologne in new year)

Beefy

Black face has been a thing around that area of Europe for ages. It's seen in Spain and Italy etc as well. In the UK it died out ages ago, so you don't see it here. But you do get the odd racist/person who should know better doing it. This parade or meeting of racists is disgusting.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Blackface/Redface aren't really frowned upon in germany because their isn't much of a history with it over here, but over the last few years more and more people tried to make the public aware how incredibly offensive this stuff is.

To be honest, I had never heard of blackface before reading about it on GAF, since its origins are in American history and Germany never had a significant black population. Maybe I am particularly ignorant here, but none of the people I mentioned it to where aware of that either. So these morons likely didn't know about that either. The really worrying offensive nonsense are the xenophobic slogans, likely targeted against South European and Middle Eastern immigrants. Because these are definitely intentional.

la_briola

The first translation is wrong.

"didn't" should be "couldn't".

Nivash

And another one:

CanTdB3WIAAX-_F.jpg

"They should fight for their country, instead of touching with their hand" (in relation to the incidents in cologne in new year)

Oh, that one's even better. U96 is the Nazi German submarine known from the war epic "Das Boot". The implications of writing that someone should fight for their country on the hull of a Nazi attack sub is just gold. The Nazi uniforms is just icing on the cake at this point.

Alucrid

Banned
Black face has been a thing around that area of Europe for ages. It's seen in Spain and Italy etc as well. In the UK it died out ages ago, so you don't see it here. But you do get the odd racist/person who should know better doing it. This parade or meeting of racists is disgusting.
Have you not had the chance to join in our yearly zwarte piet threads.

This is a political message that I don't think I'd ever expect to see... Germans dressing as Native Americans protesting refugees in Europe...

I wasn't sure how red face could factor into Germans talking about their own immigrant and then I saw the pictures. God damn, there is like no comparison between what happened to the native americans and these immigrants coming into Germany. They picked a weak comparison to make and this is crazy.

Beefy

To be honest, I had never heard of blackface before reading about it on GAF, since its origins are in American history and Germany never had a significant black population. So these morons likely didn't know about that either. The really worrying offensive nonsense are the xenophobic slogans, likely targeted against South European and Middle Eastern immigrants. Because these are definitely intentional.

I think the reason why it died out ages ago in the UK is due to our ties with the US. I still find it crazy when seeing people in Italy think black face supports a footballer that has been racially abused in a past game.

Ratrat

The refugees are committing genocide now? Are they murdering, robbing and raping in the name of racial superiority?

injurai

Banned
I'm insulted that they are appropriating red face from white america.

Cause it should die in America.

Nightbird

Well, that kinda makes me happy that the carnival parade in our city got cancelled.
I couldn't imagine what the people here would come up with.

But I shouldn't be surprised at this. Stupid people do stupid things, news at eleen >.>

Condom

The whole situation has become one big joke, pro and anti have even been fighting on the streets in several countries

Greddleok

Eeesh, I'm staunchly against the influx, but this is just gross. It makes me worry when people like this are on my side.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
This is a political message that I don't think I'd ever expect to see... Germans dressing as Native Americans protesting refugees in Europe...

It is interesting to see this tactic currently at play and how it incorporates anti-US talking points. The intent is rather obvious, to me at least.

ElTorro

By the way, I just realized that the costumes with the black painted faces that caused that backlash are from a rather popular German novel and puppetshow from the 60ties: Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer. /edit: As is mentioned in the linked article.

2008-02-25-xxl--S07_4sp_Jim__Lukas_und_Turtur_mit_Emma_kl2_01.jpg

In the context of German culture, that particular costume was not meant to be offensive. Contrary to the other ones.

Anyone making this comparison should have a red face.

But it should be from embarrassment, not from face paint.

chadskin

It should be noted carnival parades in Germany are always used to comment on current political events, sometimes intentionally in a way to stir up controversies and debates.

That said, last year had certainly a different tone:
779x467.jpg

"This is the true downfall of the Western World".

ElTorro

It should be noted carnival parades in Germany are always used to comment on current political events, sometimes intentionally in a way to stir up controversies and debates.

The tank could have been seen as mockery of the AfD's latest statements if they had added caricatures of AfD politicians. But without it the intention seems to point rather clearly in the other direction.

oti

Banned
Karneval is usually a place for political commentary. Like: "Hey Merkel, we don't like what you're doing" and such. But those people investing time and money to attack refugees publicly shows you how being a racist idiot is getting more and more "OK" by the day in this country.

When it comes to blackface/redface etc. I really doubt those idiots really mean what those images initially portray. Those racist fucks just looked for a way to be racist without getting grandpa's Nazi uniform out of the closet so they painted their faces red and used the Native Americans for their attacks.

Fuck them.

Daingurse

This is completely fucked. The Native Americans "didn't do anything immigration" because they busy being the victims of genocide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom